DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Tonkin Cat 4400 dump truck Options · View
Mark Bridle
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:42:14 PM

Groups: Member

Has anybody seen the new Tonkin Cat 4400 dump truck? If so what is like, and have Tonkin resolved the quality control problems that have plagued previous models?
regards
Mark Bridle
MartinW
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:45:47 PM

Mark Bridle wrote:
Has anybody seen the new Tonkin Cat 4400 dump truck? Mark Bridle

Yeah, it's a nice looking model.

Mark Bridle wrote:
have Tonkin resolved the quality control problems that have plagued previous models?Mark Bridle

People have had their problems with them, I know of a few lift cylinders that have split so now the majority of owners wont risk lifting the dump body.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
digggerr
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:42:59 PM

The topic of this model came up not long ago and interestingly few folks seemed to want to talk about it, and nobody posted any photos. It was noted though that the very poor range of movement of the dump bed had not been corrected in the Bymo to Tonkin transition.

I also find it strange that one of the forum's professional reviewers has had one for a while but declines to comment on it here or review it on his own site?

ac170
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:02:22 PM

Here's what I shared with another forum member and since no one else is saying much I'll share it. Just don't shoot the messenger!

I've got the MT4400 so I'll give you a little review. It's a nice big heavy model with a good bit of plastic mixed in. The electrical cabinets and such up top, the exhaust system, fuel and hydraulic tank, front wheels, bed lift cylinders, and misc. parts underneath are all plastic but are painted and actually look like metal until you touch them. The railings are a nice thin metal and the front grill is a very fine metal (at least I think it's metal) mesh that's actually quite impressive. The front stairs on mine are a little loose and won't stay up on their own. The tires are ok and the front wheels should steer but mine are so tight they won't without more force than I'm willing to use so they stay straight for now. The bed looks good down but won't dump more than maybe 20 deg. at most which is very disappointing to say the least but after seeing the split plastic cylinders on Facebook I guess a bed down display will have to do for now. There is modeled but non functioning suspension which is a little surprising given the size of the model. The bed has a pair of very fine chains hanging down between the dual wheels to simulate rock extractors I guess but it would be like using swing set chain on the real machine!

All in all I'd say I think it's a nice looking model- Not quite as well built or designed as the Norscot 795F, which I'll admit isn't setting the bar very high. It's definitely not worth $20 more than the Norscot. Would I buy it again... probably not for $250..... but it depends on the day!

Jeff M
Paul
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:33:29 AM

Jeff, thanks for your "mini-review" - that's what the forum is all about!.

When I saw this model announced I thought "Yes, I think I'll have one of them".

Now I'm not so sure. I might get one some day but I must confess to being a little disappointed with the issues mentioned(splitting cylinders??).

I also agree that the price tag is too high especially in light of the issues and the fact that you get a far superior model for not an awful lot more in the Conrad T264.

And, on top of all this the Nuremberg Toy Fair is just around the corner and I would love to see a Conrad T284.

Smile

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Cranes Etc
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:02:54 PM

digggerr wrote:

I also find it strange that one of the forum's professional reviewers has had one for a while but declines to comment on it here or review it on his own site?

Well, it is not strange from my point of view! It takes a lot of work to do the reviews the way I do them, and the 4400 is in the queue. I usually don't comment in advance of a review because as in this case I got it out of the box as a supporting actor for another model, and have not looked at it in any detail since. I suppose also that for me my review is my comment. The 4400 is coming fairly soon though....

Ian

http://www.CranesEtc.co.uk
http://www.Twitter.com/CranesEtc
http://www.YouTube.com/CranesEtcTV
Cranes Etc on Facebook
MartinW
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:04:47 PM

Thought that may have been the case Ian, Look forward to the review.

Mark Bridle
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:53:41 PM

So am I right in thinking that this model has been previously made by different manufacturer's as a Terex model and a Bucyrus model (in the aluminium case)? So did these previous models only tip 20 degrees and split lift cylinders? Or is this another sign of a Tonkin cock up and lack of quality? Is there a potential fix for the cylinders splitting , such as lubrication of the piston rod?

regards

Mark Bridle

AJG
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:49:08 PM

Look fwd. to your review of the 4400 Ian !!!
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:17:11 PM

Not to sound like a smartass but has Tonkin released one model so far that people are excited about once released as they were at announcement? Seems like it has been let down after let down.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
DIGGNRIGGS
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:48:06 AM

