DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1:50th Hitachi EX750-5 build. Options · View
RowanH
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:39:14 PM

Groups: Member

Hi all, I've always wanted to own a Tony James built Hitachi EX750 but more recently I decided to have a go at building my own. Bit of a summer project and it had been a while since I had built anything so it was time. I spent some time eyeing off and measuring up my 1:50th scale Doosan DX700LC and was happy enough that it would serve as a good base and starting point. Many of the dimensions were really close already. Anyway, here's how its going at the moment...

The hopeful final product!

The starting point

The Deere 200CLC was the cab donor.

This might even work....

Remove the raised rear engine cover and the decals with some acetone free nail polish remover.

Time to draw on a rear engine cover and check it against the scale dimensions, far from perfect but I'm happy with that!

Time to disassemble.

Lots of plastic parts to remove.

Bits and pieces.

Supplies for the paint stripping. Something I've not done before. Will definitely use goggles and a mask next time, the fumes are quite intense.

That didn't take long!

After a bit of wire brushing, I'm happy with the results.

Time to work on filling in that body top. I only had 2mm lying around but that will make for a nice solid base.

More supplies including official Hitachi Orange and 'old cab grey' and some epoxy putty.

File down and round the top of the body.

Remove the right hand side walkway as the Hitachi doesn't have one.

The body tray stuck out too far under the cab so it was time to change that.

Cut the end off, file it down, glue and re-file to smooth. Good as new.

Mask for putty...

Apply generous amount of the epoxy putty....

File down to smooth

Roughly scratch build the rear engine cover. Filing, putty and sanding will do most of the detail work.

And that's where I'm upto at the moment. I've got a few more weeks of holiday left so I'm hoping to get it pretty close to done in that time. Thanks for looking.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

325cl
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:27:06 PM

Looking good Rowan! Very nice job. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Greg

RowanH
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:44:45 PM

Thanks Greg, so am I! I still can't really see it finished in my own mind yet but I think it'll scrub up alright once complete.

Rowan.

kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:33:32 PM

Very nice Rowan. You are doing a great job and taking your time. I look forward to seeing the finished machine. Whistle Applause Ken
Basketball Man
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:42:51 AM

Nice project! Will the stick get a little longer? Sewer boom would look great with that model. Teeth

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:46:13 AM

That looks very promising despite your modesty.
And looks like you got some refreshments to keep you going... Wink

S.

Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 2:57:33 AM

I love looking through this. Very enjoyable. Thanks
Campmb
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 10:59:20 AM

Great work Rowan! It's great to watch the progress being made. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
RowanH
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:42:13 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Still a long way to go but there has been a bit of progress.

The build of the rear engine cover was pretty rough. Time to bog it up.

Shaved down pretty nicely.

Test fit. The cover is actually quite off center. I measured it up and found the right spot.

Time to build the vent on the side of the cover. Beading wire, perfect.

Vent finished and glued on. Far from perfect but about I'm happy with it.

Into the high tech paint booth.

The quick dry primer worked a treat.

This was actually a little more complex than it appears but I wanted to remove the Deere logos from the plastic inner of the cab. The problem with nail polish remover on transparent plastics is that it leaves ghost stains so i trialed it first on a small corner that would be covered by the metal cab. I used a small q-tip with non-acetone nail polish remover to rub and remove the decal and once removed, swiftly used another q-tip with water to clean the area. Following that, I actually left a small pool of water on the area to ensure no further ghosting. After an hour, I dried the area and it cleaned up perfectly.

Back to the paint booth. The goal was to do 2 light coats. After 2, I'll need to do an even lighter third coat and probably some small brush touch ups in the harder to reach places as the paint goes on pretty heavy and another coat will start to hide details.

Once sprayed, it's onto the oven (a meat tray on warm pavers, on a hot, sunny, Australian afternoon).

Unfortunately the primer and 2 coats of paint haven't done as good of a job as I had hoped of covering up the putty and I might look into re-sanding down the engine cover and re-painting. On the plus side, the sling was a good way of moving the pieces from the spray booth to the oven.

Time for a mock build up.

And some pictures with it's big brother.

And that's where it sits at the moment. There's still lots to do but next on the list is to black line the cab. Black paint in the exhaust port, build the exhaust, finish up the decal images to send to print and then work on customising the undercarriage to fit the ISM tracks.

Until next time, cheers.

Rowan.

