DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cat 5110B to Cat 5110B L Options · View
Neil87
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:41:44 AM

Groups: Member

Hello,

This is my first large project in diecast modifications. I'm recreating the TACC Construction owned CAT 5110B L as seen here.

Most the the plastic parts including grab irons and exhaust stacks are being rebuilt in brass. All of the paint has been stripped and I have started cutting away the platform in order to create the raised cab. The track base will be lengthened and a long stick built with the quick attach system by NYE Manufacturing.

If Mother Nature wanted fiberglass boats, she would have planted fiberglass trees.
The Contractor
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 12:06:53 PM

Nice! Looking forward to seeing your finished custom modification. Good Luck!
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 1:13:17 PM

TACC has a very beautiful livery and it will look amazing on your model. Best of luck w/ all of the brass mods and the painting. Are you going to get custom decals printed?

Please keep us posted. Take care and all the best.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:00:52 PM

I'm also wondering about the custom decals.

Looks like a great project. The prototype is impressive.

Stephane

Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:47:41 PM

I know Greg did one of these awhile back and it looks great and know yours will be great as well. Those off set hand rails are a real challenge. Looking forward to seeing the finished product ,Neil.
225spinace
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 9:13:16 PM

Looking good so far. The long stick and quick coupler will be a nice addition to the model. Keep us posted.

- Matt -
Neil87
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 9:36:53 PM

Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments. Yes, custom decals it will be. I have them designed. Anyone know a good Canadian source for custom decal printing? If not, American.

225spinace, That looks amazing. I see you replaced the lines and handrails. That sure takes it from an Ertl look to something a little more high end. You work for Priestly I take it? Great company I hear (from a relative who worked for them).

If Mother Nature wanted fiberglass boats, she would have planted fiberglass trees.
Ironstef70
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:51:59 PM

Neil87 wrote:
Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments. Yes, custom decals it will be. I have them designed. Anyone know a good Canadian source for custom decal printing? If not, American.

225spinace, That looks amazing. I see you replaced the lines and handrails. That sure takes it from an Ertl look to something a little more high end. You work for Priestly I take it? Great company I hear (from a relative who worked for them).

You may want to check with Highball Graphics. They used to do tons of custom projects for RR stuff (but looks like they are slowing down now....). They did our clubs anniversary boxcar logo 2 years ago and did great.

HG

Stephane

Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:04:02 PM

An update.

Cab riser is ready to be mated to the diecast frame via a screw. I have the grab irons all done and ready for paint. Working on the air intake housings and the walkways leading to the cab. Will either etch the grate or make from small strips.

Ironstef70 - Thanks for the lead. I will check them out.

Dex
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:10:24 AM

One of my favorite Scot models, and you just made it better. I can't wait to see the finished result!
RowanH
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:31:37 AM

Another great custom build. Nice to see some more creations on the forum. Really looking forward to seeing the longer stick and track frames in particular. Do you have additional track pads to fill the void?

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Basketball Man
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:59:16 PM

Looks like you have a good project on your hands. Here is one I built a few years ago.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Neil87
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:47:30 AM

I have no track pads at the moment. I do have two other 5110b models in the box, but in this case, I'll probably cast my own or build them.

Very nice long stick reconfiguration. What were the donor models that you used?

Here is an update, I have decided to make the counterweight removable. I cut off the ass end, and will be filling it with lead melted from fishing sinkers (trying to get rid of them) and will seal the lead after. The screw mounts look a little unsightly so I may reconfigure the rear two body screws.

I have cut off the left and right cat walks, and will be rebuilding these from brass. They will be mechanically attached to the model. I have purchased some jewelry cord and wire for hydraulic lines.

I also, used some filler on the boom to fill in the seam where the two halves mate and fixed any imperfections.

Jewelers pliers work great for bending the grab irons to the radius I need. Stay tuned for more.

Cat336EL
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:19:51 PM

I have a parts 5110 if you want it.

...Dylan

My Instagram: Cat330DL_Man