DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI Western Star scale Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:55:27 PM

Groups: Member

I just bought my first WSI Western Star and "Good Grief" is it big. Everyone absolutely sure this is 1:50 scale? Next to Chuck's Pete or KW, it is overwhelming. The quality is pretty good, but nothing compared to Sword. I'd say it is more in line with an Alan Smith 1:48 scale. It goes okay with Sword's Rogers lowboys. Who bought out Western Star? Was it Ford? Is it primarily in Canada? What trailers do you guys recommend matching up with this beast. It comes by itself. I'm think of the buying the Kenworth too. It has no trailer either. Now I think I'll go to bed. Be sleeping in this big sleeper cab tonight.
noraztrans
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:31:25 PM

Western star I belive is part of freightliner. Ford no longer produces class 8 trucks. Western star is primarily a Canadian truck or at least they used to be produced there. As for trailers any north American trailer would be prototypical accurate. But the sword 3x3x3 would probably be best suited. Hoperation the helps chris.

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
Barkerjoh
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 12:48:55 AM

Quinella wrote:
I just bought my first WSI Western Star and "Good Grief" is it big. Everyone absolutley sure this is 1:50 scale? Next to Chuck's Pete or KW, it is overwhelming. The quality is pretty good, but nothing compared to Sword. I'd say it is more in line with an Alan Smith 1:48 scale. It goes okay with Sword's Rogers lowboys. Who bought out Western Star? Was it Ford? Is it primarily in Canada? What trailers do you guys recommend matching up with this beast. It comes by itself. I'm think of the buying the Kenworth too. It has no trailer either. Now I think I'll go to bed. Be sleeping in this big sleeper cab tonight.

It truly is a great piece. I originally purchased the western star and after being impressed I purchased the kenworth as well both excellent pieces neither one disappoints and if you have a chance to get the other don't hesitate to purchase you will reget it. I will try to get pics of them both together.
CatD11T
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 2:43:15 AM

The WSI western star is a great model. However I think the only trailer that does this truck justice is a nice b-train flatbed.

But that's just me.

-Adam
DumpsterToy
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 1:32:34 PM

Compared the Smith T 800 KW model tractor with the WSI T 800 KW and the WSI Western Star tractors and there is quite a difference in size. If time permits this afternoon, I will try and get some pics and post them. Do not know what the better half has planned for this afternoon. Shes working this AM to support my bad habit of collecting models.
WCollins
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 5:45:50 PM

noraztrans wrote:
Western star I belive is part of freightliner. Ford no longer produces class 8 trucks. Western star is primarily a Canadian truck or at least they used to be produced there.

Western Star is owned by Daimler as is Freightliner and Detroit diesel, and sadly they are not made in Kelowna BC. anymore, their now made in Portland OR. Freightliner plant. And why did Ford have to exit the class 8 market the best trucks i've driven were L & C series Fords.

Even though it's not the Western Star, here's the Kenworth C500 against some other trucks.

The Drake Kenworth T909 & A.Smith Mack RD800

The Bobcat Freightliner FLD112 and Conrad FLC112

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
Quinella
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:20:41 PM

Great pictures. A picture says a thousand words. These WSI monsters have to be closer to 1:48 at least. By the way, I hooked up a black Sword Nelson ramp trailer to the gray Western Star and Holy Smokes does it look good. Also, pardon my ignorance, but what does the "D" on the oversize red & white sign on top stand for? I think I'll get the KW for sure now. A red would match well with a Rogers flip or a Nelson ramp. The B train flatbed really looked good. How about one of those Chuck? Get off your big wallet and get us some models!!!!! The Colonel
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:22:09 PM

Quinella,

DANGER

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
Ross Fowlie
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 9:12:28 PM

Actually Randy, the "D" stands for Dimensional. Dimensional as in oversized load. In Ontario, the D has to be placed on the trailer when carrying an oversized load and has to be removed from the trailer when it is empty. I just had a conversation today with one of our float drivers when he was delivering equipment to my jobsite today.

Ross
EliMax
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 9:54:44 PM

Check this out, Quinnella. Glad to see you posting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elis-Hobby-Diecast/803248369690387?ref=hl
Ironman88
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 5:57:45 AM

Ross Fowlie wrote:
Actually Randy, the "D" stands for Dimensional. Dimensional as in oversized load. In Ontario, the D has to be placed on the trailer when carrying an oversized load and has to be removed from the trailer when it is empty. I just had a conversation today with one of our float drivers when he was delivering equipment to my jobsite today.

Ross

Hahaha Randy was wrong again, so awesome!

Jeremy Whitlow
Chicagowhitlow@yahoo.com
jeremy.l.whitlow.rad.@mail.yea.lol
RMS Models
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 8:27:11 AM

Ironman88,

My information was taken from a recent article in the trade publication "Commercial Car Journal".

I guess you can not trust the writers/editors of a trade publication.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
Ironman88
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:42:36 AM

RMS Models wrote:
Ironman88,

My information was taken from a recent article in the trade publication "Commercial Car Journal".

I guess you can not trust the writers/editors of a trade publication.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com

No Randy it's just you we can't trust.

