DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

OK. Need Some More Help/Guidance On Die Cast Crane Repair Options · View
Don L
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:32:38 PM
Groups: Member

Bought a Conrad Liebherr LTM 1300 on eBay without the box (to go with my fly jib that I posted pics of in another thread). Bottom line, seller did a horrible job of packing/shipping. I guess the weight of the crane caused the crane to bounce around in the box, and three wheels snapped off (at the axle hub attachment points). Sad Sad

Dumb me!! As usual I learn every thing the hard way in this hobby. Oh well.

The good news is I didn't spend all that much so it was not a huge financial loss - not even was worth the shipping and time to send it back. The bad news is this was a really nice crane which is now totally ruined. Sad Sad

I tried reattaching the broken axle ends with JB Quik Weld Epoxy. At first this appeared promising, but ultimately the ends snapped off again when I tried to re-attach the wheel hubs.

So now I am trying to figure out if I remove the undercarriage axle mechanisms (which are interconnected to each other) and try and get (probably impossible) replacement axle mechanism parts.

I have taken the crane totally apart. The axle mechanisms are attached to the undercarriage with a single articulating attachment point (one for each axle). However, they are very solidly (I can't stress the "solidly" point enough) attached. I have tried but I can not pry them off (or even nudge them at all for that matter).

So the question, is there a way/tip/trick (other than just total brute force which will most like break undercarriage attachments) to remove the axle mechanism from the undercarriage of this crane??

Or is my only option now to completely replace the entire lower portion of the crane?

Either way it looks like to fix this crane, I am going to have to find another one to sacrifice.

Anyone got a damaged LTM1300 laying around (with a good bottom half) they wouldn't mind parting with? LOL

What a damn shame!!!

Thanks for any help of suggestions anyone can offer? However, I am pretty sure that all that can be offered for this situation is condolences. Smile Smile Well at least I'm not crying. LOL

Scheggaboochee
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 8:25:33 PM

Contact EBay about the damage caused during shipping. You may be able to get some your money back.
dain555
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:21:11 PM

There might be a couple fixes possible for your dilemma. Have you tried drilling and tapping for a 00-90 bolt into the wheel spindle??? That might solve the wheel problem but if not you could clip one side of the axle tilt pin and maybe file it too. Once you get ready to reinstall the part you'd have to take and find a way to secure it with maybe a brass strap drilled and bolted on over the tilt pin.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Don L
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 11:48:04 PM

dain555 wrote:
There might be a couple fixes possible for your dilemma. Have you tried drilling and tapping for a 00-90 bolt into the wheel spindle??? That might solve the wheel problem but if not you could clip one side of the axle tilt pin and maybe file it too. Once you get ready to reinstall the part you'd have to take and find a way to secure it with maybe a brass strap drilled and bolted on over the tilt pin.

Hi Dain,

If you notice on the pic (picture 3 shows it pretty well) right behind the wheel is a vertical pin that connects the axle pieces together and I guess also allows for articulation of the wheel. I thought about drilling straight into the end of the axle and inserting a piece of brass rod, but if I did I would hit/sever that pin.

This is just one big cluster...
Paul Crane
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:51:39 AM

I've had this problem before. I requested replacement axles from Conrad. They were very kind to send replacements. It just took time. But it was just brute force to take the old ones out, and the new ones in. I used a steady prying action to minimize damage.
Don L
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:21:54 AM

Paul Crane wrote:
I've had this problem before. I requested replacement axles from Conrad. They were very kind to send replacements. It just took time. But it was just brute force to take the old ones out, and the new ones in. I used a steady prying action to minimize damage.

Much thanks Paul. I will give that a try. I will try to see if I can actually get the old axles off first though before I contact Conrad. With my luck I will probably break the tabs that nest the axle pin. Sad

Best regards.

Don

P.S. I doubt you remember this, but I have bought several cranes from you on eBay in the past. Matter of fact, I think I purchased my very first crane ever from you, and then later my first crawler (CCM 555 ALL Crane). That was a couple of years ago as I don't recall you selling anything recently. Much thanks.

Paul Crane
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:21:53 AM

Don,
I do remember shipping to Orlando. As shown in your pics, there are two pairs of tabs at each axle. Even if you break one of them, there are 3 tabs to hold a new axle. You might try adding a drop of oil to get the axle out easier.
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:11:35 PM

Return it get you money back, i have a 1300 with box and it will be professionally packed by myself

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:20:19 PM

I had to replace an axle an my Felbermayr LG1750 a long time ago,I got a replacement axle through the dealer and conrad,I used a small punch and really small hammer to tap open the tabs which hold the axle in place then pry the axle up and out,fit the new axle then gently tap the tab back

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Don L
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:29:53 PM

hummer13 wrote:
Return it get you money back, i have a 1300 with box and it will be professionally packed by myself

Jason

I hear you Jason. Excellent advice.

