DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

DRAKE FUTURE RELEASES Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 2:53:44 PM

Groups: Member

Could someone, who knows, explain how these trailers widen? I was told that they have to be moving forward to widen. Otherwise, the friction would ruin the wheels, tires...etc. If so, would the same be true when they return the trailer to original width? Then how do the axles work? Are axles under each wing with the appropriate number of wheels? Final question, in this video posted above, they still took off the bucket. Why would that be required? These trucks/trailers are unbelievable, as is the models. I don't want one because I would never see one in the good old South. Same reason I don't buy European trucks, even though I love the heck out of them. CAW
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 3:14:35 PM

This is a fantastic announcement, thanks so much for the update! I was wondering when this project would be released. It is interesting that they built flexibility into the model, but I wonder why they limited the "add-on" kit. I'm really pumped for all of the display options... Wirtgen 4100 SM, Bucyrus 8750 maintenance, 400 ton mining truck haulage, Alcoa Komatsu D575...

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 3:17:45 PM

Double post, sorry. Anxious

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 5:25:22 PM

KyleS wrote:
They do not come with a tractor, you buy a Drake K200 or C509 or T909/908 if you do not already have one. Matching liveries of each trailer are available for the truck if you do not already have a truck/tractor/prime mover.

These are already expensive as is, with a trucks they would easily be over $1000 for a complete set with all the addition sections to add to the trailer.

I personally would like to see more pictures/video of how it widens vs the system used on the standard swing wing trailers. Does this widen just the deck and the axles stay where they are like many pictures I've seen of Australian trucks? I hope not. I'm not a fan of that setup. Full widner would seem to suit weight distribution better.

KyleS,

First, since the poster of the Drake Information is located in Australia as well as Drake, the purchase prices posted are most likely in Australian dollars. For you and I here in the United States, $495.00 Australian equates to approximately $365.00 US and $370.00 Australian equates to approximately $275.00 US, for a total of approximately $640.00 US. Significantly less that the $1,000.00 figure for the trailer and "add-on" kits.

Second, the Drake press release says the following: “Drake is planning on releasing up to 17 different colours/company liveries which will include everyone’s favorites and a few new ones…..” Since there are currently no existing truck/tractor/prime movers available for these new ones, that would lead one to believe that truck/tractor/prime movers will be released with the release of this new trailer.
Robert Heuston
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 6:38:16 PM

Quinella wrote:
Could someone, who knows, explain how these trailers widen? I was told that they have to be moving forward to widen. Otherwise, the friction would ruin the wheels, tires...etc. If so, would the same be true when they return the trailer to original width? Then how do the axles work? Are axles under each wing with the appropriate number of wheels? Final question, in this video posted above, they still took off the bucket. Why would that be required? These trucks/trailers are unbelievable, as is the models. I don't want one because I would never see one in the good old South. Same reason I don't buy European trucks, even though I love the heck out of them. CAW

I think I'm your man for this question.

When I worked at NHH(National heavy haulage) I was based with that 12 row in he video.
You have 2 options for widening the modules. Depending on the driver.

Option 1:
Release trailer breaks, Jack the trailer up slightly, drop block stand(pictured) under neath the spine at the rear of the trailer, release the locking pins, then widen to the desired width, lock pins, Jack trailer and position block stand back where it lives.

Option 2:
Release air locks, creep forward and back while widening to desired width, lock pins back in, and load.

As for in the video, Mactrans is Based in Brisbane Qld, and Qld has riduculous permit requirements, there are 2 reasons for stick and bucket being removed.
A) total weight would have breached permit.
B) would have breached hieght limits leaving Brisbane.(which would be why the machine was loaded back with boom sitting down over the back of the trailer.
Robert Heuston
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 6:42:57 PM

KyleS wrote:
They do not come with a tractor, you buy a Drake K200 or C509 or T909/908 if you do not already have one. Matching liveries of each trailer are available for the truck if you do not already have a truck/tractor/prime mover.

These are already expensive as is, with a trucks they would easily be over $1000 for a complete set with all the addition sections to add to the trailer.

I personally would like to see more pictures/video of how it widens vs the system used on the standard swing wing trailers. Does this widen just the deck and the axles stay where they are like many pictures I've seen of Australian trucks? I hope not. I'm not a fan of that setup. Full widner would seem to suit weight distribution better.

