DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Tana E-520 Solid Waste Compactor. Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 8:17:24 PM
Groups: Member

Tana E-520 Solid Waste Compactor.

A little more info here. http://www.tana-na.com/Tana%20Landfill%20Compactors.asp

Tana photos via Flickr . https://www.flickr.com/photos/8388768@N04/sets/72157629495631254/ {Edit} Would someone please fix this link ?

Tana video. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6F4EED3AB451ADE&feature=edit_ok

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:51:56 AM

It's not a terrible design but has issues. The full width drum is nice, but our mechanics took one look at it and said no way. The other issue is that with a drum that wide you're essentially running an LGP machine. The tines may penetrate, but you're potentially not getting the deepest compaction of the machines raw weight in some situations. We run the Bomag 1172's with GPS tracking. (One with the Deutz and one has the Mercedes. It's the only one in North America with the new Mercedes. Not cool when it comes to parts, and Bomag is sourcing a new motor again soon. We'll have a lemon with poor parts availability) The operators have to turn an area red on the display to move past it. The GPS tracks how many passes are done over an area, and it won't reach red till you've reached the minimum. You could argue about time vs. cost with the Tana, but my guess is that you'd have to spend an equal amount of time, or greater, to reach the same compaction density.

My overvalued 2 cents.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:46:21 AM

dirtboy wrote:
It's not a terrible design but has issues. The full width drum is nice, but our mechanics took one look at it and said no way. The other issue is that with a drum that wide you're essentially running an LGP machine. The tines may penetrate, but you're potentially not getting the deepest compaction of the machines raw weight in some situations. We run the Bomag 1172's with GPS tracking. (One with the Deutz and one has the Mercedes. It's the only one in North America with the new Mercedes. Not cool when it comes to parts, and Bomag is sourcing a new motor again soon. We'll have a lemon with poor parts availability) The operators have to turn an area red on the display to move past it. The GPS tracks how many passes are done over an area, and it won't reach red till you've reached the minimum. You could argue about time vs. cost with the Tana, but my guess is that you'd have to spend an equal amount of time, or greater, to reach the same compaction density.

My overvalued 2 cents.

Have nothing but good things to say about Deutz engines. My old 2005 Freightliner grapple truck had a Mercedes engine. Had no problems with anything on the truck or parts in America. Some of these Tana compactors are equipped with Caterpillar engines. Also I didn't think the Tana vs Bomag video was very fair. Sounded like Tana was the best one could get,but 15% more compaction isn't that much.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Gd10r
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:40:15 PM

Why not the standard 836H 826H machines? or are you constrained by low bid situation?

Still Plays with Toys
dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:30:15 PM

While the Deutz may be a good engine, the marriage between Deutz and Bomag was less than stellar. Not sure if it was corporate politics, but the divorce was messy, and each walked away pretty bitter by the sounds of it. The problem is that I'm pretty sure we have the only 1172R Bomag in North America with the new Mercedes in it. Parts come from overseas, and because it's a new combo, they may not have produced parts for them yet. (This is evident by a recent backing accident, where the machine sat idle for just shy of a month waiting on parts. We run two compactors and a dozer full time so this put us in a bad spot.) We sell off our machines at about the 30-36 month mark, so it may not be an issue. But from a resale standpoint, not many people want a machine they could have trouble getting parts for.

15% is quite a lot actually. If your landfill at max capacity had a net value of $100 million in tipping fees, you could bank an extra $10.5 million just with additional compaction. Same thing goes with use of daily cover. If you're covering with 12" of dirt instead of 6", that's wasted space, which is wasted money. But...I think that the Tana's claim of an additional 15% would only reach that in ideal conditions. Toss in some 12x12 timbers, solidified concrete, reeves of plastic, or telephone poles and the effectiveness would diminish. It's not always diapers and banana peels you're crushing. I think the drum would "bridge" and gap over areas if it wasn't perfectly flat, thus reducing your effective compaction rate. If you've got the facilities separating the construction demo and recycling it would improve, but I think 15% seems steep.

We aren't always constricted by low bid Graham. Everyone from the operators, to mechanics, to the bean counters get a say in what we buy. We had Cats years ago, but the guys got tired of cutting out wire and mattresses from the wheels of basically a loader with compactor wheels on it. Cat's come a long ways since then, but the Bomag comes purpose built with a smooth bottom, and full set of cutters and striker bars. Not that Cat doesn't offer that, but in the bid they offered a base package and then a lot of "add on's" that were standard on the Bomag. We had the first 121,000 Bomag in North America with Caron wheels on it at the time. It seemed to work well for us, so we continue to buy them. It was pretty close to a Cat this time, but Bomag made a solid bid and our mechanics like them. Time will tell with this new one.

Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:46:25 PM

dirtboy wrote:
The problem is that I'm pretty sure we have the only 1172R Bomag in North America with the new Mercedes in it. Parts come from overseas, and because it's a new combo, they may not have produced parts for them yet.

Your Local MTU/Detroit Diesel distributor should be able to get Mercedes parts. Mercedes engines are quite popular in Cranes, and other pieces of equipment.

