DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Incredible new book on Oshkosh snow plows... Options · View
ap40rocktruck
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:12:44 PM

Groups: Member

Hi All,
I just received my copy of this amazing book on the complete history of the venerable Oshkosh WT-2206. An absolute MUST have & read for anyone interested in trucks, especially Oshkosh & snow removal.

http://northlandpress.net/The_WT-2206_Americas_Cold_Warror.html

Happy Reading

Ap40

Richard Mark
Owner/ Master Model Maker
Industrial Model Design
rick@industrialmodeldesign.com
http://industrialmodeldesign.com
todd s
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:29:01 PM

It was a long time in the making and I'm glad I got to help with it.

Here's my ugly child.

ap40rocktruck
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:38:28 PM

Todd,
There is absolutely NOTHING ugly about that truck!

Rick

Richard Mark
Industrial Model Design
diesel michael
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:41:07 PM

Would you mind posting a few pics from the book?

"DO IT IN THE DIRT"
todd s
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:32:22 PM

ap40rocktruck wrote:
Todd,
There is absolutely NOTHING ugly about that truck!

Rick

Thank you Rick.

On an interesting side note. Two years ago when I was helping Jim with some info for his book I discovered that him and my dad used to work together. They were both field mechanics for Wagner Caterpillar at the same oil shale mine in Colorado in 1981-1982.

diesel michael wrote:
Would you mind posting a few pics from the book?

Follow the link and click on the photos at the bottom of the page.

http://northlandpress.net/The_Book.html
dain555
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:44:24 PM

Boy does this bring back memories!!!!!! The only different thing I worked with was the snow blower with the ribbons on the blower head had a rear engine for the truck that was behind the blower engine and it also had the slanted windshield right by the blower. Had numerous runway/taxiway lights put thru the windshield of that blower truck.

I also drove similar snow plows to the one on the cover of the book with the roll over plow!!! I did a 180 degree spin in one of those plows which we called "Cow Plows" because it didn't have the wing plows on them.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 2:24:06 PM

I lived in Oswego,NY for many years,those of you who know about upstate New York snow in the winter. Also know about the snow fleets. Oswego, Public Works use to have a fleet of Oshkosh snow plows,two of which had grader blades to break up ice on the roads. The winter of 1993 was the worst snow storm I'd encountered while living there . The plow trucks worked for four days straight after that storm. I don't know if they still have their Oshkosh fleets but they were something to watch working.

Fond memory's of Oshkosh plow trucks of all types working in snowy up state New York. I miss NY.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

ap40rocktruck
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 3:01:29 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

I lived in Oswego,NY for many years,those of you who know about upstate New York snow in the winter. Also know about the snow fleets. Oswego, Public Works use to have a fleet of Oshkosh snow plows,two of which had grader blades to break up ice on the roads. The winter of 1993 was the worst snow storm I'd encountered while living there . The plow trucks worked for four days straight after that storm. I don't know if they still have their Oshkosh fleets but they were something to watch working.

Fond memory's of Oshkosh plow trucks of all types working in snowy up state New York. I miss NY.

Nice to here a familiar voice & story! Oswego County still has a few Oshkosh P & F series plow trucks & at least one of them has a belly blade. Sadly though most of the newer units are all Western Star's. I still live in eastern Oswego county, not far from where I grew up. Moved away for about 16 years, but home is where the seasons change & snow piles high.Teeth Teeth

Ap40

Richard Mark
Industrial Model Design
Dan85
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:26:08 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Yes, they do still have quite a few Oshkosh trucks up there:

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:20:59 PM

ap40rocktruck wrote:
FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Nice to here a familiar voice & story! Oswego County still has a few Oshkosh P & F series plow trucks & at least one of them has a belly blade. Sadly though most of the newer units are all Western Star's. I still live in eastern Oswego county, not far from where I grew up. Moved away for about 16 years, but home is where the seasons change & snow piles high.Teeth Teeth

Ap40

It's a small world. It nice to hear from someone that's lived close to Oswego. It was a great place to live in the 90's,I don't know what it's like present day . I was hoping those trucks still had life and that made my day when in this post I learned they're still very much alive. Great post on a truly legendary Truck.

Dan,

Thank you,those trucks made my day. I wish I'd had a video camera back in 93 to film all the goings on by my local Oswego Public Works Depts. Those folks did a hell of a job plowing the roads in the four days. I think they couldn't have done it without those Oshkosh trucks,seriously it was bad . I had heard over the Ham radio people were stuck on a stretch of highway close to Fulton ,NY. The National Guard and anyone with a snow mobile helped rescue the dummy's trapped.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Plow Chaser
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 8:42:54 PM

Dan we need another trip to that garage!!

I got the book ordered and am anxiously awaiting its arrival!! Good to see books on the big snow fighters hitting the shelves.

http://hankstruckpictures.com/ryan_pedone.htm

http://www.youtube.com/plowchaser

www.allreadymix.com
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:44:38 PM

Plow Chaser wrote:

I got the book ordered and am anxiously awaiting its arrival!! Good to see books on the big snow fighters hitting the shelves.

Sorry to interrupt your conversation but if you do go back. Try in the fall when Salmon fishing season starts. That coupled with the Oshkosh snowplows in one trip ,perfect. That is if you guys do any fishing type stuff. I highly recommend Salmon fishing in Oswego,NY and a little town called Pulaski,NY .

Not to mention Harborfest in the summer,oh man that was fun.

-Unknown

dain555
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:19:22 PM

I'd like to know if the trucks in the book are gas or diesel???