What about this one size,, I got a MT4400 CAT with no decals at all,, brand new in box, an email was sent to tonkin and Tonkin said they would never ship it that way that someone took them off.. I will post pictures,, basically saying it was no fault of Tonkin,, I asked for decals to fix there issue and was told no,,

Insanity40
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 1:59:51 AM

I think that maybe some people are overthinking this whole Tonkin thing! I think it's glaringly obvious that Tonkin is no CCM or even NZG or Conrad in terms of quality, but I don't recall them ever claiming to be. I think everyone can remember in the not too distant past when Conrad and NZG didn't exhibit a helluva lot of bang for one's buck! As for comparing the 4400 to the 795 by Norscot, I just recently took delivery of a 795 and all the PLASTIC rivets holding the steering assembly were sitting on the bottom of the box, both wheels were pointing different directions, and the fold down ladder on the front was about to fall off! But guess what? All it took was a little patience and its sitting there good as new, and I for one am happy that there are still model producers out there that make such a large variety of models that pretty much anyone can get into the hobby in some capacity. Also, it's pretty cool that CAT is by far the #1 choice. worldwide, of heavy equipment, and it's even cooler that they allow so many models, in so many price ranges, to be produced. So, with all that said, if you want top shelf quality and realism, spend that extra money, buy that Brand Name stamped into the bottom of the thing, better yet go out and collect the real thing and see how many fit on your shelf, but I for one am little tired of listening to everyone jump on the bandwagon to kick the crap out of Tonkin and Norscot! If you think they're such junk, don't buy the damn things, but for alot of people out there, myself included, and I have a bunch of both, they are a pretty nice addition to their collection, and let's try to remember that, at the end of the day, they ARE just TOYS!!!
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:10:09 AM

Insanity40 wrote:
I think that maybe some people are overthinking this whole Tonkin thing! I think it's glaringly obvious that Tonkin is no CCM or even NZG or Conrad in terms of quality, but I don't recall them ever claiming to be. I think everyone can remember in the not too distant past when Conrad and NZG didn't exhibit a helluva lot of bang for one's buck! As for comparing the 4400 to the 795 by Norscot, I just recently took delivery of a 795 and all the PLASTIC rivets holding the steering assembly were sitting on the bottom of the box, both wheels were pointing different directions, and the fold down ladder on the front was about to fall off! But guess what? All it took was a little patience and its sitting there good as new, and I for one am happy that there are still model producers out there that make such a large variety of models that pretty much anyone can get into the hobby in some capacity. Also, it's pretty cool that CAT is by far the #1 choice. worldwide, of heavy equipment, and it's even cooler that they allow so many models, in so many price ranges, to be produced. So, with all that said, if you want top shelf quality and realism, spend that extra money, buy that Brand Name stamped into the bottom of the thing, better yet go out and collect the real thing and see how many fit on your shelf, but I for one am little tired of listening to everyone jump on the bandwagon to kick the crap out of Tonkin and Norscot! If you think they're such junk, don't buy the damn things, but for alot of people out there, myself included, and I have a bunch of both, they are a pretty nice addition to their collection, and let's try to remember that, at the end of the day, they ARE just TOYS!!!

From their site:

TONKIN REPLICAS INC.

Tonkin Replicas produces the world's finest die-cast models. We are the leading manufacturer of Class 7 and 8 die-cast trucks in a variety of scales, including our 1:87 Economy Scale, 1:64 Collector Scale, and our 1:53 Detail Scale highlighted by the popular Precision Series. We also produce aircraft that along with trucks we stock in the USA and are available for fast delivery. More information on Tonkin Replicas can be found online at www.tonkinreplicas.com.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:29:19 AM

There's a market for everything and all ranges of models, from the toyish Siku to CCM and NZG, and most likely they are priced accordingly.

As a modelist, I find good opportunities in each models brands, may it be only for parts from one model that I need for a project, and they all deserve to be in business.

But part of the interest of being on this forum is to be able to get reviews and appreciation of these models, and being aware of their manufacturer's market approach (or decision to offer quality oriented products versus affordable but cheaper and high plastic content models, and in large scale or limited edition). Don't rely on marketing or advertisements to get the truth. The example outlined by Fabricator is an excellent case.

We need to share that information, but yeah, we should still remain neutral and objective and avoid bashing on what we are displeased with. I really like Ian's work on Cranes etc. But we also need supplemental information from our different perspectives. Mine being from a modelist point of view, I like to know it a model has a high level of die cast metal or not, or if it requires additional modifications to add real life functionnality (like shortening a cylinder shaft for deeper reach on an excavator's boom) for example.

