DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

It's Crane time again... Options · View
Davie82
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:36:42 PM
Groups: Member

Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. DHS is pretty quiet these days.

I've decided to buy another crane despite my criminal history (I've owned and sold two LR1750s, two AC500s, a CC8800 and an LTM11200).

Currently I have my second factory liebherr LTM11200 and I want something to go with it. I see that there are a number of options:

LR1600 (NZG)
CC3800 (Conrad) - this looks especially nice in Bracht livery
AC1000 (Conrad)
LTM1500 (WSI)
LTM1350 (WSI)

Also I notice that Conrad have re-released the AC500-2 in Demag colours and it looks really nice...but I doubt I'd get it again having already owned it twice.

I'm definitely leaning towards the LR1600 in a big way but it's really difficult to find stock anywhere in Europe just now and the price of the models is a bit high, between 650 and 900 euros for company liveries.

The way I see it, the LR1600 is NZG's answer to the Conrad LR1750, which was already an awesome model, and this is why I'm so tempted to go for it - metal pulleys, pendants, great track pads, excellent detail etc.

I know there are a number of you who have all these models and are in a position to recommend. Shoot!

TIA

peterf
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:09:25 PM

Do you still have the same email

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10069306@N07/
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:15:18 PM

LR 1600 in any livery is going to be a winner especially if they are done making them (none have been announced for a year now). The ltm 1500 is also great, I have the 1350 in Felbermayr but have been trying to sell it for a while now as I like the bigger stuff better. I won't do Conrad due to the lack of detail and quality.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Davie82
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:19:48 PM

Peter - yep I'm still at the same email address!
Don L
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 1:21:28 AM

Davie82 wrote:
Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. DHS is pretty quiet these days.

I've decided to buy another crane despite my criminal history (I've owned and sold two LR1750s, two AC500s, a CC8800 and an LTM11200).

Currently I have my second factory liebherr LTM11200 and I want something to go with it. I see that there are a number of options:

LR1600 (NZG)
CC3800 (Conrad) - this looks especially nice in Bracht livery
AC1000 (Conrad)
LTM1500 (WSI)
LTM1350 (WSI)

Also I notice that Conrad have re-released the AC500-2 in Demag colours and it looks really nice...but I doubt I'd get it again having already owned it twice.

I'm definitely leaning towards the LR1600 in a big way but it's really difficult to find stock anywhere in Europe just now and the price of the models is a bit high, between 650 and 900 euros for company liveries.

The way I see it, the LR1600 is NZG's answer to the Conrad LR1750, which was already an awesome model, and this is why I'm so tempted to go for it - metal pulleys, pendants, great track pads, excellent detail etc.

I know there are a number of you who have all these models and are in a position to recommend. Shoot!

TIA

What exactly are you wanting to know Davie82?

I have 4 LR 1600s (however, I only one I bought new). The one I bought new was standard yellow and I got it from Germany at a really cheap price. My assessment of the LR 1600 is that it would be the same quality you are used to with the LTM 11200s. Good NZG quality.

I also just acquired a Conrad LR 1750. They are nice cranes, however, as far as quality goes most owners spend a ton of money on YCC after market parts to replace plastic pendants (if you are lucky enough to find a set), metal pins to replace plastic pins, etch kits, brass CW trays etc. So you really end up paying a lot more than the crane costs. I really like the LR 1750. It's a beefy crane. But I would rate it a notch below the LR 1600 in quality. Again, JMO.

You should ask Paul Rose about the LTM 1500s since he has about everyone there is, but I do have 4 and they are nice cranes. WSI has a lot of detail in their cranes, but this can be a drawback also as they are definitely not as rugged as the NZG 11200 for example. Handle them with care.

I have a Mammoet LTM 1350, and the livery is the ONLY reason I have a LTM 1350 They are even more delicate a crane than the 1500, and the jibs are crap (IMO).

I don't have a cc3800. I did try to get a Mammoet livery, but failed. I have heard many good and bad things about the 3800, but I will opt out of commenting based on my hearsay only understanding.

If you want a high quality durable crawler crane, I would say get the LR 1600. You can still get them at a fairly reasonable price.

I am not sure this answered your question, but hopefully it helped some.

Best regards.

