DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cat D7E question Options · View
GCK3
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:01:45 PM

Groups: Member

With this update and setup, it reminds me of something that I have been wondering for a while. Would the electrical drivetrain of this machine eleminate it from consideration for service as a fire line unit? The new configuration from DM would offer a perfect starting point, just not knowledgeable enough about the electrical components to know if it would be feasible.
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:19:12 PM

As far as I know, yes. I was told by one of the transport drivers (LACO FD) that they have Cat find them a "creampuff" D8R, and then rebuild it from ground up including a new wide cab. But I have also seen some of the other counties and Cal Fire with some newer D6's. Here is a link to the CDOG's group. There are a lot of pictures, including a set on a rebuild.Shhh Applause Ken

https://www.facebook.com/quinncompany/photos/a.180788901948094.50509.180681728625478/1685106911516278/?type=3&theater&ifg=1
3406E
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:14:21 AM

Most of the dozers you see on wildfires are privately owned and working on contract with the forest service. As long as the machine meets the safety requirements and is good working order you can get it signed up for use it on a fire.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 12:32:40 PM

Thats a interesting question you put up here. Electrical and electronical equipment can react pretty bad to high temperatures. The first diesel-electric tractor, the soviet DET-250, was prone to overheat and popping fuses under too hard and hot conditions, providing frequent cigarette breaks for the operator. But that's a 50 year old design. CAT states that the cables of the drive train are extra-armored and the electronical/electric equipment ist shielded, capsuled and liquid cooled to be operative even under the hottest condistions. Is this enough for a forrest fire? I dont know.
JoeE
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:34:38 PM

At no time should you be on a dozer in forest fire service where you are worried about the machine wiring melting before you would in the seat.
Dozers are used to make fire breaks and roads to fight the fire. Normally ahead of an impending fire.
I was on a fire dozer team for a few years.
You do train for the hopefully never happen situations though.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....