Each axle is fitted to the pontoon. Where the trailer you are thinking of, the axles are pitted to the spine and the pontoon widen alone. Commonly know. As the "deck widener" I personally dont like them.
Quinella
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 10:51:20 PM

Thanks Robert. That explains how they widen them. But on the bucket and stick, how much weight do they comprise when you are looking at a trailer that appears that it can carry New Zealand!!!. what is limit on that trailer. What is the foremost advantage of these trailers, width extension, hauling capacity, ease of loading, function...etc?
rare ss
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 11:41:29 PM

Quinella wrote:
Thanks Robert. That explains how they widen them. But on the bucket and stick, how much weight do they comprise when you are looking at a trailer that appears that it can carry New Zealand!!!. what is limit on that trailer. What is the foremost advantage of these trailers, width extension, hauling capacity, ease of loading, function...etc?

What the trailer can carry (engineered for) and what the legally permissible axle loadings are can greatly vary depending on bridges and local regulations, the platforms are built for 25t per axle line however they can only carry between 12t and 18t per axle line "on highway"

Biggest advantage is the steering, any more that 5 axle groups and you require steering to allow the trailer to actually turn when required Smiley
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:14:01 AM

I've seen a PC1250(as videoed) on a 5x8 combo without counterweight and weighed about 85-90t.
Here in New South Wales where I live. It can be done like that.
Qld don't recognize 5x8 combo. So onto a platform it goes.

With stick and bucket on, and folded up for transport, he would still be over permit hieght.
Which would be why the my are taken off.
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:19:45 AM

Sorry RMS, you are right. I forgot that prices were AUD not USD so yes my estimate is way to high. Though I was pricing as a combination including a prime mover so the price would still be higher.

As far as the liveries go I was referring to the new trailer most likely being produced in the current prime mover liveries. Being that there was no official announcement of matching trucks to the "new" liveries I was not expecting new truck liveries. I figure they would announce new truck liveries if they are announcing new trailer liveries. Since they did not I thought the trucks remained the same. My misunderstanding.

- Kyle
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:23:42 AM

And all depends on who passes the travel permit.

The 12 line with dolly I sure move is good for around 300t.
On road. Here where I live, late say 180t.(L1850 biggest I've seen.)

In WA where Rare SS lives, what ever they can get.
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:31:39 AM

How much does it help having the Dolly? For ex, I forget how much a 3x8 can carry alone but can it carry more then a 4x8 with out dolly? I need to make a diagram of the available axle/line and dolly setups and the hat their weight limits are.

- Kyle
rare ss
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:46:40 AM

Here's afew WA shifts.. fully dressed WA1200 on 16 lines

Fully dressed 830E haul truck on 11 rows of 8 + dolly

Dressed 730E on 11 rows of 8, no dolly

rare ss
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:50:09 AM

KyleS wrote:
How much does it help having the Dolly? For ex, I forget how much a 3x8 can carry alone but can it carry more then a 4x8 with out dolly? I need to make a diagram of the available axle/line and dolly setups and the hat their weight limits are.

Dolly gives you an extra x2 lines (up to 36t - minus the tare weight of the dolly)
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 12:54:29 AM

As stated, depends on state for weights.

Here in NSW. Can get around 16t per axle line.

So 6t on steer, 18.5t(overload permit) on bogie drive.
32t on a 2x8 dolly @4.2m.
So say on a 10 line.
10x16=160t.

So we work it out.
14.5t for truck(heavy spec T909)
6.5t for dolly.
Roughly 50t for the 10line.
24.5+32+160=216.5t gross.

216.5-14.5-6.5-50=145.5t payload.

Sorry about the math.
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 2:12:24 AM

Great info Robert. I forgot about the steering of the trailers. All I can say is " Sh*t Fire and save the matches"!!!! Those are beasts. Surely there is a crew that rides with these. Just wonderful trucks. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. CAW
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 3:32:53 AM

Quinella wrote:
Great info Robert. I forgot about the steering of the trailers. All I can say is " Sh*t Fire and save the matches"!!!! Those are beasts. Surely there is a crew that rides with these. Just wonderful trucks. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. CAW

I was the rear pilot, my job was to widen, load, guide under trucks, watch the tyres when turning around kurbs.

It's all full on when working with these trailers. And can't wait to start again on Monday.
Save1er
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 10:13:34 PM

These are nice. I saw a video on the different models these run in on youtube a couple months ago and ever since then I've been interested in these trailers.

Here's the one that started it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIq3fLWBu_Y
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 11:32:35 PM

Save1er wrote:
These are nice. I saw a video on the different models these run in on youtube a couple months ago and ever since then I've been interested in these trailers.

Here's the one that started it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIq3fLWBu_Y

It's so much better when you get he chance to work with them.
Robert Heuston
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 3:58:28 AM

Just a few to tease everyone.