DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Moving Display Cabinets? Options · View
Dan85
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:33:52 PM

Groups: Member

This weekend I will be picking up three glass display cabinets (70"x40"x20") I purchased from a store closing sale. I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who's had some experience moving similar cases.

I'm thinking of picking up a few packing blankets to wrap the cases - not sure if it makes more sense to rent some from Uhaul or buy a bunch from harbor Freight. I suspect I may want to stuff some on the inside to shore it up a little bit? The cases have casters on the bottom, but I'm thinking a hand truck off the end is the easiest way to move them.

I've got an array of vehicles/trailers available to move the cases. I was thinking of shipping them in my enclosed trailer, laying on their backside across, strapped down.

Any input would be appreciated. There are also several cases remaining, so if you're local and want some info, I'll pass along the contact information.

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
GC1
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:21:18 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track and have most of it covered already Dan....wrap any shelves up tight also..glass shelves especially, they tend to get damaged easily. Don't rush it also...things get broken when you rush...do it easy. Just a little hint from experience and not breaking very much by being anal retentive. Don't cut corners either.
Ironstef70
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:38:10 AM

While moving them inside a house/appartment, you can lay them over the end of a thick beach towel, then drag them on the floor that way.

It saves the effort of lifting, is safer for preventing damages to furnitures (and your back too!), and also prevents scratching the floor. That is of course if you do not have carpet covered or rough floors. Eh?

Good luck!

S.

Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:01:23 PM

The best way to move them is the following,

1) Take out ALL shelves, wrap these in newspaper/newsprint paper (you can usually get newsprint paper from a moving company) and pack in a mirror box (narrow box used for mirrors when moving).

2) Wrap moving pad/moving blankets around case and tape in place!!

3) Use a hand truck to move cases (NEVER trust those little caster wheels), if you have to use an appliance hand truck like you'd use on a refrigerator and use the strap to secure it to the hand truck.

4) NEVER, EVER, NEVER lay the glass cabinet on it's side!!! Stand it up and secure it to you moving vehicle's wall with straps, you can put two side by side and strap both down together.

I have at least 2 years experience working with a moving and storage company and learned how to move glass cabinets like this and this is it!!! If you lay the glass cabinet is laid down the glass can fracture!!!

Basically treat them like eggs and if you have to fill the inside to protect it use Styrofoam packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Good luck!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:26:02 PM

Just thinking that a trailer may be a bit more bouncy over rough road conditions....pothole......R/R crossings etc.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:49:41 AM

a Cutter wrote:
Just thinking that a trailer may be a bit more bouncy over rough road conditions....pothole......R/R crossings etc.

As long as the cases are kept upright, padded and strapped down they will be fine in a trailer of any kind. Also the ride in a trailer with double axles is a lot smoother than one thinks it is.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Dan85
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:11:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it - especially Dain!

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about it. Unfortunately the backs are glass, which complicates matters. So I was thinking about two ways:

(1) Use my own pickup, strap a piece of plywood to the back side of the case (after it's wrapped in blankets) and lay it down on padding in the bed with the hopes that the plywood keeps it rigid enough to keep the glass from shattering. (what you say about the potential for the glass fracturing concerns me)

(2) Rent a U-haul with a ramp, hand truck it into box via the ramp (plywood attached for rigidity) and strap it upright to the wall. It seems like the more straight forward way, but definitely not the cheaper means!

dain555
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:14:09 AM

Another option I just thought of is to wrap the cases with the moving pads and then construct a plywood crate around them making sure it is quite tight to the pads. Leave bottom of crate off so you can use the casters but doing this you should be able to lay them down without any damage.

Also put a couple layers of pads under them in your pick up and you should be set. Oh and I'd screw the plywood together that way it comes apart easily at destination.

Dain

Dan85
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 6:39:18 PM

Well, mission accomplished.

I decided to rent a low deck truck with a ramp so I could use a hand truck to go up and down by myself - but apparently every Uhaul truck in western NY was booked for today (we have half a dozen colleges in the area and apparently a lot of kids were moving this weekend...) Eventually I headed back to Home Depot to get a hand truck and I was just going to use a truck from work, when I saw they had a Penske truck on the lot with a ramp. Cost was about $100 for 2-3 hours rental (only drove 13 mi!) but I got everything inside with a little help. I did use an appliance dolly and a sheet of 1/4" plywood between the case and the dolly to help brace the load - worked like a champ. I also decided against bringing the cases back to the apartment, I'm going to store them until I purchase a hose - hopefully sooner than later. I got the last (supposedly) remaining 5x10 unit inside a warehouse about two miles down the road. I'm not thrilled with paying rental fees, but I'm just glad to have cases.

I think the cases would have shipped fine on their backs in the back of my pickup, but to me it was worth the extra $100 to keep them upright and secured.

These are additional units still for sale at the shop.

a Cutter
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 1:29:56 PM

Ooooo I'd love to have one of those........looks like a good deal.