DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1:87 Menck M154 shovel Options · View
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:54:03 PM

Groups: Member

I don't know how people do 1:87 scale models - they're tiny and fiddly!!
Still, I managed to get this little Kibri kit built without too much shouting at my giant sausage fingers.
I went for orange as the usual blue looked a bit boring to me.

"/>

"/>

"/>
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:46:11 PM

Wonderful HO creation ! Love those Kibri kits. Got anymore HO builds planned Jamie ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 4:51:38 AM

Thanks! I got another Menck kit in a job lot but it's a cable-pull excavator and after this build, I'm not sure I have the patience to do it. I think I will sell it on.
I'm currently adding a bit of extra detail to my new R9800 1:50 shovel - lots of hydraulic connectors to do. I then have a 1:16 Gescha Case 580B to rebuild and paint - quite a lot of work as it needs a new front axle and wheels (which I have borrowed from a RC toy backhoe loader). It'd be quite nice to do it in a different colour rather than the usual yellow. After that, it's on with my Taylor Woodrow Demag 485 - lots of new railings, hydraulics and a repaint. Finally, I'd like to scratch-build a Bucyrus 110RB. There are also the remains of many other models lying around awaiting treatment!
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:51:00 AM

Hi Jamie,

very well done!

Like Menck shovels, I was born in Hamburg and in my childhood I was prone to sneak around constuction sites. And yes, I'm a big fan of Menck equipment. But despite these facts, it took me years to encounter my first real Menck shovel. For many years (and we speak of the ages befor the internet), when I wanted to draw a Menck, I simply grabbed the kibri catalogue.

Yes, I can see why you are trying to avoid 1/87 and prefere 1/50. But the vast amount of kits available in HO - mainly from kibri - is just too alluring to stick with it. A month ago I was able to talk to a kibri/Viessmann sales man. They are realy out to keep the machines running to keep the kibri kits available. They are avoiding to develop complete new kits, but looking for ways to expand existing kits in the most economic way.

My suggestion was to finally come out with the good old five axle undercarriage with big rollers. (Photo Copyright Leo Helmschrott)

Most of the M154 had these undercarriages and you could easily update all existing Menck kits. I'm in an interest group for historical construction equipment (www.ighb.de) and we were able to provide the origial Menck archive back in 2014. Construction drawings are still there!

I'm really looking forward youre 110RB! Here is a small appetizer: 110 RB at Rugby Cement Quarry/Barrington

Cheers,
Max

Dex
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 11:26:20 AM

Really nice work, you have the best paint work on you models. Airbrush or rattle can?
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 4:32:21 PM

Thanks. I use Montana acrylic spray cans mostly, but occasionally an airbrush for colours I can't find in their range.
Dex
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 11:56:43 AM

Wow, that's a really decent brand. Do you have any sort of paint booth set up? Spray painting is definitely one of the areas that I need improvement on. Im decent, but not as good as I'd like to be.
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 12:21:53 PM

Very nice! I know what you mean about 1/87 scale. Some days 1/50 gets tough. Whistle Sad Ken
Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 12:47:25 PM

Thanks. Dex, I spray big items outside in the shed, and small things in the house with the door open! No special setup, but it's good paint with a nice finish.