DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Casting resin question ? Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:30:40 AM
Groups: Member

I'm in need of high strength \break resistant casting resin for bridge crane girders. If I were to brush up against them,I need them not to break.

Plastic like preferred. What brand can you recommend ?

How is the micro mark casting resin vs smooth on ?

Thank you.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Cat336EL
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:52:21 AM

If I were you, I would honesty draw the beam in cad or in make the model out of styrene and scan it with a 3D scanner, then send it to a company like Shapeways. Then you can get multiple, or have a back-up file in case your resin mold breaks. Hope that helps even though it's a bit off topic! Lol

...Dylan

My Instagram: Cat330DL_Man
hummer13
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:28:29 AM

Do not buy micro mark its just smooth on stuff at higher prices. Just buy firect from them. Lucky for me i have them local here, they have tons of different types of resin. You can buy some resin that is very strong you would have trouble breaking it. Problem is how you are doing the resin...pressure casting is your best method for a air free model.

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:49:02 PM

Cat336EL wrote:
If I were you, I would honesty draw the beam in cad or in make the model out of styrene and scan it with a 3D scanner, then send it to a company like Shapeways. Then you can get multiple, or have a back-up file in case your resin mold breaks. Hope that helps even though it's a bit off topic! Lol

Old school builder. No access to 3D scanner. Scratch building bridge crane girders from styrene,make mold,cast girders for project. Thanks for the thoughts.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:52:27 PM

hummer13 wrote:
Do not buy micro mark its just smooth on stuff at higher prices. Just buy firect from them. Lucky for me i have them local here, they have tons of different types of resin. You can buy some resin that is very strong you would have trouble breaking it. Problem is how you are doing the resin...pressure casting is your best method for a air free model.

Smooth on it is. Still learning before I make a production mold. Will learn more about pressure casting. Thank you !

-Unknown

Greasemonkey
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:41:01 PM

The best resin for your application is probably going to be Smooth Cast 321. It's a low viscosity resin that's inexpensive, easy to use, and doesn't tend to trap as many bubbles as some of the other formulas they have. I have used it a lot, and it's strong and somewhat flexible.

Brian
hummer13
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:01:23 AM

I use the 321 with a 7 minute kick time, you need that time to pour and get it into the pressure pot. Remeber if you pressure cast you need to pressure cure your mold

Nikl Scale Models
Dex
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 4:27:40 PM

hummer13 wrote:
I use the 321 with a 7 minute kick time, you need that time to pour and get it into the pressure pot. Remeber if you pressure cast you need to pressure cure your mold

Do you still need to vacuum chamber the resin if you're using a pressure pot?
hummer13
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:11:38 AM

No need to vacuum if pressure casting,

Nikl Scale Models