DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Kitbash 1:87 KDW material handler. Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 1:45:30 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,

Working on a kit bashed/scratch build of a Caterpillar Muliti-docker in HO. Having a we bit of trouble finding a suitable undercarriage . The piss poor KDW undercarriage is useless & to hard to lengthen to desired length.

Anybody know of an 1:87 undercarriage nearest to a Caterpillar Multi-docker ?

Throwing around the idea of using a Kibri crawler crane undercarriage as a base. Heavily kit-bashed of course. That's all I could think to use besides scratch building the undercarriage.

What your thoughts on Kibri crawler ?

This build is my third bash of one of these KDW toys. They are great starter models to be bashed if your into HO.

(((((( Chuck, if you read this please order some of these 1:87 KDW material handlers. )))))

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:42:49 PM

What about the undercarriage of the Liebherr R992? Here is a pic with figures, so you can judge the size.
Click me
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:48:53 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
What about the undercarriage of the Liebherr R992? Here is a pic with figures, so you can judge the size.
Click me

Thank you.

Didn't even think of the Kibri R992. With a little kit bashing magic her undercarriage will look just fine. Might have to pick up two kits for undercarriage length. I'll bash the houses into scrap yard pedestal hydraulic cranes.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:57:02 PM

If you are talking about a scrap yard this large, what about a nice Komatsu WA700 with puncture proof tires? Have seen a docu about a yard with a 992G and such tires for scrap handling.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:23:47 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
If you are talking about a scrap yard this large, what about a nice Komatsu WA700 with puncture proof tires? Have seen a docu about a yard with a 992G and such tires for scrap handling.

Picked up a Shinsie Caterpillar 992 1/70-1/90ish don't know the exact scale. Just for that very purpose you mentioned above.
Yes, a Kibri Komatsu WA700 would look right at home in my future scrap yard. Scratch building the various
pieces of equipment. For instance, the auto/white goods shredder, conveyors,washing equipment etc. Before building the rest of my HO layout.

It's very time consuming but worth the outcome later.

-Unknown

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:52:02 AM

Sounds fingerlicking good to me. I also really like the idea of convertinge the R992s into pedestal cranes. I remeber you were working on a slag pot carrier or something like this? So you have a very steel related dio. I'm looking forward to see some pictures, it is a lot of work. Have fun!

Cheers
Max
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 11:46:10 AM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
Sounds fingerlicking good to me. I also really like the idea of convertinge the R992s into pedestal cranes. I remeber you were working on a slag pot carrier or something like this? So you have a very steel related dio. I'm looking forward to see some pictures, it is a lot of work. Have fun!

Cheers
Max

Yeah, the R992's pedestal mounted with scratch material handler booms. Added to build list. Some Kibri kits are hard to come across on this side of the pond. R992 is one such kit. Our 1:87 model train distributor Walthers,carry's them but never in stock. I'll find them.

Completed the new HO Kress scrap box carrier. A completely different design than my first build. This one is more imagineered .

I'll post photos when done.

Take care Max.

-Unknown