DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

NYC crane collapse. Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 11:27:02 PM

Groups: Member

This seems to be happening much too often. So sad for all involved. This job has to be more dangerous than almost any job on earth, including those Bering Sea fishermen, and coal miners. I hope they make a huge salary for their risks. I applaud all of them. CAW
digggerr
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 11:32:04 PM

I've seen cranes that fell forward, but think this is the first time I've ever seen one drop so fast as to flip the base unit completely upside down. Wow!
gbarnewall
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 11:55:23 PM

The counter weights looked to be secured to each other,instead of resting as a stack,instead of falling off one by one as the carbody over rotated like we see in other failures,the secured stack pulled the carbody over forwards completely after the boom came to rest with the carbody at close to 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground , if the weights were loose the operator could sadly have lost his life too

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

DafgekCanada
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 11:59:54 PM

Thanks for the add DC craneman. Hopefully this crane was equipped with the Data logger from liebherr and should give some info to it. Like you said if the crane went out of chart just by a wind gust, then is really is an act of god.

Mammoet- Size does Matter.

Dafgek
BladeCrane
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 1:31:22 AM

nothing is allowed a voice happens //////Dafgek statement said it all... do not speculate untill the the facts are in and get off the face crack ##1///////
DafgekCanada
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 1:50:32 AM

BladeCrane wrote:
nothing is allowed a voice happens //////Dafgek statement said it all... do not speculate untill the the facts are in and get off the face crack ##1///////

Thank you for that comment. If you look at all the Facebook statements, operator err is the number 1 answer that everyone goes to. It is not always the case. If you look at the crane accident that happend in Holland last August, everyone is blaming operator err while they dont ever know what actually happen.

Mammoet- Size does Matter.

Dafgek
BladeCrane
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 2:26:01 AM

the barge incccindent holland should of had leggs not to name what they are but the crawler is bad
Brett G
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 8:27:38 AM

You can't just luff the main boom down without luffing the luffer down first. Inexperienced operator

R.I.P to the lost life.

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

SDBOB
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 11:39:14 AM

RIP.
Save1er
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 4:39:32 PM

R.I.P. to the man who was killed by this accident.
JoeE
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:39:37 PM

Brett G wrote:
You can't just luff the main boom down without luffing the luffer down first. Inexperienced operator

R.I.P to the lost life.

You shouldn't talk out your arse so much. Just sayin.

"A 40-mph Tribeca wind gust is the likely cause in the deadly toppling of a 330-ton crane, with investigators crediting its operator for saving lives in the wreck, sources said.

Construction worker Kevin Reilly was hailed for his efforts to steer the falling crane into the street rather than let the 565-foot piece of equipment slam into nearby buildings, said sources familiar with the ongoing investigation.

Reilly, 56, managed to land the crane on Worth Street — where a financial services firm worker was killed as he walked to work about 8:30 a.m. Friday"

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
sd90
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:56:15 AM

I am a old rigger and dog man retired now ,and have seen a few big cranes go down in my time
and looking at the pictures the crane driver did a great job on a contolled drop of the jib.
And stayed with the machine many people would have bailed out.
Sorry for the people killed and God bless them.
Leon.
Cat 966f
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 5:59:31 AM

jr3264
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 11:28:02 AM

Thanks for sharing Vinny. Have you been watching the clean=up?
Greasemonkey
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 5:49:24 PM

KyleS wrote:

The person in the black car (BMW) did not live, RIP. 2 buildings were hit in the fall. 2-3 people were injured seriously with non life threatening injuries. They were attempting to secure the crane and the permits for extending the crane were only given yesterday.

The fatality was a pedestrian, not anyone in a car.
P&HFrictionlattice
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 6:42:10 PM

It truly amazes me on some peoples comments when they see a crane accident & really have no idea what went on or for that matter how many things work on cranes expect for what they learn from reading & watching crane videos !! Kyle S your comment on you cannot believe Bay Crane would let something like this happen just amazes me !!! Bay Crane has no control of the weather & as unfortunate as these accidents are they do happen when dealing with such machinery . It is very sad that someone died but if in fact it's true about the operator riding it out & saving several lives that's fantastic on his part because far to often you see the operators as the firsts ones running from the machine when a accident happens & when we choose to be an operator the first choice your making is that you will save everyone else & then yourself !!!!
GC1
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 8:03:56 PM

I don't believe anyone on this Forum should make any other comment re any accident(even if they were actually there...because then it would be unethical), only a condolence related one.....the subsequent investigation will determine what happened, not any internet Forum...period. We are and have all been guilty over the years...time to make our(Chucks) Forum a tad more professional. Then it has a great future for all involved.
KyleS
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 12:37:16 AM

Greasemonkey wrote:
KyleS wrote:

The person in the black car (BMW) did not live, RIP. 2 buildings were hit in the fall. 2-3 people were injured seriously with non life threatening injuries. They were attempting to secure the crane and the permits for extending the crane were only given yesterday.

The fatality was a pedestrian, not anyone in a car.

The original news cast said it was someone in a car. That is why I said that. Obviously as the news/media gets more/correct information things will change.

P&H my comment was saying "I can't believe Bay Crane would allow something like this to happen" was more based on the shock that the accident was with a Bay Crane unit and the original assumptions media made that it was an operator or equipment error. I work for a very safety conscious company and believing that Bay Crane is equally as safety conscious led me to thinking that a project this massive would be under such scrutiny that everything would be checked, double checked and triple checked and if there was any chance of weather being close to dangerous the project would have been postponed.

I am by no means an engineer and I know nothing about cranes, this is just my opinion based on safety policies and protocols that we instill where I work that are more common sense.

I credit the crane operator for doing everything he could and saving the lives of many more people based on how he dropped the crane in the road vs it hitting a building. He is a hero and I never assumed that he ran and saved himself.

- Kyle
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 12:53:43 AM

What if the crane operator is the cause of the accident AND the hero?!?

:-0

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
D5G
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 1:57:31 AM

GC1 wrote:
I don't believe anyone on this Forum should make any other comment re any accident(even if they were actually there...because then it would be unethical), only a condolence related one.....the subsequent investigation will determine what happened, not any internet Forum...period. We are and have all been guilty over the years...time to make our(Chucks) Forum a tad more professional. Then it has a great future for all involved.

You are obviously not too familiar with freedom of speech. While I do not disagree with your comments, we in America have people waiting at the turn of every corner to speak their mind of any and every issue imaginable. The American news media (like them or not) pays people in all different occupations to literally be on standby 24/7 to throw their opinions out there whether it's a construction accident or a mass shooting. These people many of times have no business spouting off about these different subjects especially when they were not there to witness the events either, but it's just how things are done here. But at the end of the day whether it's a popular position or not people are going to speak their minds. We here in America have the right to do so regardless of anyone else's opinion. I have plenty of thoughts and theories about this very situation too, but I will keep them to myself because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings......

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread