DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Manitowoc 16000 Barn find !! Options · View
mcm308
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 3:58:11 PM
Groups: Member

I found this 10 minutes from my house. Just got back with it. This is suppose to be the executive version with a short boom. She needs a good cleaning and I will have to re reeve everything with new line. Some small details need a fixing and it is missing the cab door. Other then that, its excellent. Some questions..
How many ballast plates came with this version? I only got 4 to make 3 on each side.
Can I buy extra boom sections, pendant lines and extras anywhere? ? I know its not made anymore and parts might be difficult unless some of you fellas can help me out. Thanks.
Barkerjoh
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 4:54:01 PM

I like the 16000. Got a full version
plumber
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 5:01:48 PM

So do I. One of my favorite models. One of my favorite cranes in general. What a great find! Looks like a good "project". I can't remember the number of weights off the top of my head. But you might be able to hand make some. Glad she found a good home.

Shawn
mcm308
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 5:45:06 PM

Yes, Happy I got it and she definitely needs some TLC. I was just doing some googling and coming up empty on parts so any help with parts would be appreciated! Mainly need boom sections with pendants and ballast plates. I could scratch build the weights if need be.

And it did come with the box, book, never installed ladders , extra track links and roll of caution tape..haha
stegro84
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:53:06 PM

I think the executive version was meant to have 12 removable counter weights just the same as the full sized versions.
But great find though!

Stephen.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:04:08 PM

What do you mean you 'just found it'?!!!!! I look in the verges and in the ditches around here, and the best I've found is a lego figure and an old hard-hat.
mcm308
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:56:05 PM

I found an advertisement that says the exec version only comes with 4 plates so thats good atleast. I will need more though as I want to make the boom longer.

As far as finding it... I got lucky I guess. ..hahaha
AZ2RAIL
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 9:36:27 PM

I found boom extensions and counter weights show up on Ebay from time to time. Just make sure the pendant lines come with it.
mcm308
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:53:04 PM

Restoration has begun! I got it all broken down, the no good rope pulled off and everything cleaned real good. It was pretty dirty! It had these tiny broken parts on the A frame so I removed them to look like nothing is broke. Not sure what exactly they were but I'm sure on a real crane they are attached with pins and might be removed when the crane is erect and ready to lift. I will need to figure out and reeve the A frame and get that ready. Whats This Musky masterline that I read about? I think a fishing braid, If so can anyone tell what pound test to get? I have an extra full spool of line on my LTM11200 so I might just strip that and use that for now. Looks like TWH sold a kit that has 4 40' boom sections, pendants and 8 ballast plates. I THINK I found one, we will see. Shhh Other then that, I think I am going to rebuild the boom top into a heavy lift type. I'm not big on that little angled extension with only 3 sheaves. It doesn't do the crane any justice!

KGV123
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:04:07 PM

That will help u. (press on the image, then press again to zoom when page is opened)

My collection: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/umf2009/
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:31:23 PM

Those broken parts, had a wire that run to each connection. It is suppose to be the self assembly cables, they attach them to the boom but or lift tracks

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
plumber
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:35:58 PM

Looks good. Nice cleaning job! I agree with the boom tip. I can see the windmill tip on the full version, but kinda weird on the shorty. I've never seen a windmill that short. I realize it's just for executive show..but still. Anyway..looks nice. Keep the updates comin.
mcm308
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:53:24 PM

First thing I had to do was come up with a simple mechanical brake for the rear drum. After all, it is what holds the boom up!! What was TWH thinking?? I wonder how many peoples booms collapsed !Silenced Drilled a small hole in the drum and bent up a simple brass link to lock it using a hole already on the structure. Then I got it reeved. This was much easier then the LR1600 and I got this done in maybe 30 minutes with the correct single line deal. Now I can install the boom and continue on..

cranedude07
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:51:34 PM

Another thing you could do to the drum to "lock" it is use rubber washers, cut one side so you can slide it over the axle. Should work great, that is how ycc does it on the lg1550. Well a rubber o ring

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
mcm308
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:04:08 PM

And I just got word that my "extra" parts shipped... sweet! Now she'll be a good height! I suppose now I can figure out what Im gonna do with the boom tip...
CraneInnovation
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:08:59 AM

How did you reeve the live mast? I have the full version and I found that mine had two separate lines run from each drum. Unless they spooled up exactly the same....one side would go slack. On the real one, like all equalizers run from a twin drum, its the same line that goes from one drum, through the sheaves, onto the other drum.

I was able to reeve mine to do that but I think I had to skip a sheave at one point. The knot isn't very noticeable and, because its in the center, it stays in the same spot and only moves when one drum gets ahead of the other if the thread stacks up more.

But at least I can run the live mast all the way up and down without one side going slack!

Nice find....and nice job cleaning it up!

EDIT: If you replace the cable, you won't have a knot in the middle. I didn't have any appropriate string on hand and I was impatient. Smile

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:47:46 AM

The musky master line is a braided fishline. It is used in two different weights, 18 pound test line is generally used on cranes smaller than 200-300 ton cranes. The other is the 27 pound test line that is used on cranes over the 200-300 ton size. The Manitowoc 16000 would use the 27 pound test line.

Hope this helps and that is one awesome find!!!!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
mcm308
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:25:05 AM

CraneInnovation wrote:
How did you reeve the live mast? I have the full version and I found that mine had two separate lines run from each drum. Unless they spooled up exactly the same....one side would go slack. On the real one, like all equalizers run from a twin drum, its the same line that goes from one drum, through the sheaves, onto the other drum.

I was able to reeve mine to do that but I think I had to skip a sheave at one point. The knot isn't very noticeable and, because its in the center, it stays in the same spot and only moves when one drum gets ahead of the other if the thread stacks up more.

But at least I can run the live mast all the way up and down without one side going slack!

Nice find....and nice job cleaning it up!

EDIT: If you replace the cable, you won't have a knot in the middle. I didn't have any appropriate string on hand and I was impatient. Smile

I pulled the line off the luffing drum on my LTM11200 and used that. I ran single line drum to drum, the way it should be. It works flawless.
mcm308
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:26:59 AM

dain555 wrote:
The musky master line is a braided fishline. It is used in two different weights, 18 pound test line is generally used on cranes smaller than 200-300 ton cranes. The other is the 27 pound test line that is used on cranes over the 200-300 ton size. The Manitowoc 16000 would use the 27 pound test line.

Hope this helps and that is one awesome find!!!!!!

Thanks! I need to order a spool of 27#.
SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:57:15 PM

Some of the boom sections had lose ends where the eyes are,had to glue them on my 16000. Actually 1 of 4 (were the eyes are)were tight so I had to pull slightly and get glue in the tube of the boom. My 2cts. Yeah haven't found much in the barn just snake skins and straw.Smile