DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Manitowoc Vs. Sany? Options · View
CAT420
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:58:41 AM

Groups: Member

"/>

Kind of interesting sorry if the pic is too small just click on it I believe to make it bigger

Nick
CAT420
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:11:10 AM

Brett G
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:49:28 AM

i been sort of expecting this with the sany asian copys. but i like them
be nice see them produce the 3600 ton superlift in 1:50

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

Victor Pay
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:43:14 AM

CAT420 wrote:

Similar???? I kind of think so

I see a ton of differences between the cranes in those two pictures.
Start with the A-frame.
JoeE
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:22:42 AM

I'm sure it's not meaning the cranes look alike.

Probably components or sub assemblies were copied.

As is par for the course with China.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:37:49 AM

Victor Pay wrote:
CAT420 wrote:

Similar???? I kind of think so

I see a ton of differences between the cranes in those two pictures.
Start with the A-frame.

I agree Victor. That's what you get for not reading things properly because the law suit is over patent infringement of Manitowocs VPC system. Nothing to do with those pictures whatsoever!

Paul R
M.H.W. Smits
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:47:43 AM

I believe it has to do with the variable counterweight system Sany uses, which is said to infringe Manitowocs VPC patents. I guess it is about this Sany crane:

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:55:33 AM

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin Sany summed up.

Hope Manitowoc wins the Lawsuit. It's a shame companies can change the design ever so slightly and get away with it. Then again manufacturers including the US are guilty of this same practice .

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

craneman
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:10:28 PM

This is not just a case of the Chinese copying things, they hired the invetor (John Lanning) of the VPC right from Manitowoc. I had a chance to speak with him at Con-Expo, didnt exactly bring up the lawsuit issue as I didnt think it would be appropriate, but we talked about the design and attrubutes of the Sany crane and IMO are better than what he did with the MLC. For instance, it is a much simpler system as it uses hydraulic rams instead of toothed gear motors (Rack & Pinion) a split tray that piggybacks onto the base tray to create the Ultra-Lift that is easier maintained, however the one advantage (if it is an advantage) the MLC has over the SC8500 is that the VPC MAX can return to original CoG loacation of the VPC without MAX and the SC8500 cannot. Although, Mr. Lanning pointed out that when you have a VPC MAX configuration on the SC8500 (Ultra Lift), it didnt need to return to the center of the crane to be effective. It is this fact (buying/copying/stealing) intelectual property rights is what Manitowoc is fighting as they want to own the market with this technology. We all point at the Chinese for copying and producing cheap inferior products, but in this case if you want to compete in the Global market as Sany does, especially with cranes, you cannot just simply produce a "cheap knock off" and I dont think they did that here. If it is proven Sany used underhanded/unlawful tactics against Manitowoc, then I agree that Manitowoc has a case here. However, without people "changing a few things ever so slightly" here and there we would not have progress (or eveolution if you will) and advanced/improved designs. You would be quite surprised at how many similarities there are amongst "ALL" crane manufactures.
Victor Pay
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:58:19 PM

Paul R wrote:
[
That's what you get for not reading things properly

OK sorry Smiley
You're completely right, I didn't read it.
CraneInnovation
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:21:01 PM

craneman wrote:
This is not just a case of the Chinese copying things, they hired the invetor (John Lanning) of the VPC right from Manitowoc. I had a chance to speak with him at Con-Expo, didnt exactly bring up the lawsuit issue as I didnt think it would be appropriate, but we talked about the design and attrubutes of the Sany crane and IMO are better than what he did with the MLC. For instance, it is a much simpler system as it uses hydraulic rams instead of toothed gear motors (Rack & Pinion) a split tray that piggybacks onto the base tray to create the Ultra-Lift that is easier maintained, however the one advantage (if it is an advantage) the MLC has over the SC8500 is that the VPC MAX can return to original CoG loacation of the VPC without MAX and the SC8500 cannot. Although, Mr. Lanning pointed out that when you have a VPC MAX configuration on the SC8500 (Ultra Lift), it didnt need to return to the center of the crane to be effective. It is this fact (buying/copying/stealing) intelectual property rights is what Manitowoc is fighting as they want to own the market with this technology. We all point at the Chinese for copying and producing cheap inferior products, but in this case if you want to compete in the Global market as Sany does, especially with cranes, you cannot just simply produce a "cheap knock off" and I dont think they did that here. If it is proven Sany used underhanded/unlawful tactics against Manitowoc, then I agree that Manitowoc has a case here. However, without people "changing a few things ever so slightly" here and there we would not have progress (or eveolution if you will) and advanced/improved designs. You would be quite surprised at how many similarities there are amongst "ALL" crane manufactures.

