DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Photobucket Issues Options · View
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:57:27 AM
Groups: Member

Just a little rant, but does anyone else feel like they are getting screwed over from Photobucket. Last "month" my Photobucket was over my 10GB bandwidth cap and they block out my photos that I posted around the internet, and they say that next "month" your photos will appear again. Ok my photos come back up in mid July. I only upload one or two pics, and my photo bucket exceeded the 10gb bandwidth cap again for the "month". I am going under the impression that if you go over your bandwidth cap for a month, then next month the amount of bandwidth you use starts over again based on if you uploaded any new photos or videos for that "month". I quoted month as their idea of what a is month is based on the date you registered. I do have 2 accounts, but one is for diecast pics, and the other is for 1:1 pics and I do not feel like having or managing 5 accounts. Also too you can pay to have additional bandwidth but there is no way I am going give them a single penny additional bandwidth when there are free sites like Flickr, and Imageshack, Slickpic and more. Photobucket also has advertisements so I should not have to pay for additional bandwidth. Not that I do not mind signing up for these free photo hosting sites but Photobucket should have unlimited bandwidth in the first place, and you should not have to pay for additional bandwidth. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is and I should not have to pay anything just to post a pic of a piece of equipment or a model in my collection. I not trying to sound cheap but If I had the option of using money to buy additional bandwidth or an extra model in my collection, I would chose the model. Sorry if you had to read trough this long rant, but I never get this upset over something.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

dain555
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:25:02 AM

I hear ya on that Mike but you also have to stop and figure the thousands of people (or millions if you look at it world wide) who use photobucket on a daily basis. One of the reasons they are there is for photo sharing like on DHS but actually they aren't meant for "Long Term Storage" of ones photos that is what CDs, flash drives and other storage devices/companies are for. They also charge for additional band width because they have to invest in additional equipment for the storage of all the digital information that people want to save.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
laurent o.e.987
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:37:58 PM

They kinda got us by the curly's Mike. I bought 45$ a year worth of storage, as mine was full too.
D5G
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:01:02 PM

Honestly Mike, I agree with you but these days you can't afford to post a pic anywhere on the net of a jobsite if anyone is actually working. Even companies that have the best safety policies and safety equipment have become the target of any and every nazi like government agency/agencies. I keep all my stuff on thumb drives or CDs nowadays.

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
apm2754
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:34:51 PM

Hosting costs money, servers cost money, bandwidth costs money.

Uploading 1 or 2 pictures will affect your storage space, but that's a separate issue from bandwidth. Bandwidth is the amount of your data in the "pipeline" from their servers. Storage is the amount of space on the hard drives of their servers that your stuff uses. You could upload 0 photos in a month but exceed your bandwidth because of all the stuff that you've shared.

Everytime someone views one of your photos that you've shared, it uses a portion of your available bandwidth. It doesn't matter when you share it or upload it, it matters when they view it. If you share a photo that is 100 KB in size, every time someone views that photo over the internet, it costs 100 KB of bandwidth space. So you have 100's of photos shared. And you post them in a lot of places. Every time someone sees that photo on their computer, you get charged 100 KB of bandwidth. You post 10 photos of that size in a thread on DHS. Now every time someone reads that thread, their browser is downloading the photos to display on the web page. Now that's 10 x 100 KB, or almost 1 MB. Now multiply that by the number of people who see the post. Now multiply all the people who see all of your posted photos every where you've posted them in the course of a month. It starts to add up pretty fast. Once that number gets to 10 GB, they stop serving your photos. 10 GB is a lot of bandwidth for just photos for free.

Some things you can do it to take down some of your older photos, or move them to a different location in photobucket. This will break the link if you've posted them to a lot of sites.

Another thing you can do is to use the IMG thumb option instead of the img code. This will show only a small thumbnail, unless the person clicks on the photo. So if you post 10 photos in a thread & someone is only interested in 1 of them, they down load 9 small thumbnails and only 1 large photo, saving you bandwidth.

- Andy

CAT324DL
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:05:32 PM

I ditched Photobucket years ago, and switched to Flickr. That was one of my best decisions ever. $25 a year, and upload as much as you want, no problems.

