DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

New Member Options · View
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 6:17:30 PM

Groups: Member

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.
I have been reading the forum for many month's as a guest and looked forward to it everyday. Finally requested membership.
I am from Ontario, Canada. My first job for over ten years was with the Caterpillar Dealer here in Ontario (at the time George W Crothers) in there power division, service department. When I worked for Cat I installed power plants at many remote mine sites in Canada. Then worked for the government in a provincial jail and when it closed they paid for retraining as a heavy equipment operator. worked for several construction companies, mainly as excavator operator, 215, 235, a few J.D's and Komatsu .
Then I got offered my current position with Cummins Eastern Canada supervising power plants in hospitals and a few mine sites. And yes there are Cummins diesel engines in Cat Equipment and many other manufactures heavy equipment. Hence my interest in Cat models.
I collect diecast models for the surface mining industry in 1/50 size. I have many Norscot models as they are the most common to aqquire here. Have some Ertl and NZK also.
Will post a few pictures once I figure out how to. LOL
Gerald

Yes I own a lot of Norscot Cat models they remind me of my many good years working for a Cat Dealer. Going out to the back forty after work playing with used equipment just moving dirt around
Dan85
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 7:20:40 PM

Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your photos. If you're available to make it across the border, you should check out the IMCATS show in October in Buffalo.

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
max
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 11:56:02 PM

Welcome aboard, Gerald!!
I am from Canada as well, next province to the east(Québec, that is!!)
You mentionned theire are many engine manufacturers in Cat Equipment, i remember in the early 90's going to my locat Cat dealer and getting a bunch of littérature.Among it, theire was a spécifications sheet on the Cat CB514 smooth drum packer end it was mentionned that it was powered by a Detroit 3-53.....i found that quite unusual and somewhat hard to believe!!!!
You live in Brampton, do you know-or have you ever heard about a company called Paul Upshall Entreprises??
Back when i started collecting, i bought a few models from them.The service was terrible.
Have fun and enjoy the forums.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
max
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 11:57:56 PM

(sorry, double post....!!)
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
61BG
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:34:44 AM

Glad to see another Canuck on board! Maybe I will see you at work as we are suppose to be getting our 2 Hitachi (Euclid) 100t trucks re-powered with Cummins to replace the 2000 series MTUs in the near future.
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 6:38:38 PM

Hi Max I have never heard of Paul Upshaw, for the last few years I ha
ve been buying off ebay and Jolleyโ€™s Farm Toys and Diecast in Arthur. Jolley's has been bought out and is starting to carry more construction equipment. I have talked to the new owner a few times and they hope to pick up a few new lines of construction equipment. I would love that they are less then a hours drive from me.

Yes I own a lot of Norscot Cat models they remind me of my many good years working for a Cat Dealer. Going out to the back forty after work playing with used equipment just moving dirt around
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 6:43:32 PM

Dan 85
I am booking a few days off to go to the IMCATS show. A good excuse to pickup a LeTourneau L 1850 in yellow. I
t's interesting but in the 10 plus years I worked for the cat dealership I can't remember ever seeing anything in white in equipment yard.

3mscrap
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 12:23:33 AM

Welcome Gerald fellow Bramptonian!
I must say I haven't heard that Crothers name in a long time. I used to work in the equipment wrecking yard Stocks Equipment till it was bought out by Triple M Metals and everything Cat had the Crothers emblems on them. Either stickers to the old chrome emblems from the 40's.
I am sure you will enjoy the IMCATS show if you haven't already been. There much to see and learn from all that attend.
Max. I bought my first model from Paul Upshall back in '93. It was the Cat D7 military model. The last I seen advertised for him I believe he was in Wasaga Beach I think. Not sure if he is still selling.

Dan

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional
dain555
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 10:23:59 AM

Welcome to the forums!! ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Fabio
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 6:26:01 PM

Welcome aboard, Gerald!!!
Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 7:32:07 PM

Welcome to the forum, MAX. It's great to have more Canadians on board.

Stephane

Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 6:11:51 PM

Good to have you here. Can't wait to see your pics. With your experience, they should look great. Just one thing to clear up. You worked at that jail you mentioned. You weren't an inmate huh?!!!! CAW
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 10:38:42 AM

Welcome enjoy.Lots of exp.and knowledge here.