The ONLY reason I am keeping it is because it is an early Schmidbauer model and I basically paid estate sale prices for it.

So right now it is a project instead of a model. Teeth Teeth Somewhere out there is a damaged LTM 1300 (with upper half damage) with a good lower section that maybe I will be able to pick up on the cheap. Probably not on eBay though. Someone right now is trying to sell one that has a broken/missing pendant for $500.

However, if I come up short then I guess the next guy can have a project when my wife sells all my stuff in an estate/yard sale. LOL

I wasn't necessarily looking for a pricey LTM 1300 in box, but I'll definitely entertain an offer. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Best regards.

Don
Don L
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:00:42 PM

Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
As shown in your pics, there are two pairs of tabs at each axle. Even if you break one of them, there are 3 tabs to hold a new axle. You might try adding a drop of oil to get the axle out easier.

Thanks Paul.

I will plan on attacking that undercarriage this weekend.

Paul Crane wrote:
I do remember shipping to Orlando.

FYI. Below is the crane (picture on the left) that I bought from you (complete with A frame bird's nest and unbalanced hook block). Teeth

I had absolutely no clue what I was doing (even less than current day if you can believe that) or how to erect it. LOL

The same crane is in the picture on the right. I added new boom sections, and re-strung with Musky Master.

I started out with the intentions of buying one little mobile crane (with ALL Crane livery) from you. However, little did I know then that there is NO SUCH THING as "one" crane. It's all your fault!! HAHA

Take care.

Don
Don L
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:08:34 PM

gbarnewall wrote:
I had to replace an axle an my Felbermayr LG1750 a long time ago,I got a replacement axle through the dealer and conrad,I used a small punch and really small hammer to tap open the tabs which hold the axle in place then pry the axle up and out,fit the new axle then gently tap the tab back

Thanks gbarnewall.

That is very helpful and I will definitely give it a try.

I was thinking I may have to either use a punch to tap it out or a pointed implement to pry it out (maybe both).

At this point, I really don't risk much if I screw up since there is no guarantee Conrad even has replacement part.

Take care,

Don
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:29:02 PM

Don L wrote:
gbarnewall wrote:

Thanks gbarnewall.

That is very helpful and I will definitely give it a try.

I was thinking I may have to either use a punch to tap it out or a pointed implement to pry it out (maybe both).

At this point, I really don't risk much if I screw up since there is no guarantee Conrad even has replacement part.

Take care,

Don

To pick up replacement axles shoot Conrad an email,I forget who you email,maybe someone can chime in,I think it was a lady by the name of Carmen? if you hit a dead end there you may think about trying to source axles from guys here or on Facebook groups,I think I replaced the broken wheel hub mount with one from a Conrad concrete mixer,maybe even look for a cheap similar sized crane on ebay,,the axles should be similar sized

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Cubanb343
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:44:42 PM

Beate Munker
Don L
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:51:19 PM

STATUS UPDATE:

Well I finally got the axle assembly off. I learned a couple of lessons which I will share (in hopes it might help someone else later).

gbarnewall wrote:
I used a small punch and really small hammer to tap open the tabs which hold the axle in place then pry the axle up and out,fit the new axle then gently tap the tab back

I tried this method first. With the very first gentle tap on the punch, the tab side popped right off. So I had to go to plan B.

Paul Crane wrote:
But it was just brute force to take the old ones out, and the new ones in. I used a steady prying action to minimize damage.

After I broke off the one tab, I just decided to pry them out. The method I used was to turn a regular screwdriver on edge (immediately adjacent to the axle tabs) and started prying. They eventually came out. However, I did break off a couple more tabs in the process.

Paul Crane wrote:
Even if you break one of them, there are 3 tabs to hold a new axle.

This is where I am right now. There was a front and rear attachment tab on each axle. I at least have one complete tab attachment point remaining on every axle.

Paul Crane wrote:
I've had this problem before. I requested replacement axles from Conrad. They were very kind to send replacements.

gbarnewall wrote:
To pick up replacement axles shoot Conrad an email

Cubanb343 wrote:
Beate Munker

So the next step is to contact Conrad and (wait a few months for a reply) to see what they can do. I have emailed Beate Munker previously to order Conrad replacement parts. They wanted $15 for an 8mm plastic pulley so I can't wait to see how expensive this is going to be. LOL

I am still going to try and find a cheap LTM 1300 with an intact undercarriage if I can.

