DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Storing models - temperature and humidity Options · View
Jamiescotland
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 7:31:59 AM

Groups: Member

It's got to the stage where I'm having to store models in my loft, which is a non-insulated space. Living in the Highlands of Scotland, it gets pretty cold up there in the winter, and almost hot up there in the summer when the sun's out (which admittedly isn't that often).
I'm concerned that some aspects of the models could deteriorate in those conditions, or am I worrying about nothing?
At the moment, I've wrapped them up in plastic sheeting but they're not air tight. Could rubber wheels crack with repeated heating and cooling? Could bare metal pistons corrode and rivets rust?
Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for your help,

Jamie
mikebramel
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:48:54 AM

I would be worried about the rubber and resin if the temperature changes quickly
Basketball Man
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 5:17:11 PM

I would also be concerned about plastic and resin parts. Temperature swings seem to age plastic faster than normal in my opinion.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Mark Bridle
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 9:28:04 AM

Jamie if you 've go so many that you have to store them, then its time to move a few, because as you get older, the appeal of mooching in the loft gets less and less, and fairly soon you realise that its five years since you put them there. I shifted from quantity to quality Mark
Jamiescotland
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 12:09:32 PM

Not something I wanted to hear Mark, but you speak the truth!
Trouble is, I can't let go.
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 12:54:08 PM

Something you might want to consider is getting a storage unit in a place that is air conditioned during the summer and heated during the winter. A small 5 foot by 5 foot by what ever high unit isn't that expensive for your models. Also you put your own lock on it and can access it most anytime. The cost depends on where you live but with model costs it would be worth it!!!

Also check insurance, in most cases your homeowners insurance will cover them in the store age area or you might need renters insurance. Storage companies insurance DOES NOT COVER the tenant's property that is stored only the building!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:30:01 PM

I know high humidity will definitely affect them, especially empty boxes. I don't know where to go with the empty boxes anymore. I keep the boxed models in dressers I picked up in my toy room and shop.Confused Think Ken
max
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 12:44:09 AM

Jamiescotland wrote:
Not something I wanted to hear Mark, but you speak the truth!
Trouble is, I can't let go.

Given the custom work you've done on some of your models, i can not blame you for not be ready to get rid of them.....
I am in a bit of the same situation than you, Jamis as most of my collection has been stored in a shed out side for the last almost 6 years.....
I am a bit concerned to see in wich condition i'll find some of my models when i finally have a place to display them.
That being said, when i packed my models, i took a great deal of précautions to pack them properly.When i did'nt have the original boxes, i make up some.
Good luck with everything.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.