DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Diecast Masters 335F Options · View
dirtboy
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:40:51 PM
Groups: Member

I've always been a big fan of 1st Gear models as I thought they offered a great amount of detail for a reasonable price in a model. After getting my 335F from Diecast Masters, I'd have to say I feel the same. They seem to be offering nicely detailed models for a decent price, with a lot of nice features we all look for. I wasn't a big fan of the figurine and blade so I ordered mine without them. Still a sharp looking model that will look incredible with a new attachment or boom setup.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 1:30:26 AM

Love it! Applause Liar
logmax7000
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 1:33:57 PM

There is one working right down the road from me. I'll post some pictures of it.
Campmb
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 2:04:34 PM

Doesn't look too bad! Logmax 7000, see if you can get some close ups of the hydro lines on the back of the boom etc. I would appreciate it if you could. When I get one I'd like to customize it. Thanks. Mike
logmax7000
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 2:59:55 PM

Campmb wrote:
Doesn't look too bad! Logmax 7000, see if you can get some close ups of the hydro lines on the back of the boom etc. I would appreciate it if you could. When I get one I'd like to customize it. Thanks. Mike

OK, I'll go down there when I can. Smile
The Contractor
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 11:21:12 PM

As nice as the model looks so far....has anyone noticed that they did not include the "CR" designation on the model......It is just marked as 335F L.......this is disappointing as the model was correct when they originally announced it at the Toy Fair back in February and it showed the proper markings "335F LCR. I don't know how this was overlooked or got passed quality control. I guess no model can be perfect or have every inclusion as the real product. Just my two cents.......
gstoddard
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:47:03 AM

Actually I've read somewhere that Cat is dropping the CR designation and removing letters from a lot of their models.
The Contractor
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:51:01 PM

gstoddard wrote:
Actually I've read somewhere that Cat is dropping the CR designation and removing letters from a lot of their models.

Silenced I stand corrected as it appears that CAT has dropped the "CR" nomenclature on this excavator as the 325FL also has no "CR" according to CAT.COM

Maybe that explains why the 390FL also had no "ME" markings.

Cat22Fan
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:40:39 PM

Had a couple of deliveries come in today:

I am terrible with the camera, sorry for ones that are a little blurry. Fixed the Cat 335 F, cut the nubs off and touched them up with Cat paint. Looks so much better now that the the stick folds down like they should for transport.
hummer13
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:57:26 AM

Very nice model, first thing i did was get that stupid figure out of the cab and then drill out the bucket rivets.

Sand bucket

Paddle tooth digging bucket

Chuck blade

I put my 336d coupler on for a test. So all of my 336 buckets will fit. But i will do a new coupler to fit the 335 and have a full line of attachments

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Boss09
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:57:03 PM

Jason,

My 335 has not shown up yet, but I also will want to remove the operator...... How did you get it out?
modelmaniac
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:05:07 PM

If it is built the same way as the 390s.The cab is probably removable,usually with a screw.Giving ample access to the driver.Very easy.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:59:05 PM

Put a D series quick coupler on mine because I ordered some attachments from Jason's Shapeways store and I have some existing attachments too that for the coupler. I also filed off the nubs that prevented the stick from moving as close as it can get to the machine. I guess for the time being I'll keep the guy in there and I like the looks of the blade.

I actually picked up two of these so maybe some plans for the other one too Teeth

Colbe
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:24:23 PM

How did you guys get the stopper off? I can see them but don't know how to do it in a safe way lol
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:10:27 PM

Colbe wrote:
How did you guys get the stopper off? I can see them but don't know how to do it in a safe way lol

File, file, file, file, file, file...oh file some more!! Or if you're feeling ambitious, pop the rivet out that holds the stick to the boom and buzz it with a Dremel.
Cat22Fan
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:05:06 PM

Colbe, I took the smallest drill bit I could find and drilled them out. Then I used some modeling files, very small, flat thin or rounded files to like kokosing Const Co said, file, file, file, and file some more. Then I used some of the new Cat yellow paint and touched them up. I wish I had enough nerve to take the model apart and pull Bob out, probably save that for a rainy day.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 1:49:00 AM

What Jonathan said about the file to go with it, I used a small round file (little handy set from harbor freight for $5) and it fit in between the boom and hydraulic ram that connects the boom and stick. After a while I was able to get the rectangular shaped file in the to square off the nubs so the stick wouldn't rub and take the paint off the stick.

Best I can say if you don't take it apart just take your time, you don't want to accidentally file off anymore paint or scrape along the hydraulic ram either.
JTL
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 11:58:02 PM

Did I see somewhere that DM will release a 335 with a thumb, or are they only offering the thumb on the new 323?

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
heavyload
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 7:18:20 PM

Just the 323 will have the thumb. Those models were started by Tonkin early 2015.

Luc.
maxcavator
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 8:11:35 PM

For those of you thinking about removing the figure here are some tips.
1. You have to remove the tracks, 4 screws along the bottom, and then the pivot screw.
2. Once you separate the tracks, you will see 3 screws inside the pivot well. Leave the two screws that are directly opposite to each other and remove the one off by itself at an odd angle ( it holds the cab from below) It lines up with the side of the cab on the top
3. Remove the screw closest to the cat logo at the back in the middle of the model. Leave the two screws to the left and right of this crew on, those hold a metal counter weight that can stay on.
4. Remove the screw closest to the CAT 335F logo
5. Remove the screw by the access ladder.
6. So now you should have 2 screws in the pivot well and two screws on the bottom of the model still there.

The front corner where the access ladder is, was glued with superglue so you have to work the body to get it to release. It took some effort and a little prying with a flat head screw driver. Once you pop the body off, just remove the screw holding the back of the cab. You will most likely remove the seat and figure, it's on good. I used a blade to wedge it behind the figure and the seat to get it to release. The hands are glued to the control levers so look out for that. I used black paint to cover the left over figure paint left on the seat and levers.

Now, on my model the super glue made it very hard to press the model back together. I removed all of it with a sharp blade and scraped off some of the paint on the side, it won't be visible once the parts are put back together.

Good luck!