DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Kyle's DieCast Collection **UPDATED** 4-5-16 KW T880 Tri Drive Canadian Log Truck, Custom Peterbilt Options · View
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 10:32:32 PM

Groups: Member

The Kenworth K200 looks pretty damn good hooked up to the East flat bed trailer.

"/>

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 10:38:39 PM

Im hoping to get a Reefer trailer to paint like this one and possibly try and match the stripes on mine as well. I love this trucks setup.

"/>

- Kyle
KPD23
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:51:08 PM

I have a question, does a sword trailer fit on the WSI 5th Wheel ?
KyleS
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:43:33 PM

I have no idea honestly. The sword King pin is a tad too big to fit properly in the Drake K200. I am thinking about enlarging the hole on the 5th wheel or possibly changing te King pin. I know WSI trailers fit Drake Kenworth 5th wheels but I don't know if the WSI 5th whe will fit a sword King pin.

- Kyle
Brett G
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:21:11 AM

if you wait you'll have a proper australian made freighter refer from drake as well all the other freighter trailers. OR settle for second best & use a Euro trailer.

don't try enlarge the 5th wheel it will brake , file or replace the trailer pin.

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

KyleS
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:29:02 PM

Thanks Brett, I am trying to be patient and wait for Drake. I want a proper 3 axle (with fenders if possible) refer trailer for the K200 just like the picture above. Im tempted to try and mimic that picture if I can find a good way to replicate the stripes on the tractor. I was looking at WSI trailers and they are ok but only if I didn't know Drake had plans of producing them.

I wasn't really comfortable modifying the K200 5th wheel so I was thinking of changing to thinning down the sword King pin. Im really excited for Drakes future releases!!!

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:10:06 PM

I made a wood load for my ATS Freightliner and East Trailer. I hand cut and sliced all the pieces in different widths out of balsa. Hoping to imitate bunks of building materials.

Pics

"/>

"/>

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 11:34:58 PM

Komatsu HM-400 dump truck showed up on Wednesday. What a beautiful model this is. For a relatively inexpensive model the detailing is top notch! Down to the embossed tire lettering, drive line and perfectly working suspension, dump angle and articulation. I'd say this model is right up there with WSI as well as my matching Komatsu HM400 Water truck. Die Cast Promotions (and FF ERTL company) did a great job with this one. Too bad it's out of production now.

I also added a set of custom exhaust stacks to my Kenworth T880 and flush mounted the beacon to the roof. Next up this truck will be turned in to tri drive log truck.

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 9:12:08 AM

Went to the local Fair 2 weeks ago and picked up these two ERTL models for less then retail.

The 948L is nice but it's got the typical plastic wheels and big rivets of ertl. The grapple is nice and made of metal but one piston keeps pulling out when the grapple is fully closed because the piston rod is too short. Not sure how to fix this. I also removed the inner wheels and tires. I'm not a fan of the dual tire setup and it's too wide for a trailer load. The left and right articulation is not the best either. Maybe I can file some material away to help the turning radius.

I also got my Shapeways 3D Printed Logger headboard for my T880 that I'm turning in to a tri drive Canadian log hauler.

The 843L is nice but like the 959K the feller head is plastic. It's basically the same casting as the 948 but with differences for the feller purpose.

- Kyle
noraztrans
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:19:37 PM

[quote=KyleS]Went to the local Fair 2 weeks ago and picked up these to Ertls for less then retail.

The 948L is nice but it's got the typical plastic wheels and big rivets of ertl. The grapple is nice and made of metal but one piston keeps pulling out when the grapple is fully closed because the piston rod is too short. Not sure how to fix this. I also removed the inner wheels and tires. I'm not a fan of the dual tire setup and it's too wide for a trailer load. The left and right articulation is not the best either. Maybe I can file some material away to help the turning radius.

I also got my Shapeways 3D Printed Logger headboard for my T880 that I'm turning in to a tri drive Canadian log hauler.

The 843L is nice but like the 959K the feller head is plastic. It's basically the same casting as the 948 but with differences for the feller purpose.