MUCH THANKS to EVERYONE who helped me out. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Don
Paul Crane
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:02:25 PM

Don,
Note that you should be able to use an axle from any Conrad LTM crane model. Yes, I'll take the blame for "you can't buy just one".
dain555
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:17:53 PM

Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
Note that you should be able to use an axle from any Conrad LTM crane model. Yes, I'll take the blame for "you can't buy just one".

Nope can't have just one (like the Lay's potato chips commercial says)!! I'd like to have a few but sadly my income limits me!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Don L
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:34:20 PM

Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
Note that you should be able to use an axle from any Conrad LTM crane model.

The LTM 1300 has 3 steering axles connected on the front and 2 on the rear. I guess I could just use doubles or singles off another Conrad LTM crane. At least it would be an option just to be able to erect and display the crane.

Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
Yes, I'll take the blame for "you can't buy just one".

Just look at what you have done! haha Teeth Teeth

P.S. For the benefit of the dirt and demo folks on the forum, I included my 1 cat. LOL

kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:14:15 PM

Don L wrote:
Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
Note that you should be able to use an axle from any Conrad LTM crane model.

The LTM 1300 has 3 steering axles connected on the front and 2 on the rear. I guess I could just use doubles or singles off another Conrad LTM crane. At least it would be an option just to be able to erect and display the crane.

Paul Crane wrote:
Don,
Yes, I'll take the blame for "you can't buy just one".

Just look at what you have done! haha Teeth Teeth

P.S. For the benefit of the dirt and demo folks on the forum, I included my 1 cat. LOL

And here I thought you were just a miss guided guy that happen to wonder over to the lifty thingy side--!!
Don L
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:42:53 PM

Don L wrote:
Bought a Conrad Liebherr LTM 1300 on eBay without the box (to go with my fly jib that I posted pics of in another thread). Bottom line, seller did a horrible job of packing/shipping. I guess the weight of the crane caused the crane to bounce around in the box, and three wheels snapped off (at the axle hub attachment points). Sad Sad

Dumb me!! As usual I learn every thing the hard way in this hobby. Oh well.

The good news is I didn't spend all that much so it was not a huge financial loss - not even was worth the shipping and time to send it back. The bad news is this was a really nice crane which is now totally ruined. Sad Sad

I tried reattaching the broken axle ends with JB Quik Weld Epoxy. At first this appeared promising, but ultimately the ends snapped off again when I tried to re-attach the wheel hubs.

So now I am trying to figure out if I remove the undercarriage axle mechanisms (which are interconnected to each other) and try and get (probably impossible) replacement axle mechanism parts.

I have taken the crane totally apart. The axle mechanisms are attached to the undercarriage with a single articulating attachment point (one for each axle). However, they are very solidly (I can't stress the "solidly" point enough) attached. I have tried but I can not pry them off (or even nudge them at all for that matter).

So the question, is there a way/tip/trick (other than just total brute force which will most like break undercarriage attachments) to remove the axle mechanism from the undercarriage of this crane??

Or is my only option now to completely replace the entire lower portion of the crane?

Either way it looks like to fix this crane, I am going to have to find another one to sacrifice.

Anyone got a damaged LTM1300 laying around (with a good bottom half) they wouldn't mind parting with? LOL

What a damn shame!!!

Thanks for any help of suggestions anyone can offer? However, I am pretty sure that all that can be offered for this situation is condolences. Smile Smile Well at least I'm not crying. LOL

**A Project Update:**

I thought I would share this, as I have finally finished (at least for now anyway - I may add an etch kit later) restoring my damaged Schmidbauer Liebherr LTM 1300.

Recall that the wheel axles had snapped off during shipping. It was also old and needed some paint touch ups. I actually did get replacement axles and hub caps from Conrad, but several of the undercarriage axle attachment tabs had broken off when I removed the old axles, so I decided to use an undercarriage from another LTM 1300 (that I was finally able to secure for a parts crane) instead. I still have plans to use my remaining parts to build/restore another LTM 1300. I may actually try to strip the paint and make it into a custom livery crane, but that is another project for another day.

In the end, the easiest option for me was to use an intact undercarriage and just paint it to match the Schmidbauer livery color. I also re-painted all the chrome and added YCC cylinders. I did not have a complete set of wheel hubcaps, so I had to repaint those to match as well

It has taken me months, but in the end I think it turned out pretty nice.

I am definitely not in the skill category of most of you in this forum, but some of your knowledge is actually rubbing off. There is no way I could have pulled this off when I first joined this forum. Thanks for sharing your builds and modeling tips. They actually do help those of us that are new to the hobby.