DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LR1750 Work In Progress... Options · View
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:33:25 PM

Groups: Member

ulf wrote:
Superb work all around. The basic 1750 is still one of the best-looking crane models out there Applause

Especially the ones with proper track pads.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:36:16 PM

Great model-making skills there. I'm not really a crane man, but I can see this would look very good in my collection
Formu1fan
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:42:40 PM

JohnGalt wrote:
ulf wrote:
Superb work all around. The basic 1750 is still one of the best-looking crane models out there Applause

I don't think I've seen a 1750 post go by without you mentioning the track padsWhistle Anxious

I agree though. The first thing I noticed on the model was the track pads. It really does look excellent.

-John
Davie82
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:47:11 PM

Many thanks again guys. I got the spreaders painted and weathered, and had a bash at making some rusty wire ropes. Same string as before, painted with black acrylic, and crimped with very thin styrene. A couple of drops of CA either side of the crimp to hold the string in place, and then some brown acrylic dry-brushed on for rust effect.

Also managed to get the 1750 into the back garden for a couple of quick snaps. As you can see there are still some yellow spots on the boom and the CWs aren't finished, but I'm probably going to take a wee break from it before finishing it up.

Formu1fan
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:49:39 PM

Wow, that spreader set up looks great!

-John
ulf
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 3:00:04 PM

Formu1fan wrote:
JohnGalt wrote:
ulf wrote:

I don't think I've seen a 1750 post go by without you mentioning the track padsWhistle Anxious

One of the very first conversations I ever had on the Forum involved the 1750 (surprise!surprise!) and, yes, the track pad size eventually made its way into the discussion - though I don't recall if JohnGalt was the culprit! Teeth
JohnGalt
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 3:47:29 PM

I guess that answers my question about whether I was complaining too much about that. I'll stop now.
The LR1750 is a great-looking crane, and this customization is one of the best.
Formu1fan
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:52:02 PM

JohnGalt wrote:
I guess that answers my question about whether I was complaining too much about that. I'll stop now.
The LR1750 is a great-looking crane, and this customization is one of the best.

I'm just messing with you. I understand where you're coming from. when this model came out, there really weren't any large crawlers and to miss something so crucial was a mistake.

I agree, In my opinion, if those track pads were on the Riga Baumann model, I would have at least 2

-John
Davie82
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 3:28:52 PM

Started adding some small modifications. Found a photo of this so decided to build it - it took several hours but was an interesting process. Should get it painted tomorrow.

Davie82
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:18:32 AM

So I thought I'd start the ballast tray on Monday... and I did. I reckon I've put in somewhere around 40 hours work so far and there's still a long way to go in terms of finishing and detailing, but the structure is more or less finished. I'm expecting a delivery of 2.4mm tube tomorrow which will allow me to finish the cylinders (add internal resistance) and then I can do a load test. I have no doubt that this will suspend 30 of the weight slabs easily, but it's possible that the cylinders will creep, but I wanted as much realism as possible and that means having cylinders that are functional.

This has been without a doubt the most challenging project I've ever undertaken, and it's driven me almost to the point of insanity - I have no patience left and I'm taking a break!

Paul R
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:23:12 AM

Looking really good Davie!

Paul R
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:40:32 PM

Nice job
Have you considered using ycc cylinders? Not sure which ones would be closest to the size but they are worth the price?
Wish he made cylinders for every truck crane, a lot of them need them

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
mcm308
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 1:50:50 PM

Dont forget to add the beacon at the top for low flying aircraft. Hahaa. What an amazing job with the styrene. Ive done alot of styrene work with 1/16 scale tanks and know whats involved. What glue are you using?
ulf
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:11:46 PM

Super work on the ballast tray - an excellent addition to the 1750. I had thought of purchasing an "aftermarket" version a few years ago - a few very skilled craftsmen out there build brass duplicates - and also looked at scratchbuilding a styrene version. I have several fairly well detailed photos if you need them, but you appear to have a good handle on the project. I was a bit concerned that styrene may not be adequate for the load - especially if using the original diecast weights...
Davie82
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 5:17:07 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Brandon, yep I thought about brass cylinders but my main gripe is that they just don't look as good, especially with the grub screw in the top. I've been using chrome plated aluminum tube for my cylinders and it looks very realistic; I wouldn't use anything else.

mcm308, thanks. Back when I started building with styrene I was using Humbrol Liquid Poly, however for a short time I was using Revell Contacta. It's more viscous than the Humbrol and easier to work with but takes longer to set and is considerably more expensive. Just recently I went back to Humbrol Liquid Poly and I wondered why I ever stopped.

Ulf, thank you too. I also thought about getting a ballast tray when I last had the LR1750 however I'm really glad I didn't - even the aftermarket ones are not as faithful to the original as I'd like, which is why I thought about making my own.

As for styrene handling the load, it is remarkably strong provided it is welded together adequately. Here's the tray I made for the CC8800 not that long ago, fully loaded with 52 terex plates and suspended by four very small strips of 1mm styrene and a couple of 1.25mm steel tacks. It sat like this for several days with no ill effects. Teeth

hummer13
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 8:52:22 PM

Great work I am liking what you have done. Will be a great looking model when you are done.

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Brett G
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:21:28 PM

As everyone said awsome work. wished i had that sort of scratch building talent & painting skills.

i'd love my 1600/2 in that aussie livery

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

Davie82
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:38:03 PM

Thanks guys.

So my styrene tube arrived in the post this morning which meant I could try a load test on the floating tray. Suffice to say it didn't go as planned, with one cylinder creeping if I added only 6 plates to the tray.

So onto plan B which was to pin the cylinders at three points: short, medium, fully extended. This was pain to do because there is a piece of styrene rod running inside the aluminium tube, so my drilling had to be very accurate. The plus side is that it is very VERY strong when pinned in place.

I also added the mouldings for the counterweight blocks so that they are secure when loaded.

Here's the tray fully extended and the cylinders also fully extended:

Something I didn't mention before is the two pendant lines I had to make myself because I required a custom length. All the weight will be supported by these two parts of 1mm styrene, which is the same idea I used on the CC8800 tray.

And onto the lift test - I used a 2kg (4.4lb) weight plate at a large radius to get the tray off the ground, and called it a day when I reached 3 stacks of 9 because I'm just never going to need that much weight on it. I even had to empty the superstructure ballast.

321DLCR
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:11:23 AM

THAT LOOKS AMAZING
Fully loaded that looks awesome and your whole project is awesome
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 7:46:51 AM

This is an incredible project and I've enjoyed the ride so far. Can't wait to see it all completed.

Paul R