DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Caterpillar Paint Old Vs New Caterpillar Yellow. Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 3:36:12 PM
Groups: Member

I have a 1:87 Caterpillar project I'm working on & just about finished with it. Had to wait while paint was on the way. I tried finding Caterpillar paint to match the model to no avail . My Wife goes on the internet,looks for three minutes,finds the exact paint I searched for to begin with.

After doing a fairly extensive search on Caterpillar yellow. Reading on line forums on the subject. I found no two Caterpllar paints are alike much-less match the paint on the model.

My wife found a company Industrial Touch Ups that mix their own Caterpillar Yellow. Both old & New colors.

Caterpillar 94876

Caterpillar 45982

Dunno which one is old or new. Testing both on white backed card stock,then have her match the colors up to my model to see which one matches the closest .

Will share the model as soon as paint drys. Wish me luck...

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 7:55:09 AM

Didn't match at all. Disappointed...

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 7:56:27 AM

Didn't match at all. Disappointed...

-Unknown

RMS Models
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 9:18:45 AM

FiatAllisHD41,

Not uncommon, not sure what model manufacturer you are dealing with, however, if you place enough Norscot models together, you will notice several shades of "Caterpillar Yellow". Doubt the model manufacturers utilize "official" Caterpillar paint, therefore matching is almost impossible without mixing your own. Best bet is to re-paint the entire model.
Dex
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:45:36 PM

I found a can online that was listed as Caterpillar yellow, but turned out to be old Caterpillar yellow. I'll post it this evening when I get home.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 1:31:30 PM

RMS Models wrote:
FiatAllisHD41,

Not uncommon, not sure what model manufacturer you are dealing with, however, if you place enough Norscot models together, you will notice several shades of "Caterpillar Yellow". Doubt the model manufacturers utilize "official" Caterpillar paint, therefore matching is almost impossible without mixing your own. Best bet is to re-paint the entire model.

Chinese manufacturer. Yeah,should have stripped the whole model,then painted. I painted a cab riser that I made for a Caterpillar 350 MH . Didn't match for flip. Guess I'll paint it black,it's for my collection anyway.

Thanks for chiming in anyway.

-Unknown

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 1:33:39 PM

Dex wrote:
I found a can online that was listed as Caterpillar yellow, but turned out to be old Caterpillar yellow. I'll post it this evening when I get home.

Stephen ,

Thank you. I painted this cab riser three times. Frustrated now ! Going to paint the darn thing flat black like I started off with.

-Unknown

kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 1:58:10 PM

I use Caterpillar primer and touch up paint in spray cans. It matches the Norscot Cat 963, 336, 323, D6K, and D6T very close if not spot on. I still have old color Hiway Yellow, but it does not match CCM or Norscot at all. I had to have that mixed. I was told by the Cat paint department that when lead was required to be removed from paint, they removed it from the old color and that's how they came up with the mustard yellow color they use now. Cat is completely out of the Highway Yellow in cans, and was only available in gallon amounts.Think Ken

Here are the part numbers: Yellow Primer 4C-4205, Yellow 4C-4200, Black 4C-6843, Mohave Brown 4C-4202 (for the interiors), and Hiway Yellow 206-6417
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 4:04:23 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
I use Caterpillar primer and touch up paint in spray cans. It matches the Norscot Cat 963, 336, 323, D6K, and D6T very close if not spot on. I still have old color Hiway Yellow, but it does not match CCM or Norscot at all. I had to have that mixed. I was told by the Cat paint department that when lead was required to be removed from paint, they removed it from the old color and that's how they came up with the mustard yellow color they use now. Cat is completely out of the Highway Yellow in cans, and was only available in gallon amounts.Think Ken

Here are the part numbers: Yellow Primer 4C-4205, Yellow 4C-4200, Black 4C-6843, Mohave Brown 4C-4202 (for the interiors), and Hiway Yellow 206-6417

Thank you.

-Unknown

Diecastmania
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 12:41:13 AM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
RMS Models wrote:
FiatAllisHD41,

Chinese manufacturer. Yeah,should have stripped the whole model,then painted. I painted a cab riser that I made for a Caterpillar 350 MH . Didn't match for flip. Guess I'll paint it black,it's for my collection anyway.

Thanks for chiming in anyway.

I'm having the same dilemma finding paint for my 1:50 CAT 350 custom...

- Joe
Dex
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 4:51:06 PM

Ok, so here's what I have used so far, and I've placed some common models next to test cars so you can see the differences. I preface this with what I've been told by the Cat dealer (everybody has a different version of this story btw)... Cat first changed from old Cat yellow to new Cat yellow some time in the late 70's (he said 78). The yellow remained unchanged until the early 2000's when the formula was updated and the result was juuuuust slightly brighter, to the untrained eye, you really can't tell the difference.

Caterpillar yellow from the dealer, Krylon "New Caterpillar" yellow, and Rustolium "Caterpillar Yellow" which is actually old Cat yellow.

The Krylon paint is the oldball of the bunch. Doesn't really match anything, but, it was the closest to the yellow NZG used. Definitely that 90's cat yellow. It needs to be buffed as it finishes poorly out of the can, but would be great for somebody trying to do weathered yellow.

Rustoleum's Cat yellow. Very close to the NZG and CCM old Cat yellow.

Codes for reference:

Purchased from ebay. Good uniform spray, seems to cure nicely. Can't speak for the final quality as I haven't used it on a model.

Purchased from ebay. More of a faded yellow, must be buffed with Micromesh polishing or at a minimum a microfiber cloth. Thin spray/light layers. Can't speak for the final quality as I haven't used it on a model.

Purchased off the shelf from local Cat dealer. If you can get it, this stuff is the best. The quality is really good, and you can get 2 full models out of one can. Sprays thick, needs at least a week to cure. Good wet coats don't need polishing. Must use primer.

Hope this helps!

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 8:26:39 PM

Thank you Stephen !

-Unknown