DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

3J&G 1:50 models collection. Options · View
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2021 6:07:03 PM
Groups: Member

wildpig1234 wrote:
Well, true that you should have the fifth wheel more anteriorly, but don't forget that the jeep is actually already there to support a lot of weight already so you can afford to have the fifth wheel positioned back a little more posteriorly. Please check your DM 4 axle tractor and see if you can push the 5th wheel all the way back and if it will work with the jeep. let me know.. thanks.

To answer your question: yes the rearmost position of the 5th wheel on my DM tractor works with the DM 2-axle jeep.
But again, what is the benefit of having an extra axle on the tractor (and a more costly unit) when you can achieve the same weight transfer with a much simpler 6x4 tractor?

Guy
wildpig1234
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2021 6:21:04 PM

GuyM wrote:
wildpig1234 wrote:
Well, true that you should have the fifth wheel more anteriorly, but don't forget that the jeep is actually already there to support a lot of weight already so you can afford to have the fifth wheel positioned back a little more posteriorly. Please check your DM 4 axle tractor and see if you can push the 5th wheel all the way back and if it will work with the jeep. let me know.. thanks.

To answer your question: yes the rearmost position of the 5th wheel on my DM tractor works with the DM 2-axle jeep.
But again, what is the benefit of having an extra axle on the tractor (and a more costly unit) when you can achieve the same weight transfer with a much simpler 6x4 tractor?

Guy

Wheels!!! I want more wheels!!! Lots and lotsa wheels!! ;)

Also, I notice your jeep has 3 axles, where did you get that 3 axle jeep from? is it custom made?

Which DM 4 axle tractor did you test it with btw? maybe i will check it out too
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 5:18:07 AM

wildpig1234 wrote:
[...] Also, I notice your jeep has 3 axles, where did you get that 3 axle jeep from? is it custom made?

Which DM 4 axle tractor did you test it with btw? maybe i will check it out too

The 3-axle jeep was custom-made from a conventional DM 2-axle jeep with parts of the single-axle rear booster modified and added, like the XL 80 JPS tridem jeep dolly below:

To check for compatibility with the 2-axle jeep, I have used the International HX620 8x6/2 tridem tractor (left). I know that this architecture is also produced by DM in Caterpillar, Kenworth and Western Star versions.
DM also offer a more conventional 8x4 tractor with its liftable 2nd single axle (right): I think that this one will accept the 2-axle jeep as it seems to be a 6x4 with additional payload possible, thanks to its additional axle added:

I hope this helps.
Guy

wildpig1234
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 9:14:19 AM

The track width on the booster is a little wider than the jeep. I removed the wheel assembly from the one axle booster and placed it onto jeep. not seeing how i can screw it in. How did you do yours? I guess i can always superglue it?

I guess i can use part from another jeep? maybe even make a 4 axle jeep? lol

George Hiram
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 12:48:49 PM

Check out KEYSTONE DIECAST FOR 2 OR 3 AXLE JEEPS.ALAN SMITH MADE THESE FOR YEARS ,AND HAS SOLD THE MASTERS TO BUTCH DIGGINS WHO OWNS KEYSTONE DIECAST.
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 1:38:28 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:
The track width on the booster is a little wider than the jeep. I removed the wheel assembly from the one axle booster and placed it onto jeep. not seeing how i can screw it in. How did you do yours? I guess i can always superglue it? [...]

Wildpig1234,

For an unknown reason, tracks of both stingers are slightly wider than the jeep's one. The rear stinger single axle suspension assembly was simply cut in the middle and filed to obtain the same width, then both parts were glued in place:

Or as mentioned by George, another way is to get a white metal kit of a 3-axle jeep dolly, made by Keystone Diecast using ex-A. Smith molds: but that is more expensive!

Regards.
Guy
wildpig1234
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 3:10:37 PM

GuyM wrote:
wildpig1234 wrote:
The track width on the booster is a little wider than the jeep. I removed the wheel assembly from the one axle booster and placed it onto jeep. not seeing how i can screw it in. How did you do yours? I guess i can always superglue it? [...]

Wildpig1234,

For an unknown reason, tracks of both stingers are slightly wider than the jeep's one. The rear stinger single axle suspension assembly was simply cut in the middle and filed to obtain the same width, then both parts were glued in place:

Or as mentioned by George, another way is to get a white metal kit of a 3-axle jeep dolly, made by Keystone Diecast using ex-A. Smith molds: but that is more expensive!

Regards.
Guy

Are you able to post a straight down shot like the one i post? I would like to see more details of the mod. thanks.

Also on ebay i see they are selling 3 axle booster custom dolly as well. This would make 3x3x3 trailer ;) too bad DM doesn't make a 4 axle trailer! or is there a way to custom made one? ;)
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2021 5:13:05 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:
[...] Are you able to post a straight down shot like the one i post? I would like to see more details of the mod. thanks.

