DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Manitowoc Cranes at Las Vages Navada test site Options · View
ben94f150
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:42:57 PM
Groups: Member

Hello members I am looking for some older pictures on some unique custom built Manitowoc Cranes that were made for Reynolds Electical & Enginneering. Information and pictures on these custom rigs are hard to come by. I have contacted Manitowoc and came up empty. As their to old of machines. They were used on the Nevada test Site. Their was a Manitowoc 3950T dedicated Auger truck. A 4600 series 5 with transilift attachment in the front bright yellow in color that could pick 750 tons. Also a Manitowoc 6000 series 2 setup that way with transilift attachment on the front. A 4600 series 5 ringer and 2 4600 Series 5 truckcranes. These are really interesting unique rigs. Because the construction site was used for the Depatment Of Energy testing of Nuclear test. These unique cranes might have just got buried out their or some scrapped out. Any pictures information would be a huge help. Thanks also if your into Manitowocs, Groves, Potain, Nationals and Carry Decks and have Facebook be sure to checkout my great page called Manitowoc Crane Enthusiasts. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Manitowoccraneenthusiasts/"/> Manitowoc 4600T truckcrane
CraneInnovation
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:41:17 PM

Here is the picture of the X-Tender crane at the site.

While it looks an AWFUL lot like a 4600 S5 I have started to wonder if this really the 6000 series 2 WITHOUT the lattice gantry (using a tubular one like the 4600). The only thing that makes me doubt this theory is that the product guide for the 6000 Series 2 clearly shows that one was definitely built and put to work in a desert location. So maybe someone can clear up whether they replaced the gantry on that machine with a different one for the X-Tender attachment or if they really did make a 4600 X-Tender (show) and the 6000 X-Tender is still out there.

I have heard that when Manitowoc demonstrated the full capacity power load lowering on the 6000 the delivered to the NTS, they lowered a full chart test load onto an egg without breaking it. That's incredible on a friction crane, even a VICON.

You can still see whatever crane this is parked next to the blue 4600T on Google Earth. I wonder if the DOE will ever sell them. I sure hope these things never get scrapped. A 6000 Series 2 would look awesome in Cianbro colors Cool

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.942423,-116.045489&num=1&t=h&z=19

The picture, courtesy of Graham Newell on Flickr

I'll see if i can find some more info on exactly what Manitowoc delivered to the NTS for an X-Tender.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 4:59:41 AM

Ben,

This 4600 Truck Crane was used in Nuclear Ignition Testing during the Cold War. Going to be hard to find declassified information on this project. Here's a link to Manitowoc's older crane PDF's,not one mention of the 4600 Truck Crane.

http://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/manitowoc/Manitowoc-product-literature/archive

So after realizing that DOD,DOE & the US Government aren't going to share publicly anything classified like Ignition Testing. I thought of the Freedom of Information Act . Depending on how much you want this information,contact Dept o Energy and ask for more information regarding this project. There has to be tons of pictures of this Truck Crane. Then again it might just be Crane data...

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

ben94f150
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 8:59:07 PM

FaitAllisHD41 I had tried that before and came back with nothing due to it being a classified site.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 5:30:47 AM

ben94f150 wrote:
FaitAllisHD41 I had tried that before and came back with nothing due to it being a classified site.

I remembered this custom model,took me two days to find the link. Dare I say it's a Mitch Gomez model ?

Manitowoc 4600 truck crane.

https://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/488/64029/FullSize/199.jpg

I think Mitch Gomez is the guy to talk to. I'm pretty sure he built this model & had to have detailed pics & info to do so. If you can contact him.

On a complete side note :

This 4600 nicknamed "Big Bertha" by DOE workers has had provided me with many sleepless nights thinking of finding more information about it. So far nothing but a few paragraphs of crane info in DOE articles via Google.

Still searching as I have nothing else better to do. I'll let you know if I find anything further.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

admin
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 1:01:42 AM
Groups: Administration

Yes - you are correct. The model was made by Mitch Gomez. There was another crane made that was also used at the test site.

Both cranes were once owned by Kevin Anderson in Colorado. He has sold the red 4600 truck crane (which is currently in the trunk of my car) being delivered to a new owner in Chicago tomorrow. See my blog for a couple of photos.

Coincidence that you guys are talking about this again today!!

Chuck
BryanG
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:55:35 AM

Chuck, need to know more about/see more pics of the manitowoc ringer truck crane in the last pic on your blog posting.

