DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Glue smears Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 11:22:25 PM

Groups: Member

I had a grab bar pop out on a CCM Dozer. When trying to glue it back(which is almost impossible), I smeared a bit of glue on the paint and the plastic window, Any tips on removing the smear? Good grief these things are delicate. CAW
dain555
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 2:24:01 PM

Might be able to remove it using a swab and either some nail polish remover or alcohol (not the drinking kind). If you use the nail polish remover use acetone type if you used a super glue type glue or non acetone if you used another type of glue.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
dain555
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 2:24:35 PM

Might be able to remove it using a swab and either some nail polish remover or alcohol (not the drinking kind). If you use the nail polish remover use acetone type if you used a super glue type glue or non acetone if you used another type of glue.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Quinella
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 7:03:29 PM

Well I ruined it. The nail polish worked fairly well, but the streak was still visible. So I tried more and more is not necessarily better. Window is entirely fogged in now. I hate myself for ever removing the dozer from the box. These pieces are so fragile, especially the grab rails. I will leave them in the box from now on. I will sell this one for a loss. I am so furious at myself. Thanks for the help, but I am not skilled with my hands as I might have been when I was young. I think I'll start collecting bricks. Maybe I won't screw them up.
Barkerjoh
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 12:52:56 AM

Quinella wrote:
Well I ruined it. The nail polish worked fairly well, but the streak was still visible. So I tried more and more is not necessarily better. Window is entirely fogged in now. I hate myself for ever removing the dozer from the box. These pieces are so fragile, especially the grab rails. I will leave them in the box from now on. I will sell this one for a loss. I am so furious at myself. Thanks for the help, but I am not skilled with my hands as I might have been when I was young. I think I'll start collecting bricks. Maybe I won't screw them up.

We all make mistakes brother. Don't be so hard on yourself. Life is too short to do so.
3406E
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 1:52:23 AM

Don't feel so bad man, we've all made mistakes or had accidents and messed up a model. Don't give up on the hobby just because of this.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
GC1
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 8:21:34 AM

What the others said...I wouldn't go belting myself up too badly...we have all done it. You can also try getting new clear screen and replace the crazed windscreen, you can also cut back the paint with a really good cutting compound...fine as you can get...you have already done the damage so you have nothing to lose....or pull it right down and paint it in a scheme of your own choosing...just be careful and the main thing with all these models is take your time.
SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:09:53 AM

Practice,practice. I've done my share,superglue smears on train windows,trying to connect boom on 18000 broke it, lately putting new extension kit on 4100 slipped and fell breaking boom.Yes its easy. I 'try' to have patience and plan and not be in a hurry
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 8:02:50 PM

Thanks from all of you for your encouraging words. I am so distraught because it was my favorite dozer of all time, the CCM D9H. Here are my thoughts. I could display it on a lowboy from the good side. No one would ever know it was ruined. Or, I could weather it and put mud over the distressed area. Or, I could make it look like it had caught on fire and the smoke came out the side of the engine and got all over the side of the cab. Or I could pretend the operator got stuck in the mud, got mad and took an AK47 to it or maybe a rocket propelled grenade. I could sell it to someone who could restore it to some former sense of itself. I already have a lowball, offer which is understandable. But I hate giving away a CAT D9H. I could sell it to someone unsuspecting liike Chuck. Nah, Korey would figure that out. The OZ boys are too smart.. The Eurpoeans don't want a CAT. Hmmm.. Hey what was that guy in Arkansas or Missouri? RLMC? He might be dumb enough. Just a thought. CAW
AZ2RAIL
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:00:02 PM

See, your options are endless. While you may be upset, don't sell it at to much of a loss. That may make you feel worse than keeping it in not mint condition.
gabugman
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 10:17:42 PM

Weather that puppy and make it your centerpiece!

Bug

ITW Security
3406E
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:03:26 AM

You could weather it and make the window look like it was busted by a rock coming off a hillside.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
sd90
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 5:46:51 AM

Put vandal screens on the windows fine mess i have used a very fine fly wire
I dropped my heavy lift jib from my mammoet 1600-2 and snapped off the bottom lug
On the jib waiting on jb weld to fix it ,tried super glue but not to good.
As we say down under sh ell be right mate.
Leon.
GC1
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 6:03:51 AM

That is a great idea d90...
Cubanb343
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:59:06 AM

What kind of bricks are you selling? Tan, red? Good condition?
I tried rigging my bay crane 1500, and one of the blocks looks like it was stepped on by a horse. There are some other parts that just make you wonder. Damaged sheaves etc. Sometimes it's almost like they try too hard to make things fancy, to the point you can't even take them out of the box.
HeavyHaul
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:50:21 PM

Why not convert it to a D9H with OROPS?
DOLPHIN
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 2:07:24 PM

Craig

How about some rubbing compound - you will however have to be very patient as it might take a lot of rubbing. Or replace the whole cab plastic "glass" with thin transparent plastic formed into the same shape. If it is a superglue type you should be able to get glue remover from your hardware shop.

I don't know if it will help but you could also ask CCM if they might have some spares to replace the cab ''glass".

Dolph