DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Manitowoc Cranes at Las Vages Navada test site Options · View
CraneInnovation
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:35:32 PM

Groups: Member

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
NTS also had American Truck Cranes. Can anyone chime in as to what models these are ?

Photo courteous Wikimedia Commons .

The Ringer in the back is a VERY old version of the 4600 Ringer. I've never seen literature on it, but I've seen a picture of that exact crane (that I can't find) that showed the base crane was an original 4600.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
eef7260
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 6:40:48 PM

Nice to see they also used an 900 series American truck crane , any more pics from that one maybe ??

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:13:35 AM

eef7260 wrote:
Nice to see they also used an 900 series American truck crane , any more pics from that one maybe ??

Eef

Hi Eef,

Nope,sorry I couldn't find anything more on this crane. Just like the others. They aren't listed by either NTS or American . Thinking of wasting my time by contacting The National Archives , Nevada Test Site, through our {Freedom of Information Act} or half a dozen others.

I hope to be able to find out more info. Stay tuned.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:15:05 AM

CraneInnovation wrote:
FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
NTS also had American Truck Cranes. Can anyone chime in as to what models these are ?

Photo courteous Wikimedia Commons .

The Ringer in the back is a VERY old version of the 4600 Ringer. I've never seen literature on it, but I've seen a picture of that exact crane (that I can't find) that showed the base crane was an original 4600.

Please post it if you happen to find it. Thank you for the info.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:18:17 AM

Manitowoc Series 5 Ringer NTS.

Photo not mine. Photographer unknown. If you'd like photo removal,just ask via PM or contact DHS Moderator.

-Unknown

DC Craneman
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:51:10 PM

The American truck crane appears to be of either the 220 or 250 ton size. The low profile carrier to my knowledge is not an early 9510 or 9520 which generally used the Hendrickson carrier and had the carrier cab over the left front wheels. In this case they are behind. When American began building the 9530 there was a similar 9460 which used the older style carrier. I don't remember without digging in the archives the model number of the low profile carrier 250 ton machine. I believe the high profile short machine was the 9480. There is only one 9490 which is an updated 9480 on a Pierce Pacific carrier and was located in Phoenix, AZ and owned by Maxim since new. The 9490 has a limited radius rating of 300 tons.

The standard booms were also shorter on one of the configurations from my research.
321DLCR
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:38:45 AM

These are really cool cranes but what is the Nevada test site and what do they do there
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:52:48 AM

321DLCR wrote:
These are really cool cranes but what is the Nevada test site and what do they do there

Nuclear Ignition Testing {to make sure our Nukes went pop when supposed to}. Project closed 1992 . All these Crane's in discussion, most custom made for this job. Very hard to find out more info on these.

-Unknown

CraneInnovation
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:26:25 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Manitowoc Series 5 Ringer NTS.

Photo not mine. Photographer unknown. If you'd like photo removal,just ask via PM or contact DHS Moderator.

This Ringer was named "Big Bertha" and was moved to Lawrence Livermore National Labs to construct the laser fusion ignition lab. It was more recently moved to Oak Ridge in TN to build a new facility there and was visible in some recent Bing and Google Earth photos working on the western end of the complex. Not sure where it is now, but probably still owned by DOE.

Also, wouldn't this be a Series 3 4600 Ringer? It is the newer style ringer, but a Series 3 crane. I thought the Series 4 and 5 4600 Ringers were only the ones with the Series 4 crawler base?

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:13:57 AM

Same photo as in other post.

-Unknown

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 6:35:47 PM

Nice pics guys that 4600T is sharp especially luv the low slung Canadian cab !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:42:46 PM

Unknown Manitowoc 4600 used at NTS. This one has sat dormant for over 20 years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CRANE+%28NSTEC%29&biw=1024&bih=434&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JeZkVeK2NcXBggTI6oC4BA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdscLnk?sl=91QSCI13357701

-Unknown

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 11:52:38 AM

Manitowoc 3950W from Nevada test site.

https://cranenetwork.com/details?id=185901&pn=cranes

-Unknown

kpmann
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 10:19:07 PM

Does anyone have photos of the crane a Lawrence Livermore Labs. I live right by there but never got to see it
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 6:08:58 PM

kpmann wrote:
Does anyone have photos of the crane a Lawrence Livermore Labs. I live right by there but never got to see it

If you look on this same page fifth post down. That is the same exact crane now at Lawrence Livermore Lab . It was moved back in the day to Livermore for their test purpose.

-Unknown

kpmann
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 9:47:35 PM

Thank you