DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Why the green teeth? Options · View
KyleS
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:12:16 PM

Groups: Member

I've been searching pictures and reading through threads and every time I see a mining bucket on an excavator or drag line or a dozer ripper it has green teeth on it? What is the significance of this?

Also what do the terms LC or ME mean on excavators?

Thank you!

- Kyle
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:43:41 PM

KyleS wrote:
I've been searching pictures and reading through threads and every time I see a mining bucket on an excavator or drag line or a dozer ripper it has green teeth on it? What is the significance of this?

Also what do the terms LC or ME mean on excavators?

Thank you!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong before this post receives 400 lookies and no one comments.

The green teeth might have something to do with either the type of earth or just a brand color. Dunno for sure. Good question though.

LC = Long Carriage

ME ???= Mining Excavator

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 10:48:55 PM

The Green Teeth most likely represent an ESCO product. ESCO is a well known manufacturer of engineered metal wearparts and components for industrial applications. They also make buckets.
http://www.escocorp.com/EN/Products/Pages/product-lines.aspx

ME - Mass Excavation, it's just a stick configuration on an excavator that is shorter, but more heavy duty. You can also run heavier and larger attachments as well. For example most ME excavators are used to load ADTs, or off highway trucks. Some are also used for demolition, and can run large hammers, shears, or crushers.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

KyleS
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 12:57:05 AM

Thank you both of you!

That makes perfect sense about the teeth since the first time I noticed it was the Esco Drag line bucket. I will check the bucket I saw in the picture and see if I can read the name on it.

I was thinking of painting the teeth on my Gaz Evans bucket green because it looks cool. GE has a few pictures of one of his buckets painted with green teeth and it looked cool.

I was wondering what the benefit of the shorter boom and stick was, that makes sense now for those purposes.

- Kyle
Robert Heuston
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 1:00:21 AM

From my sightings here in Aus.
Green/Red is Esco product.
Blue/Grey is Bradken product.
Komatsu use blue and great aswell.
samk706
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 5:20:02 AM

I agree on the green being esco, the company I work for use esco bucket teeth and they are green.

And am I right in thinking ME is Mass Excavation? Short boom and stick for higher breakout force (ie bigger bucket/heavier attachment)

Sam

My equipment picture thread

Teeth
DC Craneman
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 2:40:28 PM

The Cat "ME" designation on excavators stands for mass excavation or mass excavator. We've had them in the fleets with which I've been involved. The option package includes a heavier boom and stick thought this is offset by a shorter reach (length). The combination allows use of larger attachments as mentioned. In normal dirt work this is a larger bucket. One can load an articulated dump truck quickly with these. Likewise, they will make fast work of an on road dump truck when working off a bench. We had a Hitachi EX550 mass excavator for a while. While a terror to legally move, we could load a tri-axle dump with a 17 foot bed in two buckets and the latter could be struck. The truck needed to be well positioned as the bucket if lowered into the bed cleared by only inches on each side.
MartinW
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 6:24:56 PM

I have seen photos of Liebherr shovels with wear plates and teeth this colour.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
GC1
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 8:50:45 PM

Liebherr have Ground Engaging Tools in a gold colour also...from the PDF on their site. I recieved my 9400 shovel yesterday and will do the teeth in Gold ..looks good.
digggerr
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 9:12:08 PM

Liebherr introduced their line of GET in 2012 in Las Vegas, but only for the R9100-R9400, and three years later it's not changed.

Regardless of the color, they look nice when new!
Cat336EL
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 10:51:29 AM

I know you didn't ask this directly, but thought I would add a little more information. When it comes to the cat hoes, L=Long Undercarriage, N=Narrow Undercarriage. So a 320BLN, is a long, narrow undercarriage machine. The Komatsu equivalent to ME is SP, so a machine such as a PC1250SP is a PC1250 Mass Excavator. Also, the current liebherr equivalent to ME is SME, Super Mass Excavator. Hope this helps some!

...Dylan

My Instagram: Cat330DL_Man
rare ss
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 12:02:53 PM

Just to add another, we ran a D7HXR which had longer track frames and an extra lower roller (trick for young players when ordering a new undercarriage kit!)
KyleS
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 1:23:04 PM

Thank you everyone. This was all awesome information! If you don't ask you'll never know and now I know!

One last question, since I'm buying a Hitachi ZX870 (hopefully 2 so I can paint one in John Deere 870G scheme) what does LCH on the Hitachi stand for and what are the Hitachi/JD equivalent of ME? I have not been able to find this on their sites, I know Gaz Evans makes ME booms and tools for them and just calls them ME.

- Kyle