DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Liberty Bridge Rehab,Then Fire Closed Indefinitely Options · View
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:11:03 PM
Groups: Member

Friday 2 weeks ago,a workman was using a torch that let sparks ignite tarps that caught plastic pipe,I heard used for wiring maybe electrical conduit on fire.The fire was severe enough to warp a compression beam.J. B. FAY is the prime. They were supposed to have bridge reopened this past Monday. Closed indrfinitely.They need to jack bridge to install new beam. We are wondering exactly what is or has happened. www.liberty bridge. com.They are saying if fireman hadn't put out fire as quickly,bridge would have collapsed.Any you guys have knowledge have what could have happened?
todd s
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:23:22 PM

We drove by it coming back from lunch. My coworker video taped it as we drove across the 10th street bridge. The video then got picked up by the news and was all over the place.
todd s
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:25:33 PM

I don't though know what exactly your question is. The tarps and stuff caught on fire and the heat warped the thin steel.
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:22:05 AM

I'm not an engineer. I would think once one beam is deformed then some where else something,beam,etc,will move.It doesn't seem to be an easy fix.Sure there is movement at beam where fire was most intense,shows bent on one pic.However I would think in a truss everything,beams rely on each other to transmit load to ground supports.That was my idea for my question.
321DLCR
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:17:05 PM

The way trusses work if one member failed the rest of the structure is at risk. More recent trusses have redundant members to prevent failure