-Mike
Cat345bl
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:07:17 PM

Thanks Guys I appreciate the support. I do backup all of my pictures on flash drives, but I am also a member of Hanks Truck Pics, and I have a lot of pics on threads that I continuously update that are years old so I have a lot of pics. I know Photobucket has over head, but 45 dollars a year for storage seems a bit steep for me. A Standard free flickr user can can upload 1 terrabite of storage or about 500,000 photos which seems reasonable. I might have to look into getting account, but some of my pics I want private, is that possible?

D5G, I agree with you I barley take pics of machines working, most of the time they are parked on streets or done for the day. I have not had the time, or the vantage point to get some good equipment pics of lately, and now that my photobucket is down, I guess you not be see any of my equipment pics, If I had any.

dain555
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 12:23:02 PM

I checked out what Photobucket charges and they state that if you get any paid extra storage such as 10 MB you get actually 12 MB of storage AND unlimited bandwidth for about $30/month. The ONLY accounts the regulate the bandwidth on are the FREE 2MB storage accounts that get a 10MB bandwidth period.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Paul R
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 12:32:00 PM

I have used Photobucket for several years as a paid subscriber and have had no hassles. The $30 per year I pay equates to about $0.01 or less per photo so it is not exactly hurting my wallet. Also no ad's and no limits on bandwidth.

In my opinion, it is the same as anything else and you get what you pay for.

Paul R
CAT324DL
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 3:54:49 PM

Cat345bl wrote:
but some of my pics I want private, is that possible?

Yes it is, you can make any photo private. Flickr also has a desktop app, where you can use it to upload photos to your account without having to go online to the website, very handy.

-Mike
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:40:09 AM

i use to post my photos on my freewebs site, but reached the limit, so had to pay 10 bucks a month for more storage, that didnt last long. so i created my facebook page. i have well over atleast 5000 pics on there so far, plus its free and works the same

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:42:25 PM

I just registered for a Flickr account earlier this week, and I like it so far.

Cat345bl
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 6:26:07 PM

Might want to read this before posting any pictures here from Photobucket. There is no way I will be paying them ANYTHING so I can share my pictures on a 3rd Party Site. Do you know how much diecast I can buy for $400. Photobucket is one of the most unethical companies for not notifying their users about these changes and their website is very corrupt, runs so bad on my browser (only website that does that). Thank You I will take all of picture uploading to Flickr ,and elsewhere.

Quinella
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 7:53:01 PM

Same here. It runs horribly anyway. But $400.00 is absurd. Maybe Chuck can figure a way to post directly the Forum. Since I spend about $100,000 a year, he should!!! CAW
hummer13
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:59:15 PM

Well I am right there with you guys , no more photobucket. I am not paying the minimum $400 to put my pics up. Thats the new minimum to be able to host 3rd party, I have had them for years and this is ridiculous, i can see if they had no outside advertising but its plastered all over their site. I see them losing more customers in the long run.

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:50:01 PM

I always hated using that site, due to the numerous advertising slowing you down all the time.

I typically use it for "projects building" pictures. But for finished projects, and weathering jobs, I always preferred Flick'r. Only problem is that you must create a Yahoo e-mail account. But that I had it already.

S.

Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 9:27:23 AM

Quinella wrote:
Since I spend about $100,000 a year

Huh?!?

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Paul R
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 10:57:57 AM

I am very sad to hear this. Photobucket for me has been adequate for my needs, which was to store and share photos. I have been paying a small subscription to get rid of the ads so was usable for me.

It is even more frustrating as I have about 8yrs worth of photos linked to this site and one other. I think around 4500 photos in total.

At the moment the links are still working it seems but I wonder for how much longer? I guess it will be until my current subscription period runs out.

Not sure what I will do after that.

Paul R
Quinella
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 12:19:37 PM

ChandlerYohn: That was a rip at Chuck. Maybe an extra zero or so!!!! CAW
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 1:13:02 PM

Quinella wrote:
ChandlerYohn: That was a rip at Chuck. Maybe an extra zero or so!!!! CAW

Hi Quinella... glad you were just joking otherwise we'd have to arrange some kind of intervention for you. LOL!

Take care and I hope you're having a great long weekend.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube