DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1:32 Liebherr R9150 - Video added! Options · View
Davie82
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:14:04 PM
Groups: Member

Almost a week since my last update but I've been working hard and this last part has been extremely time-consuming and frustrating!

I made the right side of the superstructure, which although quite simple is very detailed. I made the angular/sloped front part first (fuel or hydraulic oil tank?) and you can see it in the last photos. This piece was very annoying to assemble but it worked out good and I'm pleased with it.

The most difficult parts to assemble were the grills for the radiators. Each grill has a large main aperture with ten angled slats, and there are smaller apertures above and below the main ones. I used 1mm styrene for the main slats and 0.5mm styrene for the smaller ones. The internal uprights are 0.5mm styrene with notches cut at 1.5mm intervals with a scalpel.

Here are all the parts assembled - I will level it all with sanding before I paint it. Two of the slats are at slightly too steep and angle so I will go back and adjust them later.

And some of my drawings, showing the next challenge: the cab!

Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 9:15:36 PM

Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks for sharing, and keep it up.
hummer13
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:04:57 PM

Nice job , doing grills is a pain in the butt

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:15:41 PM

Nice attention to details, time invested really shows !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
Davie82
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:36:46 PM

Thanks guys.

I've provisionally built the frame of the cab, and I'll probably prime, paint and finish it like the bucket because it's a separate component which will not be permanently attached to the model. I made a scale 6-foot guy to show the size of the machine. Teeth

Everything here is just sitting loosely in place, which is why there are few gaps and wonky edges... I can't fix the two sides of the superstructure until I have built the engine and hydraulic system detail, but I will probably be building the engine & exhaust cover next and continue with what I am able to do accurately. I may also redo the hinges on the doors with brass/aluminium as I'm not entirely pleased with the plastic ones.

I really need to sweet-talk Liebherr into giving me some better photos - they've already been in touch with me and have said that this machine is still a prototype which is why it's not on the website. I really hope no major changes are made if/when the machine goes into production!

Paul
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:57:42 PM

Now this is what I've been waiting for Applause

You seem to be making great progress and once again I can't wait to see the finished model.

Perhaps you'll be a little reluctant to sell it when it's finished but what if Liebherr themselves are interested in buying it!.

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Davie82
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:04:59 PM

Thanks Paul - I'd be delighted if there was a buyer for this model as it would give me the inspiration to do the other side of the tracks, LOL. Cool

By way of progress, I'm actually almost done with the "outside" of the model, so to speak - I have done the top engine cover (provisionally, without detail) and have finished the walkways.

Video coming soon!!

After one very frustrating first attempt, I ended up making a jig for the walkways with 1.5mm mounting board (very thick paper, basically). It worked a treat.

I used CA to fix the fabric gauze to the support framework.

Temp. fixing to the model, and a sneak preview of the engine cover...

And after many more frustrating hours of labour, this:

Paul R
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:09:13 PM

Looking very nice indeed!

Paul R
Greasemonkey
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:39:27 PM

I'm so impressed by this build, that it's hard to put it into words. Keep up the great work, and keep the updates coming. I can't wait to see this finished.
Davie82
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:06:48 PM

Thanks guys - it's nice when the details go on the model because they make all the boring and tedious bits worthwhile!

Here's a video of the model... perhaps I'll do more when 1) I have a better camera, and 2) I'm not looking after my son!

Click to redirect:

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:21:48 PM

Nice video even have the railing retaining blocks complete with 4 bolt heads nice touch of realism there !Cool

Chet

Davie82
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:39:24 PM

Here's an update of a different kind - disaster strikes!

I left the living room for a couple of minutes and returned to find that my son had managed to reach my cutting mat (big one, A2 size) and pull it off the table... and the model with it. So the model came crashing to the floor from a height of 75cm.

But, amazingly, no damage to the model whatsoever - that styrene is made of tough stuff, and thankfully because I had tacked parts of the model together they came apart quite easily, and the rest (including the tracks) escaped unscathed. You can see the engine grill section at the bottom right of the picture... it fell far!

I've taken a short break and will get back into it on Monday... still having an absolute NIGHTMARE trying to find tinted plastic for the cab windows.
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:55:24 PM

Well that sucks, that styrene can take a fall. Hopfully you can get it all back together quick.
I like the video shows off more than just pics

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:56:44 PM

Well that sucks, that styrene can take a fall. Hopfully you can get it all back together quick.
I like the video shows off more than just pics

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:07:10 PM

I looked at the photo and my heart sank! Then I read the post and thought "you lucky man!".

I hope your son now knows not to mess with Daddies stuff!

Paul R
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:04:05 PM

That sucks... lucky it took a licking and kept on ticking !

Quote:
Still having an absolute NIGHTMARE trying to find tinted plastic for the cab windows.

That is an easy fix... go get automotive window tint from an autoparts store comes in different shades light to dark..
Buy regular clear thin plastic and cut for windows follow tinting directions and use a credit card to squeegee on the tint you will be more than happy with the results !Usually comes with a small rubber squeegee.

Regards
Chet

Dex
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:04:35 PM

Davie82 wrote:
still having an absolute NIGHTMARE trying to find tinted plastic for the cab windows.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one option that will look clean: Tinted adhesive film for automotive lights. AKA headlight/taillight tint film. It's pretty thin, and a million times more uniform than any hobby shop spray-on tint. The adhesive is forgiving enough that if you mess up, you can peel it off the clear window plastic without headache. It'll allow you to change it with ease if you're unsatisfied with the result. They sell two or three different darknesses. Ebay is a good source for it. I got a 12x28" roll for less than $5 shipped.

This is the "light gray" one.

Hope this helps!

LatticeCraneMan wrote:

That is an easy fix... go get automotive window tint from an autoparts store comes in different shades light to dark..
Buy regular clear thin plastic and cut for windows follow tinting directions and use a credit card to squeegee on the tint you will be more than happy with the results !Usually comes with a small rubber squeegee.

Regards
Chet

That's also a good idea Chet. However, the type of tint that you usually find at your local auto store is going to be 15-20 dollars more than the headlight lint, the adhesive is super aggressive, and the less expensive ones will blue/purple over time. Just speaking from my experience with the two products. One clear advantage of the window tint is it's thinner, but it makes it tear and come apart if you try to remove it once the adhesive cures and sets it.

Dan85
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:00:10 PM

Awesome work!

I have some "Clear Gray PVC" from Midwest Products, product number 704-04, size .005"x7.6"x11".

Midwest Products Website

It's too flimsy by itself, but maybe they make a thicker version? I think micro-mark makes a clear window adhesive, which might work for adhering it to a plain, clear piece of plastic without any discoloring.

There are also spray tint products, but it may be too dark. "Night Shades" is the common name if I recall correctly.

Rockblocker style fog light tint/protection might be another avenue too, though I can't find their website.

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
Davie82
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:53:25 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys. I actually bought a small sample of automotive tint film but it didn't work well because it had an annoying "frosty" texture and was difficult to see through. Here in the UK the choice of tint films is pretty poor... either it's almost black, or it's got some colour in it, or it's totally mirrored on the outside and you can't see a darn thing through it. MEH!

However, I have one more idea, kind of along the same lines: filter gels for studio lights/camera flash guns. Despite being called "gels" they are basically exactly the same as automotive tint films but much higher quality because of their intended use. I have ordered a 24cm x 24cm sheet which I can double over if it's not dark enough, and it cost me the princely sum of £2, about $3. :d/