DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Conrad Liebherr T284 question Options · View
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:38:11 PM
Groups: Member

I read on one of the European forums that the dump bed is made of plastic. Can anybody confirm or refute this?
mol
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:58:39 PM

Wesserhutte,

Yes, The entire dumpbed is made of plastic.=>:-< I have had the model in my hands on the Model Show Europe in Ede. I was really disappointed with the fact that it is made of plastic. The dealer confirmed it also. Conrad always had lesser details than other manufacturers but the “made in Germany” heavy metal feel made up for it. Exactly that feeling was what made Conrad so nice. With the Liebherr T284 that feeling is gone!
The price of the model is €295 Euro’s!!!!!!!!!!!! So here goes the fairytale about the high prices due to the cost of the materials (metal).Shame on you Even whith a lot of plastic the price is still very high.
RMS Models
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:11:26 PM

Wow !!! That is very disapointing ! I've always had the very same philosophy that mol expressed: that heavy feel. Different scale, but the International 350 Payhauler dump in 1:25 scale has an all plastic dump body and was very unsatisfying unpacking the model and picking it up.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
Paul
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:32:49 PM

Seriously??.

I guess I'll still buy one but I 100% agree with Anton(Mol).

If I want a plastic model I'll buy Airfix......

Sad

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:16:23 PM

mol,

Of course I say thanks for the information, but it is not what I was hoping to read! I agree completely with you that Conrad models have always been the most special to me because you knew you were holding something solid in your hands!

Damn it Günther and/or Michael and Christine!!!

Could you tell if the bed was moulded in the Liebherr white color or if it was painted? I am asking because I have to wonder about how the colors will age. Many collectors have seen that some plastic parts on various models that originally matched the painted metal have not survived well over time.

Depending on the exact recipe of plastic/resin used, I really have to question if that much weight was saved? I have reviewed dozens of photos and the model does present well. At least when brand new, you wouldn't know until you touched it.

I thought it was curious that when this model appeared there was talk of the dump bed being easily removable and wondered if Westech, Duratray, Esco, etc. might have commissioned a body to mount on the model. Does anybody know why it was done?

mol
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 5:47:34 AM

Weserhutte,

The plastic dump bed was a disappointment for me to. This model was high on my wish list but now it is off. The good side is that I now have some extra space in my cabinet and still have €295 euro’s in my pocket.
The dump bed is painted so it matches the rest of the model. That was the least Conrad could do to get rid of the plastic look. This will be the reason the you won’t see is on the pictures
The rumor about the removable dump bed is new for me. I hope it is true. This would be a good opportunity to solve this plastic dump bed blunder of Conrad.

If this is the road (plastic road) Conrad is going to follow in the future I hope they lose their Liebherr license. The 9800 also has a lot of plastic parts and Tracks! I only bought the backhoe and will not buy the shovel due to the amount of plastic in it. Plastic tracks??? It is 2015 dear Conrad!!!!
Weserhutte
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:42:58 PM

mol,

Regarding the removeable dump bed, please see this video? Herr Bitschin makes it a point to explain it!

Unfortunately, the interviewer did not follow-up with asking about the alternate bed (at least not in the edited video). I guess we will all find out in the future.

Another thing that causes me concern is the the T284 is noticeably larger than the T282B, when the real trucks are only dimensionally different of any significance only in overall width and at 1:50 scale is less than a quarter of an inch.

Both models cannot be accurate.

Greasemonkey
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 5:10:14 AM

Weserhutte wrote:

Another thing that causes me concern is the the T284 is noticeably larger than the T282B, when the real trucks are only dimensionally different of any significance only in overall width and at 1:50 scale is less than a quarter of an inch.

Both models cannot be accurate.

I'm not sure how you figure that. The T284 is 1'2" longer, 2'2" wider, and 1'5" taller than the T282B. That means the model should be 0.28" longer, 0.52" wider, and 0.34" taller than the T282B model. Not less than a quarter of an inch wider as you claim.

Can you post a picture to demonstrate the noticeable difference in size of the two models you mention?
SJDownes
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 7:07:30 AM

If you are referring to the difference in size on the video, that is because it is being compared to the T264, not the T282B. During the toyfair, I put both models side by side and the T284 is fractionally larger.

Steven

Miniature Construction World on Facebook
Miniature Construction World on Twitter
sjd@miniature-construction-world.co.uk
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:37:04 PM

SJDownes wrote:
If you are referring to the difference in size on the video, that is because it is being compared to the T264, not the T282B. During the toyfair, I put both models side by side and the T284 is fractionally larger.

Man, I must have had a "senior moment" or too many Guinness on Sunday!
Paul
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:29:43 PM

Steven, could you shed any light on the issue regarding if the dump body is indeed made from a type of resin?.

I don't dispute it but it would be good to have it confirmed!.

Thanks.

digggerr
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 9:29:40 PM

I see that cranesetc is in possession of one, but would bet money that he won't respond to this thread!

Prove me wrong Ian?
SJDownes
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:10:09 AM

The dump body of the Liebherr T284 is made from a special strong automotive plastic material and this was done so the body can be detachable from the chassis, to use as a load for a heavy haulage rig. It is unlikely that the next batch of models will have the detachable body option, so anyone who wants this functionality should snap up one of the first batch.

Steven

digggerr
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:43:31 AM

SJDownes wrote:
The dump body of the Liebherr T284 is made from a special strong automotive plastic material and this was done so the body can be detachable from the chassis, to use as a load for a heavy haulage rig. It is unlikely that the next batch of models will have the detachable body option, so anyone who wants this functionality should snap up one of the first batch.

Steven

So are you suggesting that the next batch will have metal non-detachable beds?
SJDownes
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 12:15:05 PM

Not quite, my understanding is that when Conrad produce the next batch for collectors, they may not have the ability to detach the bed.

Paul
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 1:26:52 PM

Thanks for the interesting info Steven, even if the next batch is metal I personally would never have removed the dump body anyway.

My initial "displeasure" at the thought of a resin dump body has eased though so I'll just be happy to get the model whichever material is used.

Smile

moooove
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 2:56:55 PM

I don´t see any reason why a diecast dump body shouldn´t be detachable. Maybe I´m wrong... And I´m really curious, if the next batch will have a metal dump body? I have my doubts about it... Think

To me the plastic dump body gives a pretty big negative touch... Not talking

Happy Easter to everybody!
gbarnewall
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 3:35:08 PM

I don't get this specific plastic debate,ok it won't weight in the same but the body is painted so colour match should be perfect,body goes up,body comes down,I don't see how being metal will change this?

I would be hoping they took advantage of higher scaled detail being made easier to reproduce,I'm looking forward to seeing Ian's review on this,

Don't get me wrong, plastic in some uses can cheapen the look or quality of a model,especially when not painted and left for daylight to bleach it,I also think WSI's use of plastic in their ltm1500 jib is a great idea

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

catkom3
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 5:37:02 PM

As Christian always said," The only difference between plastic and diecast was....a good coat of paint"
Regards
Joe.
Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 10:24:14 PM

catkom3 wrote:
As Christian always said," The only difference between plastic and diecast was....a good coat of paint"
Regards
Joe.

... Or a tube of glue; plastic being much easier to break.