DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Wanted - string pendants for Liebherr HS883 Options · View
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:54:12 AM

Groups: Member

I bought a second-hand Conrad Liebherr HS883 crawler crane recently, and it's missing its boom pendants - string lenghts with metal connector pieces on either end.
I will have to try to make something that resembles them, but thought I'd ask here just in case someone has some spares that they might want to sell me!

Cheers, Jamie
modelmaniac
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:56:11 PM

You would be better off,making them yourself.1)They would be just as good,if not better.2)They are like hens teeth!Very,very difficult,if not impossible to get hold of.I know,I tried to get some,years ago.Only option was to make some myself.Someone might have some,unlikely though.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:18:27 PM

I made my own out of either fishing leader (the wire stranded stuff you hook fishing lures to) and some crimp tubes. If you are in the USA you can get this stuff at Wal-Mart. Or you'd have to go online for the stuff, if you go online you can also get Beadalon beading wire, I use the 49 strand as it looks like real cable. Also you can get the crimp tubes online too.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:30:32 PM

Thanks both of you! I shall have a go myself.
dain555
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 1:25:31 PM

Jamiescotland wrote:
Thanks both of you! I shall have a go myself.

One thing you want to make yourself is a jig that you can set the length of the pendant on as not all pendants are the same length. They you can replicate the same lengths over and over too!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Mark Bridle
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 2:22:15 PM

I've just restrung the pendants on a P & H shovel. I used 300 lb test Spectrabraid fishing line. It come in various colours mine is silver grey. I propped up the boom a bit higher than required and tied one knot and let it down to check the position was correct. Then propped it up and tied another knot let it down slowly and saw what the relative tensions were like. I used fine tweezers and a heap of patience. Small electrical eye connectors can be used as pendant socket fixings. If you paint the connectors and the knot the same as the boom end it all disappears in the colour..........job done.
hummer13
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 9:10:10 PM

I can make you some , i do this style for the 855 fixed jib

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:00:57 AM

Thanks very much for the offer Hummer13! I'm going to have a go myself (bought some fairly convincing string/rope and some metal jewellery clasps) but will be in touch if it all goes tits up
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:25:14 PM

If you need the adapters that go between the lines i have those to.
Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:04:42 PM

Thanks for the offer. It's getting the oval hole right so that it fits over the blobs and is then secure when turned 90 degrees. Got clasps and wire now so half-way there
Don L
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 12:02:08 AM

Jamiescotland wrote:
I bought a second-hand Conrad Liebherr HS883 crawler crane recently, and it's missing its boom pendants - string lenghts with metal connector pieces on either end.
I will have to try to make something that resembles them, but thought I'd ask here just in case someone has some spares that they might want to sell me!

Cheers, Jamie

I cut my teeth in this hobby building pendant lines for Liebherr HS 8xx cranes. So I thought I would offer my 2 cents. P.S. I actually applied a lot of the same advice and tips that have already been posted in here in response to your post (to get credit where credit is due). Teeth

Like I said, I have a few HS 8xxs I piddle around on. Teeth

I started out by replacing the bulky pendant lines on the HS 881s and some 882s.

But I also had to repair damaged pendant lines that came with some of HS 882s, 883s, 885s and 843s. I have even had damaged attachment points on the crane as well. The solution to the problem for me was to make my own pendant lines using Beadalon 49 strand beading wire (thank you Dain Anderson) using brass loop terminates. I connected them together with brass hex screws and bolts. I will post some pics to illustrate in my next posts. For these cheap cranes, I don't use the NZG style pendant lines, which are similar, but they require a terminate for the pendant loop to go over, and these style terminates can be quite expensive.

Don L
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 12:19:31 AM

This is what the pendant lines with the loop attachments look like. You can get this stuff at any jewelry making supply store (I buy on-line).

The lines attaching to the boom tip are longer on some cranes (the HS881 & 882) so I have a wooden jig with pins inserted for the two lengths of pendant lines I need to make. The HS833 has a connection loop that hooks to the pulley brad. So if you attach there all three sets of your lines would be the same length. You should double check this though.

This is how I connected the pendant lines with a hex bolt and nut. On this crane, the attachment points on the pulley block equalizer were broken, so I actually had to create new attachment points using screws as the new attachment points. I actually think the connections look better than the original Conrad pendant connections.

Here is what the pulley block equalizer looks like with the regular attachment points in place. You may have to slightly flatten the round loops into an oval to fit.

Here is what they look like installed. Personally, I think they look better than the original Conrad pendant lines. But I may be a little biased. Teeth Teeth

Hope this helps.

Don
Jamiescotland
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 5:22:28 AM

Thanks for that Don! I've built them myself now, but they don't look as good as yours. I might have to go back and start again to get something that looks a bit more realistic. In the meantime I've gone for function over form! I'll put some pics up soon.
Cheers, Jamie