DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Questions about design of 4100 extender. Options · View
SDBOB
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 11:27:09 AM
Groups: Member

Looking at pics on internet of 4100 extender.Just curious of design and the how and why. Just guessing 'leverage' you give up distance for force.Is my thinking correct?Thanks Bob.
jackrig
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:01:15 AM

I can only make an educated guess but I would think that with the extender you gain extra capacity by taking the load off the tracks / carbody & house of the base machine & shift them out to the " extender " .
By doing this it also means that you can use a larger boom section , due to the space available for the width of the boom foot , therefore more capacity & a larger back mast to handle greater compression loads .

It also means that the base crane has now become the counter weight & has effectively increased the amount of force required to tip the crane forwards , due to the extra leverage , as you said . The capacity limits on the crane would now be structural rather than tipping .

This design also meant that Manitowoc now had a large capacity machine that could travel & swing , a big step forwards for them at the time when they had to compete with the likes of the American Skyhorse .

hope that this helps a bit .

Jack

SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:29:17 PM

Thank you. I'm not an engineer just wondering.Makes sense. I also wondered do the engineers know from math exactly how new designs will work,or do they engineer the crane then experiment with a design until it is perfected,ie safe.Lattice boom cranes always fascinated me.
Paul Crane
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:56:14 AM

Engineers use computer analysis to determine the stresses in every member and joint of a crane to make sure there are no overloads. Load tests are required to confirm that the design of the crane works as intended.
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 10:41:19 PM

Thanks. Before computers? ?
Paul Crane
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 11:12:38 AM

Before computers, they would have to design the crane using hand calculations. But it wouldn't have been quite as thorough. Testing was more critical then. I imagine they would have to build them more stout just to be safe. But I have no evidence to prove it.
SDBOB
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 4:00:39 PM

Thanks.I remember using a slide rule in college. Only can imagine the calculations. Thanks again.