DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Desperate from Switzerland Options · View
John de Giorgio
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 3:48:32 PM

Groups: Member

First of all, hello from Switzerland. Ive just joined this forum after looking around as a guest.

Not really a die-cast collector, but I do have some CMC and Auto Art cars as well as some other smaller models.

OK, I confess. What made me join finally is to try to see if I can get some help with a problem I have.

Some time ago. I came across a small JOAL Cat 225 crane in a jumble sale. Nice looking and in good order.

This model uses a clutch mechanism on its drum to enable it to open the "claw" when going down and close it when winding up. One lever operates both drums.

There are two lines going to the claw. One to lift and lower the claw and another to open and close it.

The model uses two drums turned by the same lever with a clutch between the two to work the open/close function.

Unfortunately, the string had perished and eventually broke. I decided to replace it and that is where the problem surfaced.

No matter how I fit the string, I cannot get it to work as it did originally.

I spent most of today fiddling with the damned thing, but to no avail.

This is a video I took before the string broke.

It's a bit of a long shot, but any comments/suggestions would be very welcome.

https://youtu.be/YzjD4lpmtdA

John
dain555
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:14:49 PM

I have one also, the way you tie the strings are a nightmare some times. I tie the one the opens and closes the clam first, that string is located on the drum in the middle of the three, then what I do is lift the clam with the string on the outside by where you turn the two. Once you get the clam in the right position tie off the lift string. Make sure the drums are turned like you were lowering for a scoop otherwise you have to redo it. It's tricky but once you get it it will work great!!! If you need anything else just let me know!!! Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and have fun!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
John de Giorgio
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:52:13 PM

Hi Dain, and thank you. Could you please let me know what you mean by "Once you get the clam in the right position"
What position is that, please?

Cheers
John

John
dain555
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 2:02:41 PM

With the center drum all the way rotated toward the boom as it catches the outside drum tie this string to the loop on the cross bar in the clam bucket. Then open the clam up using the string from the outside drum (The drum next to finger wheel). As soon as the clam is fully opened tie off the lifting string to the top of the bucket. Then when you turn the finger wheel toward the back it pulls the center of the clam up closing it and then it engages the lifting string right after.

Hope that helps clear it up, when I wrote the above I didn't have my model handy to refresh my memory as to how it went. Also be sure the center drum string goes thru the boom head pulley on the cab side and the other lifting string to the right pulley. I've had to redo the strings on mine a couple times so it's not as hard to get it rigged right. The last time I rigged it was about a year ago when I put 27 pound Musky Master line on it and gave it more for a longer digging depth.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
John de Giorgio
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:41:04 PM

Thank you for that, Dain. Much appreciated.

All the best,

John