DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LR1600/2 A Frame Options · View
mdw46
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:54:38 AM
Groups: Member

Hi , I can't figure where to start because the instructions that comes with model stink. Do I use a single piece of string starting from one winch and end by tying off to the second winch. This really has me baffled and I've watched numerous video's explaining different technics ...
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:19:59 AM

Basically start in the middle with one end of the string and reeve one side. Then take the other end of the string and reeve the other side.

Have a read of this: http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1198223

Paul R
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:40:44 PM

Make sure you unwind both winches completely around a dowel first. Watch the cranes etc video. http://www.cranesetc.co.uk/library/nzgreviews/843/843review.htm Around the 2:00 minute mark is when he explains how he reeves it.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
mdw46
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 6:16:51 PM

Thanks guys I have seen video and I am still stuck with the meaning of the sketch Paul R. I get the reeving diagram but have no idea what the first sketch with sheave number 8 and 9 mean
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 3:27:29 AM

I wouldn't worry about the first sketch look at the bottom drawing it's all you need. Have you un-wound all the string onto a dowel yet? Once you do you will have two ends (Make sure when unwinding the string from the drum you keep the left string on the left side of the dowel and the right string on the right side of the dowel.) Start with the left string end on the dowel and begin to reeve it according to the bottom drawing, next do the right side. Take your time and have patience.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Victor Pay
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:04:10 PM

That first sketch I made first, and the sheave numbers 8 and 9 are from the manual.

But the manual is confusing - f and r mean front and rear, but that depends on which way you look at it.
Also, where the manual says "start" it starts from the winch with one rope end, and it expects you to reeve that rope end all through and then return to the winch.

I find it much more practical to take the rope all the way out and reeve both rope ends from outside through the sheaves and end up on the winch drum.
But then you need to know where to start with the rope ends.
That's why I made the second sketch, viewed from behind the crane, with the sheeves renumbered chronologically for each side.
Left: 1--16, right 0-1--16.
From sheaves 2, left and right are exactly symmetrical.
The big arrows after 16 go to the winchdrum.

Here's a series of pics I took while I reeved it.
First unwind the double winch completely and detach the rope.
Then take both rope ends and start reeving as shown in my second sketch.
I used counterweights to hold and guide the rope while reeving.
When both rope ends are reeved through all the sheaves, attach them to the winch and wind up the winch further, thereby eating up the remaining rope sleeve until it spans between sheaves 0 and 1.
The last picture was taken just before that Smiley

Hope it helps... it's a tough one if this is your first crane and you never did any thing like this!

Victor
mdw46
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:57:09 PM

Awesome Victor this is great !!! One question Why didn't you lay the a frame down all the way forward ? Thanks for the help !!!!
Victor Pay
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:23:09 AM

Because I find this way easier. Shorter lines, and you can see better where the rope goes.
You do need to find a way to support the A frame properly though.
The polystyrene block I started with was too weak, so I took that wooden block.
Still you need to take care, if it slips out or tilts you're done :-p

With the A frame all the way forward you don't need any supports, not for the A frame and not the sheave block hinged on the body.
mdw46
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 10:32:05 AM

Thanks for the help Victor !! It was very helpful ....
mdw46
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:32:30 PM

Victor why did you make slash's bettween 0 and 1 in the second photo ? Is that where you cut string when you finished reeving and then glued the 16's to the winch's ? Is the aframe still in the lowered position before gluing to winch's
Victor Pay
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:24:13 PM

No, I don't cut any string - that's the whole point of this kind of reeving, using one single rope of which the ends are wound up on the double winch.
The slashes shows the end position of the rope, after winding up the winch there's no more loose sleeve.
mdw46
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:34:33 PM

Ok Thanks ....