Jeremy L. Whitlow
Chicagowhitlow@yahoo.com
jeremy.l.whitlow.rad.@mail.yea.lol
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 10:10:02 AM

WCollins wrote:
noraztrans wrote:
Western star I belive is part of freightliner. Ford no longer produces class 8 trucks. Western star is primarily a Canadian truck or at least they used to be produced there.

Western Star is owned by Daimler as is Freightliner and Detroit diesel, and sadly they are not made in Kelowna BC. anymore, their now made in Portland OR. Freightliner plant. And why did Ford have to exit the class 8 market the best trucks i've driven were L & C series Fords.

Even though it's not the Western Star, here's the Kenworth C500 against some other trucks.

The Drake Kenworth T909 & A.Smith Mack RD800

The Bobcat Freightliner FLD112 and Conrad FLC112

Thanks for showing the comparison. Ken
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:50:49 PM

Isn't the Western Star truck made by WSI physically a larger truck then most other trucks? Western Star is pretty much the standard around the world when it comes to heavy haul it seems. Mammoet uses them as well as many other companies so I would assume they are the best. Whenever I see the big heavy haul Western Star trucks they always look a lot bigger or at least bulkier then typical every day heavy haul trucks like a T800.

- Kyle
KyleS
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 1:15:18 PM

Here you go Quinella

Photos courtsey of Mammoet Canada Western LTD Face Book

Check out the size of the driver in Orange next to the truck.

"/>

"/>

- Kyle
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:09:37 PM

Thanks for all those pictures. Elimax you can send that Smith triple down this way. Been a long time since I had one of those. Don't forget to put a support under the lowboy. Just ordered the WSI Kenworth in red thanks to you guys. Please don't tell my wife. I spent our "butter and egg" money on it. CAW
Custom_Styrene
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:11:54 PM

Quinella wrote:
Thanks for all those pictures. Elimax you can send that Smith triple down this way. Been a long time since I had one of those. Don't forget to put a support under the lowboy. Just ordered the WSI Kenworth in red thanks to you guys. Please don't tell my wife. I spent our "butter and egg" money on it. CAW

I won't tell her as long as you ordered 2! Lol

Lee

customstyrene@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/customsytrene
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 11:12:10 PM

Western Star has a long history. It started out as a White product developed to be competition for Kenworth and Peterbilt in the west. In the late 1980's and early 1990's after the Autocar plant in Exton, PA was closed, both brands were briefly built it Ogden, Utah. After White's bankruptcy, Bow Valley Resources acquired the brand. At that time there was only Canadian production in Kelowna, BC. During an earlier decline in oil's fortunes the brand was again sold or added the involvement of their Australian distributor. Freightliner under Jim Hebe then acquired the brand as well as the former Ford line that was renamed Sterling. Both Autocar and Sterling had sold in the western US before their the introduction of Western Star. The mid 1980's Western Star axle forward tractor and the Autocar ACL series were identical trucks save the nameplates and grills.

Interestingly, Western Star remained closer to the old Autocar in build quality, and custom building. Autocar and White were acquired by Volvo and in turn acquired in pieces through a short lived joint venture GMC class eight trucks. The consolidate product became the White WG series which shared a cab with the final Autocar conventionals.

Western Star with its plant near the Canadian logging and oil fields and its low volume allowing almost custom building, as well as exposure to the Autocar line during the Ogden days, became one of the almost custom builders. The move to Portland care about in an effort to make production more efficent and cost effective. Freightliner had updated most of its convention line and established new volume plants but was left with the need to build certain frames and cabs to satisfy US military contracts. Hence the Freightliner FLD SD and it's military variant continued in Portland along with the "Classic" series. To utilize the balance of the plant, Western Star production was moved from Canada to Portland. When the military contract ran out, the Freightliner models were discontinued and updated and production moved to plants that built the new generation Freightliner frame. At the same time Freightliner was trying to become a highway brand as it initially had been when owned by Consolidated Freightways. Sterling (former Ford) and produced in Mexico and Western Star were to be the vocational side but Sterling never captured enough market share other than in municipal markets to be viable as it had lost much of its fleet business during the transition.

Fortunately Western Star was enough under the radar that it continued on and served a small cadre of over the road truckers as well as eastern US customers looking for a truck similar to earlier Macks and Autocars as well as it's original US and Canadian customers in logging and oil.

As truck manufacturers became more volume oriented, only two have continued to serve the heavier GVW ranges. Those are Western Star and Kenworth with the C500 variants. The Western Star, when moving for the earlier cab inherited from Autocar, developed a much wider but more modern in construction galvanized steel cab and hence its wide and high stance. Paccar had earlier eliminate some of the overlap between Kenworth and Peterbilt. Peterbilt lost its extreme duty models but continued as the sole provider of low cab forward chassis for refuse work. Mack under Volvo lost the 800 series and only recently with the Titan has attempted to restore some of the options available in the DM and RD 800 series.

Hence the North American specialty trucks remaining are the Kenworth C500 family and Western Star 4900 severe duty and 6900 extreme duty models. Both are popular with heavy haulers and in severe logging and oil field work. Hendrickson as the ongoing HME and under new ownership has concentrated more on fire apparatus. It remains to see how the Titan does at Mack.

kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:40:59 AM

Thanks DC, it is always good to hear from you! I enjoy hearing the industry history. Ken