DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Railroad Diamond Replacement by Crane Masters - Vids Options · View
DPD1
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:31:22 AM

Groups: Member

Two full days of web cam video is available for viewing, of the double track RR diamond replacement and MoW blitz, that was done at the start of the week, in Fostoria Ohio. The foreground line is CSX and the crossing line is NS. The first video is the day leading up to it, where they moved the cranes into position...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRsbSsmQlc&t=7s

The next day is most of the action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK4tbHpSSxE&t=54s

Both the CSX and NS had tamper and ballast regulator crews do their lines immediately after the swap, then after letting it settle a couple days, they came back again today and did it a second time.

CraneMaster's site is here: http://www.cranemasters.com/

They have a lot of cool shots from jobs.

If anybody is interested, I have a few screen grabs from the reverse camera that shows the area where CraneMasters parked all of their stuff. They have a really nice operation. They even have a matching crew bus/van.

Dave
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:05:31 PM

Thanks for the links! Looks like Atlas Snap-Track. Impressive operation!
TimT
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 8:55:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Cranemasters is a first class outfit. They have been doing it for a long time. Brian and Barry are great people. Winters Rigging, another wreck contractor I worked with just had there Mantis 150 ton wrecker rebuilt by Cranemasters. They sent a loaner unit while they had it in the shop. Winters worked a bridge wreck in New Jersey with them a couple years ago..and other jobs. Those larger "Mantis Type" heavy crawler wrecking cranes are built in house by them. Very impressive machines to say the least. I remember when they only had the 583's and dozers.
http://www.wintersrigging.com/services/railroad-services/emergency-derailment-services/
DPD1
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 9:19:55 PM

Cool... This was the first time I actually watched the details of how it was done. It was interesting how they put the whole assembly on rail dollies, and rolled it into place. Also noticed they had a pretty tricked out Cat excavator, with a winch on one end. That's what they used to move the assembly on the dollies.

Dave
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:55:14 PM

Tim, that mantis unit-was it red? I just saw it the other day on the 90 ironically while I was in the yard below. I thought Winters was white...
SDBOB
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:21:14 PM

Strange you guys brought this up. I was at a train show today operating our layout.Anyway I guy I see all the time,Randy he works for CSX as track repairman. He showed me pics of the Mantis crane and another tandem lifting a section of track. Didn't say where, might be same job . He had pic of him stanfing beside the main hook.That Mantis looked like a large crane
TimT
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:44:38 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Tim, that mantis unit-was it red? I just saw it the other day on the 90 ironically while I was in the yard below. I thought Winters was white...

I recall that the Cranemasters Mantis was red&white?with lots of chrome "I was at the shop the day it came to N.Collins" .... Last I knew Winters was still White & Black. You might have seen an RJ Corman unit.... Corman colors are red for trucks and some equipment.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:27:14 AM

TimT wrote:
kokosing Const Co wrote:

I recall that the Cranemasters Mantis was red&white?with lots of chrome "I was at the shop the day it came to N.Collins" .... Last I knew Winters was still White & Black. You might have seen an RJ Corman unit.... Corman colors are red for trucks and some equipment.

Corman has been around here a lot lately installing new PTC towers on our line of road, but the only reason I know it was Winters was because the lowboy was behind it with the sideboom on a flatbed. Also noticed they bought new KW's, saw them out in Silver Springs on a small derailment we had that I got called to go help moved around cars.
TimT
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:17:09 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
TimT wrote:
kokosing Const Co wrote:

Corman has been around here a lot lately installing new PTC towers on our line of road, but the only reason I know it was Winters was because the lowboy was behind it with the sideboom on a flatbed. Also noticed they bought new KW's, saw them out in Silver Springs on a small derailment we had that I got called to go help moved around cars.

Yeah, Winters bought a whole bunch of new iron last year... several new KW lowboy tractor gliders "they had Cat engines installed separately" two new Kawasaki Loaders, two new Komatsu reduced swing excavators, a new Fuchs Scrap Handler, rebuilt the Mantis, new Komatsu utility dozer, and the list goes on.
Here is a Cranemasters Mantis....