DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: CAT 621K & 627K Scraper Models by Tonkin Replicas Options · View
Korey
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:12:01 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

I know this has been posted before, but I thought I'd give it its own thread.

Tonkin Replicas Announce Two New CAT Scraper Models.

CAT 627K

The 627K is equipped with two engines, planetary wheels and the push-and-pull attachments so you can combine two models just like the real thing.

CAT 621K

The 621 is equipped with a front end bumper and packed with detail.

The two models will be available in October of this year at $124.95 ea.

You can pre-order your models here:

CAT 627K Wheeled Scraper

CAT 621K Wheeled Scraper

Here is the official press release:
Formu1fan
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:17:38 PM

Groups: Member

Those look really good. It's going to be hard to talk me out of getting one of these...and a trailer combo to haul it...

-John
Korey
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:53:59 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Also, the scrapers will be shown for the first time at the DHS Open House on July 27th.

--Korey

Cat22Fan
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:10:44 AM

Great looking scrapers, but can someone explain why we have yet to receive the D6R that was suppose to be available back at the end of December 2013? Also what about the work tools that Tonkin is suppose to be working on for the 950K, 966K, and the 972K series loaders, have not heard a mention about those for awhile.
MartinW
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 5:51:55 AM

They do look nice but to be honest I'm not impressed with Tonkin.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
Rocky100370
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:36:23 AM

I agree Martin!
Antho
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:44:41 AM

How about you guys quit bitchin' and just wait for them? It happens. Also keep in mind it's just damn models. Toys, as many call.

If they show up on time, great, if not, they'll show up later, that is all.
Cat22Fan
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:11:39 AM

Antho, I am not bitchin', I am just wondering how come they keep showing that the D6r is coming or going to be available and everywhere you look they say future release and no one can give you an answer when asked when it could be available. As far as for the work tools, have you heard them mentioned lately. Every time I talk to someone from Tonkin Replicas on facebook, they tell me the same story, they are coming, sometime in the future. Kind of gets old after awhile. I am a big supporter of Tonkin Cat models. Hell I have a 988K, 966K, 972K, and 2 950k's plus have the D6r and the Cat340DL on order. I would just like to know if they could actually narrow the release days down.
Airwolf
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:32:39 AM

Antho wrote:
How about you guys quit bitchin' and just wait for them? It happens. Also keep in mind it's just damn models. Toys, as many call.

If they show up on time, great, if not, they'll show up later, that is all.

WHY DONT YOU TAKE A CHILL PILL

tonkin is not all that good.

I have the (988, 972, 950 and 1 more I cant remember) 9 series machines they have out, wheels fall off missing antenna, they wont fix them or offer replacement parts

over priced for the quality
MartinW
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:14:39 AM

I'm not bitching either.

I have 4 was 5 of Tonkin's models. The 966 & 972 are a couple of nice models. The 988 is better now I have modified the axles but the 775G was probably the worst model I have ever bought (I did post about it on here) All sorts wrong with it and I think it was put together by Stevie Wonder.

Tonkin are all over the Facebook page if you are blowing smoke up their asses but disappear off the face of the planet if you have a complaint. I posted photos and a video on their page about my 755G and despite other members asking them to comment there was radio silence.

It no longer bothers me what was announced and not yet come to light because I doubt I will buy any more of their models, mainly due to their poor attitude to customer relations.

They may be models but you pay good money for them and by paying for them they need to be right and coming to the customers in a pristine condition and not lacking in quality control issues.

Brett G
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:22:38 AM

what size are these K's equivalent to in the G's ?

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:45:17 AM

http://www.cat.com/en_GB/products/new/equipment/wheel-tractor-scrapers/open-bowl-scrapers.html

Lets hope they don't have any boo boo's with these,you just can't have enough scrappers in my eyes

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

admin
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:40:26 PM
Groups: Administration

Hey Martin,

Just so you know Tonkin watched very carefully when the 775 came out to see if there were any real problems or if your problem was unique. We shipped literally hundreds of the trucks and only had three reported problems. I hope your Tonkin dealer was able to refund or replace your model.