[/quote

How did you get the duals apart on the skidder? Do the otters come off or is it an ordeal and require separation of the axle? We just got a 648l at our dealer. There pretty sweet skidder but I don't think Thell hold a candle to an H or G deere skidder.

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:38:41 PM

Pulled both sides at once till outers came off, then pulled off inners the same way, then cut the axle shaft to the right length. Pressed on one outer wheel and made abrasions in the cut end for grip with a dab of epoxy and pressed it on making sure it did not glue the wheel to the machine. It was a pain but it was worth it.

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:44:27 PM

Shapeways 3D (Modelmechanic) printed 7 bar loggers head board and custom exhaust stacks on the T880. I'll be buying a T880 donor truck soon to properly convert this tractor to a Tri Drive setup.

- Kyle
noraztrans
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 12:18:23 AM

That 3d stuff is cool I got Steve nasburg"the model mechanic" 1/64 murray and it is cool. That headache looks killer. Can't wait to see it done.

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
KPD23
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 2:41:43 AM

those stacks look awesome, where did you find them?
KyleS
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 10:55:35 PM

Thank you! The Model Mechanic makes the head board and the log trailer I'm going to buy soon.

The stacks are made from portable radio telescopic antenna sections. I always save antennas for exhaust stacks and tips. I chose a diameter equal to the Oem exhaust shields and cut them at a 45° angle in my model mitre box/handsaw. Then I cut the T880 stacks 1/4' above the shields and sanded them down until the antenna piece could fit on snug. Glued on with some 5 min epoxy and painted the inside black.

When I find another donor antenna this truck will get larger stacks with a 45° bend in the "bull hauler" style stack, my favorite style.

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:54:15 PM

This is the Canadian truck in modeling my T880 after with a few additions of my own...

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 4:05:32 PM

Some dreams came true this past Christmas and some new models came my way.

First up:

WSI Hitachi ZX870 with bucket

First Gear Roadtec SB2500 Shuttle Buggy material transfer machine

Norscot Roadtec RX-700 Cold Planer

Norscot Roadtec RP-190 Paver

First Gear Mack Granite MP with Talbert 3 axle lowboy in Iowa DOT Orange

I also bought the 3D Printed log trailers to finish building (axles and paint) from Modelmechanic on Shapeways for my T880 Log Truck project I've been working on.

Today while going through a box in my closet I found these two little guys that I never unpacked when we moved over 2 years ago.

Coming 2016

WSI/Sword Peterbilt 379 with 4 axle Rogers lowboy in Rich's Towing Livery

Joal Komatsu WA800

TMC Hitachi ZX470 and ZX250 and ZW310

And hopefully many more after that

- Kyle
Basketball Man
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 5:53:24 PM

Nice to see those great paving models!

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 7:43:55 PM

They really are very nice models in comparison to other Norscot models. My only complaint about the First Gear Shuttle Buggy is the steering wheels are fixed but that is normal for FG. The detail on all three models is very well done plastic parts or Diecast.

They were bought directly from Roadtec's home office for $50 each plus shipping yet some people pay over $150 each online!!!!

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:28:35 PM

I finally finished the 3D printed Pitts style log trailer, waiting to get more axles for the pup trailer. Not a bad project for a nicely finished piece. Prep, paint, detail, etc is pretty much like building and painting a normal plastic model kit. I used First Gear Mack Granite axles, which are to my dismay a different casting then the wheels in the T880 which will drive me nuts.

Before paint

Before paint with the T880 axles on it

With Mack Axles

After paint

I painted all the lights and added hand made reflective strips made from real reflective strips.

After the pup trailer is done the last step will be to buy a T880 for parts to make my T880 a True Tri Drive Candian Log Truck.

Next I want to get a pair of red T880s one with a black lowboy and I am going to use that lowboy and my current black lowboy and make a beam trailer and Jew dolly. Then I will paint red and white vertical stripes on the T880 bumper to be the Canadian warning sign with the D on it to make a heavy haul crew.

I also moved my collection to a slightly larger table. This will be an experiment to see if I can trust my children to not touch my models.

If all goes well I will have 3 new models joining my collection in a few weeks.

- Kyle