DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

NEW LOAD BLOCK FOR MY CRANES Options · View
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:11:48 AM

Groups: Member

I have been monitoring the DHS site for a YCC 250-2 25 ton load block that always seemed to be out of stock. The other day, it was finally in stock so, I ordered it. The description did not say what scale it was so I assumed it was 1:50. When I got it, I was very surprised that it was considerably smaller than I thought it was going to be. The only crane in my collection that I could put it on was my Bucyrus Erie crane. The block needed some modification to allow rope to be reeved through it. I took it apart and enlarged the spaces between the sheaves and the body of the block. I reassembled it and rigged it on the crane, It looks really nice and, at 25 tons, it's not too large for the little crane.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
eef7260
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 6:24:08 AM

Hi RI CRANEMAN

It looks real good on the little 22 RB , it looks like you have a bit load block fetish Teeth
Don't worry you are not the only one.

If you are looking for something bigger i have something that might interested you.
Did some hooks in 3D print , 165 Johnson , 2 types of the 250 tons McKissick and an 20T McKissick Headache Ball.
They are printed as one solid piece so no rotating shaves but the wires slide over the shaves.
Did this because i could design them as close to reality as possible , so good looks less good function.
Because of the weight of the material they need a bit of a load to keep the lines on some tension.
If you want to play with your crane these are not very suitable but if you like the look it might be interesting for you.
Have a look here for the load blocks : 3 D printed load blocks

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

dain555
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 11:39:46 AM

RI, I got one just like that only in red with white stripes. I had to do the same thing with mine, pull it apart, file it so the sheaves worked, clean up the shive sides and put it back together. I also used a touch of Wahl hair trimmer oil for some lube. I wound up doing one thing different though, I had to drill and tap the spindle for a 00-90 bolt to hold the side on as you really can't glue it after all the work done. I use mine either on my Liebherr 1045-3.1 or my Terex RC45, the smallest cranes I have to use them on.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 5:02:25 PM

Hi Eef, Your load blocks are very nice. I really like the Johnson block. Are your blocks painted or is that the natural color of the resin? I scratch built some load blocks last year from small pulleys that were used for a bamboo sun shade !! I think the hardest part of fabricating the blocks is getting the correct shape of the hook. I wouldn't mind having a few 3D generated hooks both for blocks and for chain and cable slings.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
eef7260
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 5:30:39 PM

Hi RI CRANEMAN

Quote:
Are your blocks painted or is that the natural color of the resin?

No they are spray-painted quite thick because the basic material is a bit rough structure.
It is not the easiest material to put a decent layer of paint on but it's the cheapest and strongest material at Shapeways.
Quote:
I really like the Johnson block

At the moment I am drawing some more Johnson blocks , next in line will be a 100 ton 3 shaeve.
Quote:
I wouldn't mind having a few 3D generated hooks both for blocks and for chain and cable slings

I keep that in mind , i am not gone make promises but do you have a particular model in mind for chain and cable slings ??

Eef

RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 3:22:26 PM

I would like to see clevis type slip and grab hooks for chain slings and, eye type for cable slings. The problem becomes one of scale. I have looked at type 100 alloy hooks rated at 19,000 lbs that are only 8" long. This scales at less than 1/4" long!!

Can the 20T headache ball that you drew be drawn so that the hook is separate ? That way, the hook could move a little.

I would also like to see you draw some thimbles and swedges for wire rope. I have tried to make these in the past but, it is tedious and time consuming. They scale at less that 1/8" long.

Perhaps you could give the members a short tutorial on how you draw in 3D and how you interact with Shapeways.

eef7260
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:05:22 PM

Hi RI CRANEMAN

First step i need to explain is the choice of material and the limitations.

material 1 = White strong and flexible , i use this a lot for 2 reasons , it's strong and it's relative cheap.
Big limitation is the resolution of the printed material ( quality of detail and how small parts can be ) i am designing here on the edge of the specifications.

material 2 = Frosted Detail Plastic , i use this sometimes for myself if some parts need high detail levels.
Big disadvantage it is far from strong , so not so handy for crane hooks and related parts.
If i would make models for sale from this material i think some people will be disappointed with results in terms of strength.

Some interesting reading here : Materials shapeways

The above answers your other questions : the clevis type slip and grab hooks can only be printed from Mat 2 but would be very fragile.
Maybe ok for personal use but i am not gone put them online for selling.

Quote:
Can the 20T headache ball that you drew be drawn so that the hook is separate ? That way, the hook could move a little.

Bit of the same story , by using Frosted Detail Plastic i could be done , but again i will not sell them for reasons named before.
Design wise it's no problem , have a look at the picture.
At the moment there are limitations in 3D printing that we scale modelers don't like , but it is developing very quickly.
So what we want is almost there , i think in another 3 or 4 years resolution and materials will be better and closer to what we want.

Quote:
Perhaps you could give the members a short tutorial on how you draw in 3D and how you interact with Shapeways.

More and better than i could do : 3D Printing & Design Tutorials

Quote:
I would also like to see you draw some thimbles and swedges for wire rope

I will give that a try for you , but for now not make it public for sale , so that must be something that you are a sort of beta tester for that type of print.
If you are interested drop me a PM

Hope this whole story make some sense , it's not always easy to express yourself properly in other language.

PS have you seen the 100T Johnson ?? , no real picture available because it's not printed yet only digital renders.

Eef

CAT420
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:20:40 PM

Eef,

Can you not print in high definition resin? Also what program do you use for design? Personally I use solid works
eef7260
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:29:36 AM

Hi Cat420

Yes i do sometimes print in high definition resin for personal use , problem is Shapeways does not sell this.
But Shapeways has this nice option to create a sort of a web shop to sell your products to others , and other company's don't.
I can figure out why they don't sell high definition resin because it's labor intensive to remove the support.
But you are right high definition resin is closer to our needs although strength can be a bit of a problem.
For drawing i use autodesk inventor.