Also on ebay i see they are selling 3 axle booster custom dolly as well. This would make 3x3x3 trailer ;) too bad DM doesn't make a 4 axle trailer! or is there a way to custom made one? ;)

Wildpig1234,

Sorry but I have no other picture of the custom-made 3-axle jeep dolly.
I have seen a few on e... as well, mainly custom-made from 1/53 Tonkin or 1/50 Conrad, First Gear or Joal lowboys, but the only "true" jeep dolly I know is the one originally built by A. Smith Models, now possibly available from Keystone Diecast. Here below is the A. Smith's one, cut down to a 2-axle form as part of a Texaco Kalyn-Siebert 2+4 heavy transport unit, waiting to be painted:

Should you wish to modify a lowboy unit, then I would suggest DM XL units, as they can be upgraded in many ways, because they always offer dual + single-axle stingers to go with the basic lowboy: just have a look through XL Specialized website to define the right one.

I hope this helps.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2021 5:31:54 AM

Recent exchanges with "wildpig1234" triggered the following post.

In the US, transport to a Gulf of Mexico harbor of an oil business investigation pocket submarine:

Kenworth W925 6x4/2 tractor (modified Corgi model, 5th wheel to be painted) and Kalyn 4-axle ultra-low bed semi-trailer with 2-axle jeep dolly (modified Hartsmith kit, to be painted) carrying an unknown brand mini submarine (modified Corgi load, wooden support to be painted)

Regards.
Guy
wildpig1234
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2021 8:15:35 AM

lol.... midget sub ;) and now you also have me start looking for a 4 axle lowboy for my DM tractor ;)
GuyM
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2021 11:54:48 AM

Wildpig1234,

If you ever go for a 4-axle US lowboy, may I suggest the Rogers Ultima 3+1 model (from, either Sword or WSI), probably the best "quality-for-value" 4-axle low bed semi-trailer on the 1/50 market these days:

Cheers.
Guy

wildpig1234
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2021 10:17:02 PM

will these 4 axle lowboys work with DM tractor fifth wheel?
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2021 5:23:22 AM

wildpig1234 wrote:
will these 4 axle lowboys work with DM tractor fifth wheel?

They will not fit as the "Sword-type" king pin of the Rogers is larger than those fitted on Diecast Masters trailers.
One easy way is to remove the original Rogers pin and to replace it by a king pin similar in size with DM's.
Another way (more difficult) is to increase the DM tractor 5th wheel opening so it can accept the Sword/WSI Rogers king pin.

Should you prefer not to alter any of both units, then the only way is to select a DM XL Specialized lowboy to go with your DM tractor.

I hope this helps.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2021 7:19:02 AM

Fabrication in progress of two 50s/60s US lowboys, both built from the mid-90s Joal lowloader:

- top: Mack B 576ST 6x6/2 tractor with winch (modified Vitesse model, wheels to be painted) with Foster Trailer 1-axle "jo dog" dolly (*) (homemade, to be painted) and King 3-axle semi-trailer with extra-low bed (modified Joal model, to be painted) carrying a 35.8 tonnes Caterpillar 988 4x4 articulated wheeled loader (NZG model),
- bottom: Mack B 613ST 6x4/2 tractor with winch (modified Corgi model, to be painted) and Hyster 3-axle semi-trailer with extra-low bed (modified Joal model, to be painted), loaded with a 35.5 tonnes Caterpillar D9G bulldozer with ripper (Gescha model)

Note (*): the "jo dog" dolly, solidly linked to the tractor (which rear chassis was stuck within dolly chassis once this one was attached to its fifth wheel) allowed, at minimal cost, to increase payload on tractor fifth wheel and to modify any 3-axle truck into a 8x4/2 tractor (or 8x6/2 for the unit above).

Regards.
Guy

GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:21:43 AM

Trailor tipping semi-trailer (MiniCams kit), now part of Jean-Jacques' 1/50 Tama construction company fleet:

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 5:16:31 AM

Pretty rare in the 1/50 modeling world, mainly dedicated to transport, plant and craneage equipment, 2 cars produced in that scale by the German toy manufacturer Siku:

- at front: BMW i8 CLI 4x2/2 car (Siku model),
- at rear: all-terrain Mercedes-Benz E Class 220D 4WD 4x4/2 SUV (Siku model).

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 5:20:45 AM

The hybrid sports car (fossil fuel engine: 231Hp, electrical engine: 131Hp) produced by BMW:

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 5:24:04 AM

The more conventional Mercedes-Benz all-terrain SUV:

Regards.
Guy
wildpig1234
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 12:21:23 AM

Triple axle times 4....lol ;)

Now we are talking heavy haulage! Maybe enough axles for a cat D11?

GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 12:41:19 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:
Triple axle times 4....lol ;)

Now we are talking heavy haulage! Maybe enough axles for a cat D11? [...]

Wildpig1234,

Nice US heavy haulage set!

Guy