DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

School me on clear display cases and cabinets! Options · View
Dex
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:59:47 PM

Groups: Member

Hi guys,

So my fiance and I are moving into our newly purchased condo and she suggested getting a display system for models to put in the office, and offered to split the cost with me.

I have approximately 35 models, varying sizes, everything from skidsteers to a PC1100. I currently have them on a 1ft x 8ft shelf and they are a tight fit.

I've looked into plexiglass, but they seem to be rare in large size, I'm guessing for sag reasons. Glass seems to be the more common option. So, can you hit me with your suggestions, companies, etc?

Thanks.
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:49:50 AM

Check Craig's List. I have 16 cabinets, some are antiques, and some are matching, and all of them came from there.Shhh Whistle Ken
dain555
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 10:54:26 AM

Dex, when you do glass be sure to get it thick enough and it should be tempered!! I'd suggest looking for a glass company near you and ask them what would be best, keep in mind glass for shelving is at least triple the cost than glass for a window.

Next you need a sturdy system for the glass and models to sit on. Also you need the system to screw into every wall stud for the length of the glass shelf (most wall studs are 16 inches apart to the center of the stud). DO NOT put any shelving up using anchors in the wall board as it will not hold the weight!!

What you might want to consider instead is a display case unit maybe with some lights in it. These can usually be bought at a furniture store or they might recommend a place to get one. Also with a display case unit you can move it around if your other half decides to rearrange the furniture or if you decide a condo is too small you can move it to a house!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Cat938k
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 12:49:07 PM

Well I've got these two 12"x4' paper thin wood shelves I picked up at jysk (like a bed and bath store), now I'm no engineer but I'm sure I've surpassed the 5lb rating with just my hs855 and 944k. As for the glass I've seen some nice things at IKEA and if you decide to building your own I suggest using angle steel framed around the glass to keep it from flexing.

- Tyler

Dex
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 4:00:50 PM

Wow, looks like I've got a lot more research to do! I may have to make something custom from a cabinet or bookcase. Craigslist is a great idea too.
Dan85
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 6:03:40 PM

I have a mixture of IKEA cases, Like This, and a few large display cases (4' wide by 6' tall) I scored from Craigslist.

The Ilea cases are the best bang for your buck, easy to assemble, hold the weight and allow for over head lighting to be added. Only down side is they are not totally sealed, some dust will get in, and they're not the most spacious option. However, I have four and they work nicely.

My commercial cabinets I found on Craigslist from a curio store that was going out of business, two match and the third one is fairly similar. I paid cash, rented a box truck and got a friend to help move them. A hand truck, sheet of plywood cut to size and a strap allowed me to get them up the ramp and into the truck without issue. I had to store mine for about a year until I purchased my house, which added to the cost but I had other stuff to store and I have yet to see anything remotely close to these cases on CL since then. When I finally brought them home I used my pickup truck and did them one at a time by myself - put a sheet of plywood behind the case and leaned it into the truck bed. By sheer luck, I got one downstairs into my basement by myself, the other two I had help with. I also used the hand truck and plywood to wheel it through the living room, into the kitchen and down the stairs into the basement. Fortunately the ceiling isn't finished and I had just enough room to rotate it upwards using the space between the floor joists - something I did not take into account when I initially measured everything.

Best of luck!

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:58:43 PM

I built my original shelves out of reclaimed redwood from a demolition job i did in northern California, however they were open shelves and yielded a lot of dust. one day i was at IKEA and found a whole pallet of glass cabinet doors in the AS-IS/Clearance section, for $3-$5 each, so new shelving is coming soon, (If i ever have time) IKEA has a ton of great offerings for display shelves, and are always adding new ones, The Billy Shelves can be built with optional glass doors, glass shelves and lighting and work very nicely as a affordable, and expandable option.

My custom redwood shelves took me almost 5 months to build, while my wife set up her toy room from IKEA in under a day. i wish i could post pictures, but Photobucket is being a total D-Bag.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:49:57 PM

Most display cabinets come with 1/4 in glass shelves and doors. If you have children, pets, or drunken friends, and the cabinets are in reach, tempered glass is the best way to go for the doors. For long spans of glass that is supported on the ends, I put a piece of wood railing for support in the middle between shelves. A good way to keep dust out of your cabinets is to use a piece of clear plastic tube squeezed into the gap between the doors. It is barley noticeable and does a great job.
Manitowoc
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 8:02:24 PM

There were a couple of display cases for sale at the open house that would lend themselves well to models that are not too tall.