Anyone know if this was an actual configuration?
ben94f150
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:09:25 PM

About your ? Bryan G with the ringer version truck mount their was in fact a few built. I know for sure Bigge had one. If your into Manitowocs, Groves, Potains, Nationals and Carry decks checkout my page on facebook. Manitowoc Crane Enthusiasts Heres the picture I have of the Bigge Manitowoc Ringer Truck mount
ben94f150
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:12:52 PM

BryanG
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:20:19 PM

thanks for posting the pic, I am a follower of your face book page, great stuff. I have some pics I will post there eventually. Would be so cool to see a production of older manitowoc models, especially the truck crane 3900 or 3950.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 1:02:30 AM

Ben ,found the Manitowoc Auger Truck .

Photos courteous of Wikimedia Commons.

-Unknown

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 1:05:17 AM

admin wrote:
Yes - you are correct. The model was made by Mitch Gomez. There was another crane made that was also used at the test site.

Both cranes were once owned by Kevin Anderson in Colorado. He has sold the red 4600 truck crane (which is currently in the trunk of my car) being delivered to a new owner in Chicago tomorrow. See my blog for a couple of photos.

Coincidence that you guys are talking about this again today!!

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. Hope the collector will share his models with us. Very neat cranes.

-Unknown

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 2:00:57 AM

Ben, here's a link to an auction of a 1964 Manitowoc 4600 . Sold by Nevada Test Site.

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI13040703

Here's a video of same crane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FH_bNCywV8

Found another auction from the same company with the 4600 stinger version.

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdscLnk?sl=91QSCI13357701

-Unknown

Randal
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 2:05:41 PM

Nice work FiatAllisHD41. More info on this elusive piece is always a treat.

Interesting -

1) Listing includes "Lampson equipment".

2) Wasn't there a post here that Lampson was the winning bid for this?

3) Either the s/n listed in the auction (460073) is incorrect or Manitowoc can't/won't list the specifications. There is a 46007 but it jumps from 460069 to 460074.

http://viewcenter.manitowoc.com/ViewCenterPublic/searchoptions.aspx?id=6

4) This is very similar to the LTL-350 - although that's based on a 4100.

And the serial number of the 3900WT is 395118. Pierce carrier 6x12. Only travel specifications are listed in the service manual
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 5:25:36 AM

Randal wrote:
Nice work FiatAllisHD41. More info on this elusive piece is always a treat.

Interesting -

1) Listing includes "Lampson equipment".

2) Wasn't there a post here that Lampson was the winning bid for this?

3) Either the s/n listed in the auction (460073) is incorrect or Manitowoc can't/won't list the specifications. There is a 46007 but it jumps from 460069 to 460074.

http://viewcenter.manitowoc.com/ViewCenterPublic/searchoptions.aspx?id=6

4) This is very similar to the LTL-350 - although that's based on a 4100.

And the serial number of the 3900WT is 395118. Pierce carrier 6x12. Only travel specifications are listed in the service manual

Yes, that is interesting it is listed as Lampson . You really have to dig deep to find these cranes. I think the info we have found so far reflects the Government and/or Manitowoc not discussing these cranes.

After all it was once classified information. We all know they don't talk about it. Rightfully so.

Found another link to a 4600 from the Nevada Test Site ,sold from Mercury,NV,shipped to Texas. Link is below.

-Unknown

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 5:26:35 AM

Here's another link to a 4600 Crawler from NTS.

http://www.uship.com/shipment/manitowoc-4600/87347031/

Link to Livermore Lab from NTS.

Manitowoc 4600 s5 ringer as of 2002 listed at Livermore Lab. Scroll down to read article.

http://www.gobookee.org/ebook/published-weekly-for-employees-of-lawrence-livermore-national-3s1n0l/

-Unknown

SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:11:01 PM

Thanks guys really appreciate the pics and story.I hope someone does a book on/for Manitowoc cranes and shovels before I'm gone.
Formu1fan
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:51:48 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Ben ,found the Manitowoc Auger Truck .

Photos courteous of Wikimedia Commons.

That's a real good looking rig! I could do some serious Soil Stabilization/Solidification with that rig!

-John
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 3:51:41 PM

NTS also had American Truck Cranes. Can anyone chime in as to what models these are ?

Photo courteous Wikimedia Commons .

-Unknown

ben94f150
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:04:38 PM

Their was also a Manitowoc 6000 Crawler Crane at the Nevada test site it was Yellow and Black in color. Was a series 2 rated at 600 tons. Had a similar attachment as the 4600 series 5 crawler crane in the picture above with the big beam attaching to a pair of crawlers in the front. That yellow 4600 series 5 could lift 750 tons. I actually found that exact crane for sale. Lampson had recently purchased it. Sitting in their Washington yard. Here's the link to more pictures on it. http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdscLnk?sl=91QSCI13357701 Does anyone else have pictures of them rare Manitowoc cranes that were at the Nevada Test Site thanks. The 4600T series 5 truckcrane was a awesome rig as well two were built for that site.