DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1/50 Manitowoc MLC650 final sample photos Options · View
cranedude07
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 1:31:32 AM

Groups: Member

A few weeks ago, i was invited up to Wisconsin to check out the new mlc650 model before it heads back to the factory to start production. so i took the trip up over the weekend. I got to meet Milo finally and Charles, from Weiss Brothers, and meet up with ben again. It was pretty cool to see their new shop and meet them in person, very nice, funny guys!
They let me drool over the model a while and take as many photos as I wanted. So here you guys go, if you haven't already, id suggest ordering one now. This is one awesome model! Id say it rank right up there with the lr1600, if not better. now being the only mlc650 model/prototype sample, i didn't want to mess around with it too much and break something, but i did get a feel for the vpc. and it works very smoothly! It does have LOCKING DRUMS, metal walkways, ladders, handrails, pulleys, pendants. The string used seems very nice, a lot better than the old TWH thread. EVERYTHING BREAKS DOWN for loads/transport. It also has lifting lugs on the boom sections so they can be lifted, using the weiss bros lifting kits! And since everything can break down, it can be configured in just about any setup possible. Not all of the walkways around the house were on at the time, also 1 pendant wasn't on the luffer so the mast angle looks wrong in the photos, it also has cover plates that clip on over the drum key holes.
It is also a good amount of model your getting for the price, it stands at 84 inches (7ft) tall! anyways, ill let the photos explain themselves.

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Crazy797
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 11:58:29 AM

What is the big ringer that is getting made in the back ground and what scale is it ???? It is gonna be big !!!!

Pat
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 1:36:43 PM

Brandon, did they say that the project is on schedule and, that delivery is still promised for the spring of 2017? I would rather have one FIRM date than a bunch of missed promises.

Is the paint as good as TWH models?

You said that the rope is better than TWH. Is it braided or something else? I can still see a considerable amount of twist on the load block line.

Is the sheave spacing on the crane and the load block tight enough to prevent the rope from jumping off?

Could you tell us something about that GIANT ringer in the background? Thanks for the excellent photos !!!!! Tom

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
hummer13
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 1:40:30 PM

Guess my invite got lost in the mail? Crane looks awesome

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
CAT Tech
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 3:33:32 PM

That looks awesome!
Don L
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 6:11:24 PM

Wow!! That MLC 650 is easily the most impressive, highest quality, and most detailed model crane I have ever seen (NZG 1600 not withstanding)!!!

That said, it also looks like one of the most intimidating cranes to assemble that I have ever seen. I am not sure I would even have the skill sets necessary to successfully assemble it.

I recently had a chance to get a NZG Liebherr 1600 for $500 (I was offered a really good deal), but after watching Ian's assembly video over on Cranes Etc., I was too intimidated by the assembly process to pull the trigger (i.e. cross reeving?). Teeth Teeth This looks even more complex than that one.

Additionally, I would need a bigger house to fit this monster inside. Smile

I may just have to wait for the MLC 300 in the hopes that it will be smaller and someone less challenging for me to assemble.

I will say this. It's about time we got some new Manitowoc crane models on the scene. Kudos to the Weiss Bros!! They hit a walk off grand slam with this one!!

cranedude07
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 7:25:26 PM

As for a date, they can't really say yet.
They said they tried a few different lines, and tested them by tying a pencil to the end, and holding up the string do the pencil was hanging, and if it twisted, it was rejected. They were looking for something in the musky master/nzg ballpark. It looked pretty good, I didn't mess around with it much but they showed me the locking drums, the drum on the a-frame/gantry/live mast is a split drum, it's like the 16000 drum with 2 lines coming off of it but as everyone knows with the equal tension problems it causes, they designed that drum as 2 separate small drums, and you can insert the key, tighten one and insert it further and it catches the other side and turns it the same time, so you can turn one or both, to tighten the slack. And they both lock.
The pulleys I think are close together so there's not much play in them.
The paint looks great, think it is the same twh paint.
The assembly shouldn't be anymore difficult than an 18000 or lr1600. It uses the nuts/bolts and metal pins to join everything. The vpc max tray is very quick to change out, and due to everything breaking down for loads, you can configure it in any configuration you want, you don't have to display it with the vpc-max or luffer. So you can make it fit anywhere.
The plan is to ship them pre reeved but if it causes problems constantly, they will just let the collector reeve it themselves.

As for the ringers in the back, they are 1/8th scale, I think one will be a static model while the other will be R/C. They have a few videos on YouTube of the build progress also.

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Newcrane
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 7:57:00 PM

Looks good. So what the relationship between WB and Towsley?
Victor Pay
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 8:17:44 PM

cranedude07 wrote:
the drum on the a-frame/gantry/live mast is a split drum, it's like the 16000 drum with 2 lines coming off of it but as everyone knows with the equal tension problems it causes, they designed that drum as 2 separate small drums,

Why 2 seperate drums? Isn't the A-frame reeving line 1 line going through with both ends on one twin drum, like on the LR 1600?
If the A-frame reeving wasn't such a mess on this model, we could see better how it's designed Wink
Talyan55
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 9:28:51 PM

would be great to see some older models like Manitowoc 4600
digggerr
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 11:31:04 PM

Check out the three different videos here.
eef7260
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:30:01 AM

First of all thanks Brandon for posting this , it gives a real good impression.
Impressive crane to say at least , lot of good detail as far as i can see here.
But i think i skip this one , to big for me and to modern design.
So that leaves the big question are there gone be some classics in the future from Weiss ??????
Quote:
would be great to see some older models like Manitowoc 4600

I vote for a 3900.

Eef

***Flickr American cranes group***3D printed crane parts at Shapeways***3D printed crane parts at I.materialise

CmdrByron
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:23:09 AM

Awesome pics! Wish I was on a VIP short-list to preview such fantastic models :(

Any indications/discussion about the MLC300? I would like to expect similar quality, but there is a particular concern about the winch drums, where the 300 refers to "friction" vice "locking" drums.

Though an awesome model, the 300 is more in-line with my personal taste.

Regards,
SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:05:37 AM

Thanks for the pics and info. The tolerances on the shafts with pulleys are they better than TWH? The pulleys would flop sideways making it difficult to keep line on as all you know.
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 2:38:07 PM

The sheave spacing is pretty tight.
The mlc300 was also there but not together or painted, was the metal samples though, I believe it will come out mid 2017, I did look at it and it looks just as good.
Milo Weiss worked at towsleys/twh, lead engineer I think that helped design and bring the models to reality. Since twh went under, he decided to start his own company with his brother and can use the factories that twh and wsi use. He also has the tools to print off custom decals of anything you want to put on your models.

Here is a video I took of me showing the model and the vpc working
mlc650 model video

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
CivilConstTodd
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 3:50:02 PM

Any discussion about additional boom/jib sections or additional counterweights coming in the future?
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 4:17:33 PM

They plan on producing an extension kit with the extra counterweights but no word on a date. They said the kit should make it reach a height of around 12ft or so

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
AZ2RAIL
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 7:07:21 PM

Thank you for posting these pictures. I ordered the 650, so I had better start saving for it.
SDBOB
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:35:34 AM

Thank you. I have them both reserved. I can't help myself,lattice boom cranes that is.
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 11:01:55 PM