With any model there will be issues. Hopefully only a few. Sometimes the guy who gets the "lemon" is the loudest one no offense.

We have found that tonkin models are very nice and a good value. Some people may disagree and that is ok. But it may be a little unfair to let one bad experience color your attitude about the whole line.

Just my humble opinion.

Chuck.
Barkerjoh
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:52:01 PM

Not to go off the scraper topic but chuck any word on when the. Material handlers will be available.
MartinW
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:04:39 PM

Chuck,

My dealer did refund and I decided not to buy another because many more models I had seen had their issues.

It's Tonkin's attitude that's colored my attitude for them. As I said, praise them on Facebook and you get instant replies. Bring issues to the table and nothing. I do believe that Tonkin blocked some Facebook users from their page for criticizing their models.

I did get a lemon and I did shout about it. You would if you paid the UK prices for them.

admin
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:12:48 PM
Groups: Administration

Hi Jon. Material handlers should be here in a few weeks. Hope to have some at Open House.

Martin I certainly understand. Luc from Tonkin will be at our show next weekend. We will address this.

Thanks!
tomcat1191
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:15:44 PM

Martin,

I totally agree. I had bought the 2750 and it was a huge pile of crap. The dealer I dealt with took it back and I will not buy from Tonkin. I had emailed them when I bought it and I still haven't heard from them. That was two months ago. There customer service is terrible just like there models.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:34:03 PM

MartinW wrote:
Chuck,

................, praise them on Facebook and you get instant replies. Bring issues to the table and nothing. I do believe that Tonkin blocked some Facebook users from their page for criticizing their models...........

That kinda carry on never ends well,for both manufacturer and retailer,

Look at all the juicy free feedback be it good or bad they have available,to help correct issues or to continue on a path of excellence,look at how well Cranesetc' reviews have been welcomed as you can now get the info on a model before spending your HARD HARD HARD earned cash, and if I'm gonna earn my cash the hard way Tonkin and anyone else will have to earn my cash the hard way also,

Conrad and NZG to name a few seem to have a much lower fail rate,I dont have figures but they shouldn't be needed here,

Get it right Tonkin and make bundles of cash,get it wrong and lose out big time,this happened to a certain other manufacturer of which some employees have been signed up by Tonkin,

Anyway,Scrapers scrapers scrapers scrapers scrapers scrapers!!!!!Teeth Teeth Teeth Teeth but I will hold off to see a review before I splurge

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Weserhutte
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:48:40 PM

admin wrote:
We shipped literally hundreds of the trucks and only had three reported problems.

While we don't know what decimal goes in front of the "00"; I think it's important to keep in mind that since you are the national distributor, all the other US dealers get their models from you! No? Therefore, how many of these "hundreds" are currently warehoused and not in the hands of the collector yet?

Some forum members may not be familiar with this quote “We are sure that Chuck Sword and his team will do a great job meeting our customer service standards,” said Luc Lebel, regional sales director for Tonkin, in the release. “DHS will distribute the Tonkin Replicas products throughout the USA to hobby retailers.” from Model Retailer Magazine.

As for the scraper models; from the photos in the press release there is missing detail at the articulation point, and the tires look like a "swing and a miss" as on the 775G.
Gavin84w
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:03:18 PM

Weserhutte wrote:
and the tires look like a "swing and a miss" as on the 775G.

If you can tell those tyres are not right on the 620K from the 2 pics we have all seen then your a better man than me. What is not right with them?

I suspect a lot of people making these calls (and I will say on the tyres here in both the scrapers and 775G,s case) don,t actually ever have anything to do with the real deal. The 775G tyres are quite accurate to the Michelin X Quarry tyre it portrays, sure some detail is lost bringing it down to 1/50 but you can,t expect it to be a 100% accurate replication when shrunk and at the price point overall Tonkin are aiming to get to.

Perhaps the answer why they look hit and miss is because they have no air in them.....................