DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

MLC650 Thread Options · View
RobS
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 3:57:17 PM
Groups: Member

As I patiently wait for the delivery of my MLC650 I thought I’d share some info I’ve gathered on the beast. If you have info on either the model, or the real machine, please add!

First off, here’s the model on the DHS site:

http://www.dhsdiecast.com/Manitowoc-MLC650-Lattice-Boom-Crawler-Crane-w_VPC/productinfo/TOWMLC650/

Weiss Brothers site has a bit more info:

http://www.weissbrothers.us/manitowoc-mlc650-lattice-boom-crawler-crane-with-vpc/

And the Weiss Brothers YouTube has some nice clips:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmKQdnUUDdXgJod-7q1PF2w

Some good documentation on the Manitowoc site, in particular the product guide. Talks about transport loads, assembly, load charts and such. This lead me to some concern regarding the number of winches on the early model pics but more recent photos are showing the luffing winch. Whew!

https://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/manitowoc/Manitowoc-product-literature/current-products

This guy was fortunate enough to haul some of the real pieces; I like his comment about “mystery weight”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uulym1dIW64

Our very own cranedude, Brandon was lucky enough to see the initial prototype and posted a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9eEhtrq0U

Ian of Cranes Etc. saw some of the pieces being built when he was in China:

http://www.cranesetc.co.uk/editorialspress/editorials/2016/editorialdec16c.htm

OK, your turn!
CivilConstTodd
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 8:17:05 PM

I say we push for an extension kit that includes additional counterweights. The real crane will handle 38 total counterweights slabs, the model only has 18 based upon pictures posted so far.
RobS
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:32:32 PM

CivilConstTodd wrote:
I say we push for an extension kit that includes additional counterweights. The real crane will handle 38 total counterweights slabs, the model only has 18 based upon pictures posted so far.

I recall a comment somewhere that there may be such a kit available. My problem is how to display such a tall model!
RobS
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:33:05 PM

CivilConstTodd wrote:

I recall a comment somewhere that there may be such a kit available. My problem is how to display such a tall model!
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:39:34 PM

I was in construction school. One of the classes talked about new bridge being built.A time lapse job video showed a brand new mlc 650 being assembled.and used and disassembled.it was about 3 min.The pics only showed the side front view.It was rigged with approx 180 ft of boom to reach bridge.Wish I could have saved it.
owner
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 10:47:20 PM

Display it on the floor, I have vaulted ceilings in the living room but most of my cranes live in a room that does not have the vaulted ceiling. the Lr 1750 must live in the living room, and I do have the 18000 Aguado on the floor, no extra boom sections, just the way it came in the box. I never really got why some would put on as much boom as the crane allowed but hey to each their own I say.

Owner
cranedude07
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 11:19:25 PM

It is a stunning model and i cant wait for it to get here, they should arrive next Wednsday and start shipping.
While i was up at weiss bros shop, we did get to talking about an extension kit and the rest of the rocks would come with it, but it would be atleast another year or so id say before they were available, the mlc300 will be arriving in the next 3.5 - 4 months, based on the 650 timeline. They got the 650 final sample back in november, and are a week out from shipping to collectors, so i assume it will be the same on the mlc300, unless something should be changed, weiss bros just got the mlc300 final sample 2 weeks ago.
While we were talking over the 650, he went over all the features and stuff with me, and they take note of what collctors want. The entire 650 is able to break down for loads, and the boom sections have lifting lugs, which is perfect for me 😆 all the drums have a positive lock, which works like the lr1600/11200. I didnt see any connections riveted, all removable pins or bolts. Many different boom combinations are possible, so you can rig it up to fit anywhere or however you want.
Im sure anyone who gets one wont complain. Theybare super nice. And look great next to the 18000.

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Scheggaboochee
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:43:30 AM

Wait when is it coming out?! Ahhhhh
RobS
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:31:03 PM

A few days (even weeks) delay is nothing, let's keep this thread up-beat!

Here's another video I found, an animation of the MLC650 showing transport, assembly, lift and pick/carry. Covers standard and VPC Max versions:

https://youtu.be/a--d9aJoI0s

Rob
cranedude07
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 4:21:01 PM

They were suppose to arrive yesterday but got caught up in customs but are on the way now and should arrive middle next week at weiss bros, not sure when other dealers get them

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Scheggaboochee
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 6:54:54 PM

cranedude07 wrote:
They were suppose to arrive yesterday but got caught up in customs but are on the way now and should arrive middle next week at weiss bros, not sure when other dealers get them

I should probably order one now then lol
RobS
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:46:19 PM

Just got my ship notification!

Rob
cranedude07
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:02:24 PM

Mine will be here saturday!

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
RobS
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:51:46 PM

According to UPS, I'll have mine tomorrow! Company in-town this weekend, may not be able to "play" Sad
Scheggaboochee
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:28:06 AM

I won't know when I'll have mine because the idiots at ***** won't answer the phone or return my emails. I knew I should have bought it through dhs but I needed the payment plan that ***** offers at this current time. Had to choose between the girlfriend and the crane...I guess we see where that got me
Paul Crane
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 3:41:44 PM

I wish I ordered mine through DHS. They said they were out of stock when I tried. So I had to buy elsewhere.
RobS
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 9:17:32 PM

The eagle has landed! Excited, but not enough time to do anything with it yet...

Rob
admin
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:10:38 PM
Groups: Administration

Hello all,

The MLC650 Cranes are now available from DHS. Paul, I am not sure who you talked to, but ours are on their way - not "out of stock".

They arrived at Towsleys Friday and are being shipped here next week. We are required to pre-pay for all of the cranes we order, as is every other dealer. So we collect payment, pay the manufacturer and receive the cranes, just like everyone else.

If you would like a crane, just place an order and you should have them in a week or so. If you want one early, please order early!

Get your orders in!

Thanks.

Chuck
bryce
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:54:46 PM

How many of these are being produced? I don't recall ever reading this information. Thanks
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:19:01 PM

bryce wrote:
How many of these are being produced? I don't recall ever reading this information. Thanks

Don't see it on their website either.

I have to be honest that from what I've seen so far, it looks an impressive model. I won't be adding one to my collection but can't fault it at the moment.

Paul R