When I was in the Air Force in Maine we had 12 cylinder gas Oshkosh plows like these too and the diesel trucks as well. It was fun riding in the gas trucks while plowing the runway. We'd get the trucks up to about 55 mph on the 2 mile runway and the fire that came out of the exhaust stack was cool to see at night!! The stack even turned a bright orange from the heat!!

The one plow truck we had, had a sanding box fixed on it and that was a 12 cylinder gas engine and you could here that coming for a mile or so down the roads on the base!!

I even remember the old Walter plows which back in the 60's were the only true 4 wheel drive trucks around. They had drive chain going from a gear box down to each wheel. Those trucks could push snow boy, with a good V plow and wings they were almost unstoppable!!!!

Hey guys I'm from the Geneva, NY area and I can remember some of the counties like Seneca county having a few of these Oshkosh trucks too!! Only thing is, the one in the book has the roll over plow which in general were used by the military and airports. The reason was the blade on the plow and the shoes it had too. The shoes would wear down to the point that the blade (or cutting edge) were both in contact with the pavement surface thus cleaning the surface much better and then the air-blast sweeper could finish the cleaning. The air-blast sweeper was a towed piece of equipment that had a large wire brush and blower that were engine driven.

Most public works plow trucks have shoes/wheels that are set to keep the plow blade/cutting edge about an inch or more off the pavement surface. This is mainly due to the man holes and valve covers that are in most roads for sewers and water. Believe me it is a hard jolt when you hit a man hole in the road, been there done that!!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

todd s
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:17:08 PM

dain555 wrote:

The trucks in the book originally had Hall-Scott gas engines. They were a beast of an engine with twin Holly 4-barrel carbs. I have had a few people that used to work around them tell me about how the exhaust stack glowed and how then engine would shoot flames out the stack when working hard. Starting in the late 70's, when the trucks were rebuilt the gas engines were replaced with a Cat diesel engine.
dain555
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 12:02:10 PM

Yes Todd that's about right.

The plows we had were also two stick transmissions in the gasoline trucks and automatic in the diesels. It was my first experience with a two stick transmission in a truck, most of the other trucks I drove previously were single stick with the splitter.

I also recall some had a Rolls Royce engine too that were 12 cylinder gas engines. I recall being told that that's what some of the engines were in our plows at the Air Base I was at.

Dain

todd s
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 1:29:50 PM

dain555 wrote:
Yes Todd that's about right.

The plows we had were also two stick transmissions in the gasoline trucks and automatic in the diesels. It was my first experience with a two stick transmission in a truck, most of the other trucks I drove previously were single stick with the splitter.

I also recall some had a Rolls Royce engine too that were 12 cylinder gas engines. I recall being told that that's what some of the engines were in our plows at the Air Base I was at.

Yes the larger trucks (WT-2206) had a Alison TG-602R three speed power shift transmission. This would enable them to shift gears under full throttle and full load.

From what I have gathered, when a truck would blow an engine (more specifically, normally the blower engine) the local air force mechanics would sometimes replace it with a spare aircraft piston engine as they had many spare engines sitting around due to the jet engine phasing out the piston engine. Due to this, Rolls Royce Merlins/Packard V-1650s and Allison V-1710s were sometimes pressed into service as blower engines. I was told this extra power normally also required the replacement of the two blower sheer pins with 4 grade 8 bolts. I have also been told a few stories about the blower then being able to do things like damage aircraft and blow a bag full of 14.00x24 tire chains through a hanger wall.
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:32:19 PM

The trucks we had at Loring AFB in Maine had 12 cylinder gas engines for the blower carrier/plows and for the blower engines they had 6 cylinder Caterpillar engines similar to what would have been in a D8 dozer. Some of the newer or rebuilt trucks and plows had a Cat engine for the carrier/plow and the Cat engine for the blower.

The automatic transmissions we had were unique to say the least. To start out the truck you'd shift the lever down into the 1 position for first gear and go till the engine got to the maximum RPM then shift the lever into the 2 position and so on till you got to the 4 or 5 position depending on where you were driving, like if on the runway or main taxiway you'd shift to 5. You didn't need a clutch which is why it was considered automatic. It definitely was not like driving a car with automatic where you put it in "D" and go with the car doing the shifting, if you did the truck like that it would tear up the transmission in the truck.

Oh man this brings back the fond memories of my time working with these trucks even though I only had 2 winters worth of using them.

Dain

ap40rocktruck
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:08:50 PM

todd s wrote:
dain555 wrote:

The trucks in the book originally had Hall-Scott gas engines. They were a beast of an engine with twin Holly 4-barrel carbs. I have had a few people that used to work around them tell me about how the exhaust stack glowed and how then engine would shoot flames out the stack when working hard. Starting in the late 70's, when the trucks were rebuilt the gas engines were replaced with a Cat diesel engine.

The book covers both the early gas powered & the later diesel powered. The gas was a Hall-Scott 1091 ci 6 for the truck & a Continental air cooled V-12 for the blower. The later diesel units had the 1693T in the truck & the D346 V-12 in the blower.

Ap40

Richard Mark
Industrial Model Design
ap40rocktruck
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:09:57 PM

Plow Chaser wrote:

Count me in on that trip, only about 50 minutes from home!

Ap40

Richard Mark
Industrial Model Design
Plow Chaser
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:56:41 PM

I just got my copy in the mail today and OH MY!!! This is the ultimate book on Oshkosh plows. Jim Menard did a phenomenal job with this and I recommend anyone who loves Oshkosh trucks or anything snow plows to get a copy of this book.

http://hankstruckpictures.com/ryan_pedone.htm

http://www.youtube.com/plowchaser

www.allreadymix.com