Wish I could have been there for that conversation!

I've read the Manitowoc patents, and they clearly have the rights to any moveable counterweight system that is powered by "an actuator". That would include a hydraulic ram.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the reason Manitowoc went with a gear-motor is because they learned on the 31000 that the constant micro-adjustments the computer is performing on the ram were causing susbtatial heat build-up issues in the hydraulics. A motor isn't susceptible to that, and, if you think about it, really isn't any more or less complicated. Both are very basic linear motion devices. You could do it either way....but my guess is that the motor/pinion system is also cheaper.

What we really need is for someone to figure out a passive load-moment dynamic counterweight system....i.e. one that worked with mechanical inputs from the boom/hoists/live mas and could move the counterweight with no powered actuators (like a balance scale). That's really the ultimate destination for this technology and Manitowoc's patent wouldn't touch it (they explicitly claim the use of an actuator in the counterweight motion).

But I agree with your last line.....crane technology is really stale. The machines all look the same, have roughly the same capacity, and are largely interchangeable. Sure, one is more fuel efficient than the other, one is a bit easier to put together than the other, one has a better warranty than the other...... But aside from this basic implementation of a moveable counterweight, has anyone REALLY done anything interesting with (lattice boom crawler) cranes since the 90's?

Other than the super-cranes of course!

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
craneman
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:30:28 PM

Understood that the complexity of either or is a moot point, however the hydraulic ram system of the 31000 VPC is an entirely different system and is not simply linear as in the case of the MLC or SC8500, and caries a considerably larger mass of CW. Its movement is in an arc rather than straight in and out, in which case I can see an overheating issue. Up here in Northern Alberta, in the cold winter months we would have issues with both set-ups, but IMO the MLC rack and pinion would be better suited to cold environments, you dont see many M777's up here because of the cold effects on the ram set up.

With regards to a passive set-up are you referring to the direct mechanical connetction between the main boom and CW on some luffing jib tower crane's, as the boom is lowered, the CW extends?

Your thoughts on how the R&P is a cheaper set up?

The main advances in cranes has been capacity and easy of operation/safety, not a big fan of some aspects of the latter, as trying to idiot proof a crane IMO with sophisticated computers has been a factor in more accidents than before it was introduced. Dont get me wrong, they have their place and have greatly benefited the crane industry but the intent is to try and prevent an operator from getting in trouble in the 1st place, however there are some cases that get an operator in trouble that a computer cannot detect and its those instances that have a negative impact on how a crane is operated.

I think that either the MCL VPC or SC Ultra Lift is a step in the right direction to reduce overturns and boom collapses as it is always "trying" to equalize the CoG.

Thank you for your comments, it helps to bring understanding and different perspectives on advances in the crane industry. If you're a "fan" of a certain brand, that bias can cloud your judgment on what is good for the crane world.

craneman.

Newcrane
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 3:47:22 PM

CraneInnovation wrote:
[quote=craneman]

What we really need is for someone to figure out a passive load-moment dynamic counterweight system....i.e. one that worked with mechanical inputs from the boom/hoists/live mas and could move the counterweight with no powered actuators (like a balance scale). That's really the ultimate destination for this technology and Manitowoc's patent wouldn't touch it (they explicitly claim the use of an actuator in the counterweight motion).

I may be wrong, but didn't Sennebogen just introduce something like that with their EQ line?
CraneInnovation
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:03:22 PM

Newcrane:

That's really neat! Although, despite the two degrees of freedom, that is still a geometry-only solution that doesn't take into account the load in the grapple. I'm wondering if there's a way to marry a geometric system with a load-sensing system using only mechanical means....no sensors or actuators.

craneman:

I suppose I assumed that the motors in question were electric motors. If they are hydraulic motors, I suppose its probably a wash. I would venture to say that an electric system would be cheaper than hydraulics by a good margin. But I might be wrong!