Don
Paul R
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 5:38:14 AM

Hi Davie,
Each model has its own virtues and drawbacks, but as you have an LTM 11200-9.1 already then I'd be looking at a crawler. In that department the LR 1600/2 is the best in class as far as I am concerned, though probably becoming difficult to find now. The detail and build quality is excellent and very flexible in terms of what configurations you can rig them in. My personal favourite is the heavy lift configuration:

I do not have the CC3800 but know it is not the same detail as the LR 1600/2.

The LTM 1500-8.1 and LTM 1350-6.1 are also a nice mobile cranes with a lot of detail. There have been numerous liveries made (20+) and several are still available. The Global Port Services version will be coming next year and it looks good! But I would also consider the Tadano ATF 400G-6 and ATF 220G-5 as they are also nice models.

AC1000/9 is a big model! Again lacks detail but is built like a brick! Also not so many made and I think only 3 liveries have been done?

Paul R
Davie82
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 8:01:33 AM

@ Don L, thanks! Yeah I was leaning towards the NZG for that very reason. The 11200 is a remarkable model.

@ Paul, thanks for the input. Like you, I'm a big fan of heavy lift configurations and I think the biggest selling point of the LR1600 is the same as the LR1750 - such a versatile model that can be posed in so many ways, plus the benefit of so many extra metal parts.

As for the AC1000, the availability is pretty good at the moment but it is almost the same price as the LR1600 so bit of a no-brainer I think.

So now I have to wait until an LR1600 comes up... hopefully before Chrimbo!
Davie82
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 6:58:30 PM

So I've been doing a fair bit of searching (with help from a few here!) and I found a couple of good deals, but the problem is I'd prefer the model in factory colours and I'm having real trouble finding stock.

Also, a brand new LR1750 came up on ebay and I messaged the guy offering £400, which I thought was pretty reasonable, but he wants near enough £600 for it including shipping. Funny guy!

It made me remember just how much I like that model and I'd probably be quite happy to have it again provided it's a good bit cheaper than the 1600.
admin
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:07:52 AM
Groups: Administration

Vintage Models

Two LR1600's available now!

You just need to look!

Chuck

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:39:39 AM

Yea Chuck has the 1600 on sale right now and he has a Nordic Lg 1750 which is really hard to find.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Don L
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:37:48 AM

Davie82 wrote:
So I've been doing a fair bit of searching (with help from a few here!) and I found a couple of good deals, but the problem is I'd prefer the model in factory colours and I'm having real trouble finding stock.

Also, a brand new LR1750 came up on ebay and I messaged the guy offering £400, which I thought was pretty reasonable, but he wants near enough £600 for it including shipping. Funny guy!

It made me remember just how much I like that model and I'd probably be quite happy to have it again provided it's a good bit cheaper than the 1600.

I am not so sure that it is accurate that LR1750s are cheaper the LR1600s any more. LR1750s are getting harder to find and are pretty pricey. That said, the LR1600s have really jumped up in price themselves in the past 6 months. The Neebs, Wasels and Riga Mainzs are not nearly as available as they were just a few months back. And, if you are looking for a Mammoet or Felbermayr livery then (if you find them) you are talking major bucks. However, the standard Liebherr yellow versions are still out there at a fairly reasonable price.

Good luck.
Davie82
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:26:52 AM

@ Chuck - I did see that you have the LR1600 in stock but shipping + VAT to UK will take price to extreme levels so I have to look within EU.

@ Don L, you're right that prices have gone up. For me it's a personal thing; I'll only offer what something is worth to me (which I did), and if the offer is unsuccessful then so be it.

In any case I have had success and am in the process of ordering a factory livery LR1600 plus a 12m boom extension kit, and I got this significantly cheaper than the LR1750. Smiley
Don L
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 5:30:43 PM

Davie82 wrote:
@ Chuck - I did see that you have the LR1600 in stock but shipping + VAT to UK will take price to extreme levels so I have to look within EU.

@ Don L, you're right that prices have gone up. For me it's a personal thing; I'll only offer what something is worth to me (which I did), and if the offer is unsuccessful then so be it.