Just my humble opinion, though. Think

Stephane

Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:33:38 AM

No decals and then you get a "no" when ask them for help? jeez,

Just asking did this truck have the same issues when it was made by Brami/Bymo and if so where was the hullaballoo?

I had a number of these models ear marked for purchasing but I can confidently say my money will be going elsewhere,

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

admin
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:50:58 AM
Groups: Administration

Hello all,

Interesting thread - I hope it keeps going and others give their opinions too. Here are a couple of mine...

- EastCoast posted the advertisement from Tonkin's website - which is just that, an "advertisement". Every company believes they are absolutely the best there is and most, including Tonkin, try very hard to be the very best that they can. Every manufacturing company has mistakes/errors which get out. I believe you have to look at the whole picture, not just one aspect of the run or one part of the total model build.

- I am not playing favorites here. Norscot makes a very nice model, as does Tonkin, Conrad, NZG, etc. They all have faults and they all have amazing levels of detail. The technology has advanced to an remarkable level over the years and we now expect more from these companies each time they produce a model. From talking to their engineers over the years, these guys (and girls) feel the pressure and are pushing to get better each time they produce a new model.

- Keep in mind that there are budget constraints. Models have to also hit a certain price point, which is very difficult in today's economy. If a model comes out a bit more expensive, people complain. If a model has a little more plastic than metal, people complain. These decisions are based on engineering concepts as well as budget constraints. If these companies produced a "perfect" model, nobody would be able to afford it.

So in summary, I would like to see these threads hit more on the "what is good and what is bad" about each model based on the poster's opinions rather than just offering up complaints about certain quality issues and/or build issues. Each and every model has its good points and bad points. Unfortunately, in our world, people typically write about things if they are unhappy about them.

This forum is a great way to provide feedback to the manufactures and tell others about the pros and cons of each model. But let's not get too distracted by the odd situations.

Thanks.

Chuck
Foofighter
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:27:35 AM

This is quite informative I have to admit. Without going on the merits of a particular model or model brand, I do want to highlight some experience I had customer service with two manufacturers.

I had issues with a Conrad model, and they dispatched a load of parts and extras for free and I received it in a few days. Amazing. This is not just a one off. I had some other issues, self inflicted and approached them again for parts, quite a few in fact. And they sent me everything I asked for and a bit on the side. I did pay for it as I offered it and cannot expect it for free. But they sent it without asking for payment before delivery. Again, amazing customer service. Based on this, I have no qualm buying a Conrad model at all, as I know my investment is sound even if there are issues with them out of the box...or sometimes not.

Then I approached NZG, for the same issue that Ian had on his R9400. A missing windscreen wiper. I just got a response stating that we don't have spare parts to provide you. Now for a new model and at that price I have to say I am disappointed. I will get NZG stuff again, but I cannot help feeling anxious should there be an issue with a model.
MartinW
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:31:41 AM

You're right Chuck, You do tend to hear about the bad of anything more than the good.

I like the small Tonkin wheel loaders 966, 972 and so on, I think they are great little models but every other Tonkin model I have owned has had it's issue and following on from that the other releases I don't own also have issues.

Although I like to watch and read reviews from the usual online reviewers I take them with a pinch of salt. If someone is getting free models from a manufacturer (if this is what happens) the reviewer will feel obliged to give it a review in such a manner that it does not highlight the bad points.

I have done my fair share of Tonkin bashing but with just good cause due to the poor quality of models I have received. I like to see the real life reviews on here from collectors highlighting the problems.

The MT4400 with no decals and tonkin saying that is terrible, the material handler with the boom lights facing the wrong way, it's all attention to detail in the assembly not the result of keeping costs down.

I've taken the decision not to buy any more Tonkin models based on the real life collectors views on here and facebook.

I would hazard a guess that everyone on here who owns a 4400 would happily pay a little bit more and get a quality product, I know I would.

RMS Models
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 1:29:01 PM

MartinW,

If you think maintaining attention to detail in the assembly does not add cost, you are sadly mistaken. I'm not saying is should not be done, I'm just saying that it most definately adds cost to the product, any product that is produced.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
MartinW
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 4:07:03 PM

Putting decals on a model and bits on the right way is part of the process and does not add cost, and at the end of the process there is a quality control check to pick these issues up.