That's interesting about 777's in extreme cold. I always thought that system was a very interesting take and seemed to work well. I wonder why they never used it again?

I agree on the focus on capacity (although.....until VPC, no really interesting gains were made here) and ease of operation/safety. What does get me though is that in 90% of applications, a 4100W works just as well as a 14000. I think it is telling that the crane industry is one of the few left where customers can use 40 year old machines essentially the same as brand new ones. To me, that says that we really haven't made meaningful gains in technology. Easier operation and marginally easier setup is a bit of a thin record for several decades of work. Just my opinion!

I'd like to see a crane manufacturer REALLY get outside the box and build some truly new equipment.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
craneman
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 6:31:15 PM

If you look at the picture of the Terex LB/TC in the 1st post you can see that the base of the luffing boom is attached to a mechanisim that is directly related to the position of the CW and as it booms down, the CW changes position to compensate for CoG and improves capacity, stability and longer boom ranges.
CraneInnovation
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:25:08 PM

I've seen that feature....but it only relates to the boom angle. I am wondering if a system could also take load into account. I.e...you are at a fairly high boom angle and lifting a capacity load. How would you push the counterweight out in a mechanical way to account for the high load moment but high boom angle, that would keep the counterweight close.

-Pierre S. Dupont
craneman
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:39:58 PM

CraneInovation:

I think the Versacrane, http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?19275-Versa-9600-in-Dallas is a good starting point to what you are describing, although it does not have a dynamic CW system, you can see the potential, given the peramiters you spec'd out earlier.
CraneInnovation
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:53:10 PM

Thanks for the link, I've never seen the Versa-crane concept in action before!

Yeah, I'm still trying to hash out in my mind how it would work.....

-Pierre S. Dupont
DC Craneman
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 9:12:57 PM

There were several earlier pieces published in either "American Crane and Transport" or "Cranes Today." Likewise, there was an earlier suit Manitowoc vs. Lanning in which Manitowoc also prevailed. I reference these same publications as sources.

The substance of the actions were that Mr. Lanning was employed by Manitowoc as an engineer and in that role was the liaison between Manitowoc and its patent legal counsel. While employed by Manitowoc, Mr. Lanning was bound by employment agreements including non disclosure provisions as well as non-complete provisions after his employment. One of the pieces of intellectual property was the variable position counter weight. It was alleged that Mr. Lanning after being advised of what he was bound to by written agreement and acknowledging such at the time of his departure for Manitowoc entered the employment of Sany within 120 days of leaving and apparently recruited or attempted to recruit other Manitowoc engineering personnel.

The only items that I have not seen publicly disclosed is what damages if any were awarded Manitowoc in the earlier matter of Manitowoc vs. Lanning and if Sany under any agreements had indemnified Mr. Lanning regarding those damages, legal costs and possible lost benefits.

The final ruling in the matter referenced above should include the penalties or sanctions granted Manitowoc. My memory is that Manitowoc's request included precluding Sany's import or manufacture of machines utilizing the contested technology and the possible destruction of existing machines utilizing the technology.

Over the years several manufacturers have used patents to protect their intellectual property. The Manitowoc ringer is one and that is why American developed the Guy attachment and the Sky horse trailing counterweight for use until the patent ran out and the Ring Horse was introduced. Likewise there were some battles between tower attachments and outrigger designs between P&H and Lorain. P&H ultimate discontinued their tower production and Lorain ceased using the angled and extending out rigger bean and reverted to an out and down design. Link Belt likewise for many years had the quick disconnect ring and house jacks for their larger truck cranes protected. High strength tubular boom was another item that for a period was patented (possibly American). There were also battles between Demag and Liebherr over luffing boom designs.
Weserhutte
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:21:03 PM

I think this is the third time this issue has become a popular topic on this forum, and I find it fascinating every time.

Extendable and retractable counterweights are simply nothing new and have been used in various forms for decades in horizontal, vertical, and arcing configurations long before this Mani/Sany thing even started. It's just this sad litigious society we live in now that makes it such a sensation.