Dex
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2017 12:18:19 AM

Really awesome project so far. Hands down my favorite generation of Hitachi. You did some really good parts sourcing and scratch building.
RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:02:40 PM

Thanks Dex, I also love the -5 machines. They have a lot of character about them.

I started doing some work on the undercarriage yesterday.

The first step was to compare the Doosan track pads and linkages against the ISM pads. While the ISM tracks are slightly narrower, they are far more detailed and a lot closer to the original Hitachi tracks.

The track linkages were far wider on the Doosan tracks to allow the drive sprocket and the idlers to roll freely. The ISM linkage chanel was far narrower so I was going to have to shave down the Doosan UC parts.

Here you can clearly see that the rollers fir nicely into the Doosan's linkages but would struggle with the ISM pads.

In an effort to preserve the outer image of the rollers, I decided to shave down the internal edging first to see if it was enough to allow for free rolling of the tracks.

RHS shaved down, LHS still original.

Success, the ISM tracks fit perfectly and roll freely. Unfortunately under tension, it flattens out the overall elliptical shape of the tracks rather than having them fall nicely over the rollers. By adding an additional pad, it made the circuit too loose. Ideally I would like the ISM tracks to fall the same way the Doosan tracks had done previously (as pictured). Anyway, something else to work on.

Time for another mock up.

Far too 'flat' at the moment. But not for long...

Ultimately, this is the look I'm going for. The pads are perfect, I just nee to work on the fall and appearance.

Anyway, moving forward, I've got to work on the fall of the tracks and I think that by adding a little height to the central idlers, I can have the tracks slightly lifted along the central line, giving it the correct appearance. I also purchased some gloss black paint so I hope to shoot the UC in the next few days and also add the detail lining to the cab.

Thanks for looking,

Rowan.

modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:10:38 PM

Looks great,so far.Love those tracks!Cannot wait to see it fully finished.Applause Well done.What about that 375?is that finished?Do you have any other customizing ideas?
RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 9:13:49 PM

Thanks for the compliment. The 375 only need a good dust and decals! I'll be ordering them at the same time as the ones for this Hitachi.

Next on the list will most likely be a Komatsu PC1000SE-1 Smiley

Rowan.

RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:29:34 AM

Some more updates from yesterday and today. Firstly, excuse the screaming bright colour. It would appear that I forgot to turn the 'colour pop' setting off from my outing yesterday.

I spent hours trying to figure out the best way to 'prop up' the raised central idlers and in the end I went with modelling putty. This way I could file it down and modify it to suit.

Thankfully, it went on with no issues and although it currently looks a little sloppy, the fall of the tracks on the UC has improved greatly, I'm really happy with how the sit now.

I hit the underneath of the UC with some black paint as well but have yet to do the sides and top.

Masking of the first 'black detail' part of the cab.

There was some bleeding through the mask of black that I will try to take care of with some Hitachi grey and a hand held paint brush.

Starting to look more and more Hitachi like every day now.

I've got another Doosan DX700 sitting new in a box packed away that I almost pulled out today for a comparison shot but I've decided to wait until it's complete to really see the difference. Again, excuse the screaming off color, the camera was on the wrong setting.

Anyway, that's all for a few days. Thanks again for reading.

Rowan.

Cubanb343
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:28:48 PM

Looks great so far. The paint job looks nice
rare ss
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:04:35 PM

Looks great Rowan!
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:15:10 PM

You not only did a great job, but explained your steps along the way. Fantastic post and what great passion for the hobby. CAW
RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 5:48:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad you're enjoying following the build.

I remembered to change the camera setting back to normal this time too.

Small update today. I finished the black coats of the undercarriage which looks a lot cleaner in all black! I'm really happy with the fit and finish of the whole piece as it rolls perfectly and looks like it came straight from the factory.

I added some more of the black detail to the cab however once again I'm suffering from a fair bit of bleeding through the mask. I think i'll return to my local tool shop to see if I can find something a bit better as this painters blue label masking tape isn't doing a good enough job.

I've also temporarily replaced the pop rivet heads to hold in place the hydraulics.

I've still got lots of detail parts to return to the model and touch ups but it continues to get closer.

Rowan.

RMS Models
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:35:16 AM

RowanH,

Are you using the factory edge of your tape or are you cutting a new edge? Are you using a burnishing tool on the edge of the tape or just your finger?
Dex
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:44:11 PM

Rowan, try to burnish the edge of the tape with the something like a toothpick or something similar to ensure the adhesive is fully secure. Also I recommend the blue masking tape, it holds a good edge without leaving adhesive, or worse, pulling up fresh paint.