In any case I have had success and am in the process of ordering a factory livery LR1600 plus a 12m boom extension kit, and I got this significantly cheaper than the LR1750. Smiley

Glad you were able to get one. I think you will like the LR1600.

Don
Davie82
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:55:41 PM

^ Yep I think I will too!

Unfortunately the exchange rate on the Euro at the moment is terrible, so I cut the boom extensions out of my order. Still, I'm very excited about receiving the crane and I have a number of plans for it in terms of livery repaint and also custom made accessories.

I expect to have the model either by the end of this week or some time next week and will share when I get it. I'm late to the LR1600 party but still very glad to be attending!
Paul R
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 3:33:01 PM

I look forward to seeing your custom made accessories!

Paul R
Davie82
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:31:17 AM

Might have to wait a while I'm afraid Paul - Paypal have decided to interfere in my transaction and have put the payment on hold while they review the transaction. Unbelievable!
Davie82
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 3:54:44 PM

So I had to wait a week - not bad by any means! Big box arrived at 10am this morning.

First impressions: model is beautiful, packing is amazing. It's a very different experience from unpacking a Conrad model for sure... when I carefully removed the packing from the tracks, they simply disintegrated and I had to spend about half an hour putting them back together. Fiddly, but the tracks look amazing so I guess it's a worthy compromise. Also had some trouble putting the etched walkways on the undercarriage as the pins and holes are not correctly aligned... but I got there eventually with some persuasion from pliers.

I do have one more pressing issue (see pics below) and I'm wondering if other 1600 owners have encountered this problem. The heavy lift head has two pulley blocks on it, one with 10 sheaves and the other with 12 sheaves - unusual, but this is normal from what I can tell. A third pulley block supplied separately is also a 12-sheave block, however the one I've been sent has been bent a little out of shape because the pulleys are too wide for the housing, and very clearly wider than the other pulleys used on the heavy lift head.

The pulleys are so wide that they do not turn at all... they have been jammed in there with some force, so unfortunately the part is useless as it is. I'll be contacting NZG for a replacement part... just wondering if this has happened before?

I'll post more pics as the model is reeved and built up.

CmdrByron
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:52:43 AM

Hi Davie82!

Am awaiting a few replacements from NZG with the very same issue. Have already replaced one of the lift heads (only had 10 pulleys), and am awaiting a replacement for top of one of the Luffing Jib Rocking arms (part 29, iirc), where the pulleys were "pinched" together, likely when they pressed the shaft into place. I have foregone mounting the luffing jib until I get the replacement part - no fun if you can only adjust the angle by manually threading the string through several runs (because there is no rotation and friction is a major consideration - you can't just "pull harder"). After some back and forth with the senior design engineer, he agreed that there was likely a defect in the manufacturing process that they were going to look into, specifically that too much force was being employed to insert the shaft to mount the pulleys to the block, hence the "pinching".

There is the possibility that it is intended for one of the 3 lift heads to only have 10, and your instance was simply a matter of a mix-up during assembly of the heavy lift head. Did you know you can remove the lift heads from the lattice frame? The spacings are such that you can opt for a single pulley block in the middle ;)

Additionally, I was informed that I had to wait a little bit for my outstanding replacement part because a new production run of standard-livery LR1600s was underway (which they needed to backfill their spare parts), so hopefully this will see the market replenished for those who do not yet have this beauty in their collection.

Overall, when you consider the complexity of the model, I find these "deviations" to be relatively minor, especially when you factor in NZG's excellent customer service Smiley

Davie82
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 6:58:49 PM

CmdrByron - you make a good point. It's an outstanding model and its misgivings are minor at worst. The detail is incredible, as is the build quality and finish.

I see now that the real machine also has different lift heads on either side (one with 10 sheaves, the other with 12).

I've now assembled the crane in heavy lift configuration minus the main block. Took me six hours to reeve the A-frame, and what a sense of achievement after having done it!

I find that the line NZG supply is of very high quality, but maybe a tad too thick for the scale? Conrad's stuff is much thinner and I don't like the look of it, but I can't deny that it does the job very nicely.

How does NZG's stuff compare to the fabled Musky Master that's no longer made?
Paul R
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 5:47:48 AM

Hi Davie,
In my opinion the NZG line is very similar to musky master so I don’t change it.

Paul R