DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Portsmouth Bridge Replacement Photo Blog! Options · View
CraneInnovation
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:27:12 PM

Groups: Member

The Route 1 Bypass bridge in Portsmouth, NH is being replaced over the next few years with a parallel crossing concrete/steel lift span drawbridge. Professionally, I will be very close to the work, the substructure in particular.

If there is interest, I would be happy to provide a steady diet of pics of the action! Word has it that a couple of rare breed Manitowocs, old and new, will make eventual appearances on site!

There is one 4100 crawler on the Portsmouth side in the main yard, and I just caught the boom raising of the second on the Kittery side. They will begin trestle installation on this side next week. A 4000 will be arriving in a week or two to the Portsmouth side to begin erecting trestle spans on that side. I believe another 4100 and a 2250 are supposed to arrive in addition to whatever the drilling sub brings in for the 10' diameter shafts. After that 1 - 2 Ringers will be involved followed by another rig or two. What fun is it to have toys if you don't bring 'em all out?! Cool

4100 Booming up:

EDIT: Note that the headache ball is hanging upside down from a strap. The reason is that one of the first things this crane will be handling is a pile hammer.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
Peterbilt737
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:52:20 PM

Pics would be great!!!!! Will have to drive up from Mass to see this bridge built now!!!!!!!!
cranedude07
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 10:52:57 PM

I would love pics of this project!

There are 2 bridges going up here in louisville ky right now. They are about halfway done with the downtown crossing/refurbish spaghetti junction, while the east end bridge is about a third done.

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
CraneInnovation
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:52:59 AM

Hey guys! Been a bit of a delay on the start of pile driving, but we should start putting steel in mud this week!

Since the last update, we've got a 4000 on the Portsmouth side starting a cofferdam on the west side of Market St. bringing our total of heavy Manitowocs to 3. Rumor has it that a 2250 is next!

Was on site for a walk-through with the safety guys discussing how to get our monitoring equipment where it needs to be safely.

Manitowoc 4100 Series 2 picking up the D62 to send it over to the Kittery side.

4100 on the Kittery side trying to get pin piles driven for the trestle abutment template. Really bony overburden...that's how it goes driving pile in New England!

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
kerst
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:59:27 AM

thank you! Nice 4100!
I am looking forward to the updates!

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
mariot
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:43:02 PM

Definitely please post pictures. This will be a fun little job to watch.
CraneInnovation
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:13:21 AM

Still haven't started driving the 30" dia. piles for the temporary trestles due to challenges with getting piles driven for the templates. Driving ANYTHING in New England is a toss-up!

Still got to be on site planning out my work. Got to the Portsmouth side after a meeting just in time to see the 4100 Series 2 walked through a tight gate and up onto a stone causeway next to the Pan Am railroad branch going into Newington. This branch sees a few trains a week and the flagman was a guy I knew from years earlier in community theater work (I am a sound and lighting engineer on the side). Small world! We have no idea how they're getting a 2250 through this gate without removing it.....cause that's what's going on this section of trestle when its done!

-Pierre S. Dupont
eef7260
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:27:29 PM

Very nice pictures , thanks for posting.
Looking forward to see some more.

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:29:03 PM

Nice pics, my cousin is a cop in Portsmouth.

Is that the Pan-Am or the Providence and Worchester rail line?
CraneInnovation
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:36:26 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Nice pics, my cousin is a cop in Portsmouth.

Is that the Pan-Am or the Providence and Worchester rail line?

Pan-Am...Newington Branch.

We're driving pile today!

-Pierre S. Dupont
CraneInnovation
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:01:29 PM

Got some more of what you love!

Didn't quite get to driving with the diesel hammer this week, but got piles vibed in on the Kittery side and the Portsmouth side. We have three trestles going in...one from the Maine side and two in Portsmouth. The main Portsmouth trestle over the river isn't starting for a month or two, but they are installing the abutment bent for a shorter one over an inlet between Market St. and the Pan Am tracks. This one is designed for a 2250, the others are 4100 size only.

Hard driving with the vibro in Kittery....the template is a 5' section of pipe just bigger than the pile and they were BOILING the water inside it!

Setting the other two piles

Walking the 4100 out on a stack of crane mats to get within 65' of the bent....that diesel hammer in the background with 50' of leads is 55,000lb!

Took most of the day to get her leveled up again.

First bent on the Cutt's Cove trestle...

Shake 'n bake with the APE 200 vibro!

-Pierre S. Dupont
Peterbilt737
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 10:45:22 PM

Any new pics of the recent cranes?
KyleS
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:19:07 PM

I've made a few concrete deliveries to this job today.

- Kyle