DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Next Heavy Equipment Engine Options · View
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:05:44 PM

Groups: Member

As many of you know Cummins provides engines for many equipment manufacturers. Right now we have in our shop the new Cummins QSK 95 in a 3.5 MW generator set package. I am sure this will make it into some very large mining equipment. It's rated 3600 to 4400 hp in that type of application. Already it's going into a locomotives The one picture gives you a idea of it's size, that's a 5 gallon pail of oil sitting on the floor and the other is our current Canadian Prime Minister who visited our shop last week. Can't wait to here this monster come to life !!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134760613@N03/shares/N226B3
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134760613@N03/shares/cMkzTF

Yes I own a lot of Norscot Cat models they remind me of my many good years working for a Cat Dealer. Going out to the back forty after work playing with used equipment just moving dirt around
DeWoc19
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:47:42 PM

For a locomotive it's only going to be 4400hp
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:56:50 PM

Today most Locomotives are AC drive as this engine will be used to drive a generator. Today they range in hp from 3500 to a high of 6000 hp. I believe few are at the top end of the hp scale.

Yes I own a lot of Norscot Cat models they remind me of my many good years working for a Cat Dealer. Going out to the back forty after work playing with used equipment just moving dirt around
KyleS
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:34:08 AM

Cummins Hell Yeah! Wow that is impressive! I do wish it was red though...

I'd rather be Cummin then Strokin...

- Kyle
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:39:14 AM

That's a very impressive engine. Glad there was some positive spinoff from the campaign trail.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:08:59 PM

Biting my tongue to make any political related comments here, us Canadians being so close to elections (next Monday), but nice engine block indeed. Cool

Stephane

Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:26:10 PM

Four years after it's launch with huge marketing dollars behind it, the QSK95 has yet to be installed in any mining machine that I'm aware of and I personally cannot see it happening in the near future. In the marine and power generation markets yes, but not in surface mining. I don't see the excavator manufacturers giving up on the twin engine layout, and it would be millions to re-engineer a truck for this unit.

On a related note; I've read is that Cummins thinks the new QSK120 will be applied to the mining sector. Maybe somebody is designing a new larger haul truck or an excavator to use it?

Time will tell.
max
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:35:08 AM

Is'n it interresting that it is painted pretty much the same color Detroit engines were painted years ago.....??
Very impressive.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
CDN Cat Power
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:51:53 AM

Hi Max

The green colour comes from the original company Onan Generators. The first Onan Generators were built in the 1920's. In 1992 Cummins bought Onan and kept the colour and name as it was well known and respected. Even today many new sets still come with the Cummins Onan name on them but more and more it's just Cummins Generator. Now Cummins engines and generator sets for marine applications are 95% painted white. For emergency fire pumps the colour is red. But if you want a set painted blue and are paying $500,000 for it, you can have any colour you want !! LOL

max
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 12:09:39 AM

CDN Cat Power wrote:
Hi Max

The green colour comes from the original company Onan Generators. The first Onan Generators were built in the 1920's. In 1992 Cummins bought Onan and kept the colour and name as it was well known and respected. Even today many new sets still come with the Cummins Onan name on them but more and more it's just Cummins Generator. Now Cummins engines and generator sets for marine applications are 95% painted white. For emergency fire pumps the colour is red. But if you want a set painted blue and are paying $500,000 for it, you can have any colour you want !! LOL

That makes sense.
Thanks a lot for the info.
Regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.