Deutz engines are good too, especially the ones that are air cooled.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

dirtboy
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:04:11 AM

Cat345bl wrote:
dirtboy wrote:
The problem is that I'm pretty sure we have the only 1172R Bomag in North America with the new Mercedes in it. Parts come from overseas, and because it's a new combo, they may not have produced parts for them yet.

Your Local MTU/Detroit Diesel distributor should be able to get Mercedes parts. Mercedes engines are quite popular in Cranes, and other pieces of equipment.

Deutz engines are good too, especially the ones that are air cooled.

For basic engine rebuilds and such it's not an issue, but the overall big picture. We've got the only machine with this power plant, and if fittings, exhaust, or other machine/engine combo break, we may have trouble getting parts. (As was already an issue) It's not anything against Mercedes or Deutz, but a sourcing issue if things go wrong. Hopefully Bomag will stick with this power plant and sell a few more 1172's.

gbarnewall
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:57:24 AM

Sounds like whoever was over purchasing equipment didn't do their home work,slotting a machine into such a vital roll when there is no support with engine parts is asking for trouble,hopefully they can update their parts support as this could damage sales,

Recycling here in Ireland is not quite on a par with some mainland european countries but there are still tight guide lines and laws in place,only recently landfills have refused to accept mattresses,below 10% of C&I C&D waste goes to land fill,and a huge percentage of this is shredded or sized so it would be rare to see large objects make it to landfill,this is perhaps why the Tana has the full width drums,land fill waste in Europe should be of a uniform size

We had two Al-Jon compactors in our land fill,this has since been filled and shut,anybody have anything to say on the Al-Jon machines? I heard very little,I think they had John deere engines?

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Greasemonkey
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:35:51 PM

dirtboy wrote:
For basic engine rebuilds and such it's not an issue, but the overall big picture. We've got the only machine with this power plant, and if fittings, exhaust, or other machine/engine combo break, we may have trouble getting parts. (As was already an issue) It's not anything against Mercedes or Deutz, but a sourcing issue if things go wrong. Hopefully Bomag will stick with this power plant and sell a few more 1172's.

A company I used to work for bought a used Bomag trash compactor out of Europe and shipped it over to used for highway construction. We had nothing but grief withe the drive system on it, and were in pretty much the same boat for getting parts. They actually had to make parts for it at one point as they had no spares left. The bad part was, the container they were shipped in "disappeared" and they had to make more. It turned out we had it parked inside the shop for 3 months with no way to move it out. The welder actually welded hooks on the side of it so it would at least be useful for something while it sat there........lol.
Dex
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:22:16 PM

I work for Environmental Services here in San Diego, and most all of our landfill equipment including our 836s are leased from a Cat dealer. Regular periodic maintenance is all part of lease on proven equipment. If something breaks and requires big repairs the dealer runs out a loaner asap. It's a hard deal to pass up. I think we ran a Bomag for a trial a few years ago, but said no thanks. We use cat for our 720 Water wagon, scrapers, and dozers, all leases except for an older D6h that is in excellent shape.
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:23:39 PM

dirtboy wrote:

There should be some type of commitment from the dealer you got it from for stocking parts for it being the only machine of its kind in the States before closing the purchase. If the dealer would not commit, I would look elsewhere.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

dirtboy
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:43:44 PM

There wasn't an issue at the time with Bomag running Mercedes, but in the last few months there's been rumors that they'll be changing power plants again. That information wasn't known when we signed on the line. We've still had a good run with the Bomag's and they've treated us pretty well for the most part.

Cat makes some nice products. We've got a few 627's, a pair of D6T's (Tier 3 and 4), a 140 grader, and a D9R. Now and then we borrow a 330 from another department if we need a smaller hoe. But we don't spend a lot with Caterpillar, so I would say our support is marginal at times. Kind of like 6 months ago, when we bought a brand new D6T fully outfitted with a Waste Handler package. I'll spare you all the common rant about Tier 4, but because of the newer, tighter confines, the engine compartment handles are not recessed anymore and stick out. And when one of your operators...who is looking backwards as he's backing up......and a mattress happens to pull through the tracks, hook that handle and tear the door off.....you've got problems. We waited 3 weeks for a new door, because Cat hadn't manufactured that part yet. A big company like Caterpillar, with a flagship model like the D6T, you'd expect them to be on top of it. No replacement machine was offered the whole three weeks it sat. Don't get me wrong...I love Cat, but unless you're buying machines in bulk from them, you get marginal treatment.

dirtboy
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:47:32 PM

Greasemonkey wrote:
dirtboy wrote:

A company I used to work for bought a used Bomag trash compactor out of Europe and shipped it over to used for highway construction. We had nothing but grief withe the drive system on it, and were in pretty much the same boat for getting parts. They actually had to make parts for it at one point as they had no spares left. The bad part was, the container they were shipped in "disappeared" and they had to make more. It turned out we had it parked inside the shop for 3 months with no way to move it out. The welder actually welded hooks on the side of it so it would at least be useful for something while it sat there........lol.

LOL

GC1
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 2:31:23 AM

This is a great thread...thanks one and all...great info, comments and insight.