DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

3J&G 1:50 models collection. Options · View
Exkvate3140
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 10:25:22 AM
Groups: Member

Guy do you see any of the Pingon excavators working over there in France or any historical organizations that have them in working order. That machine is growing on me.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 11:16:01 AM

Steve,

I haven't seen any of these excavators working, but I know that a few are still in working condition.
A video showing 2 machines being loaded in 2011 for sale or restoration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJBaLYXrGU

The only Pingon I have ever seen was working as a crane, like the one in this video, still operating with Balestra Company a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8gy0L4RPDM

Regards.
Guy
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 12:57:18 AM

Guy great videos, that is a very unique machine. Thanks.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:22:13 AM

A few pictures of Bourgey Montreuil combinations, seen on the French magazine "Charge Utile" special edition dedicated to French vintage heavy haulage:

triggered the modification of that Coder semi-trailer, produced in the sixties par France Jouets in a 1/60 scale with a Pacific M26 armored tractor:

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:29:59 AM

Diamond T M20-981 6x4/2 tractor (modified Corgi Heritage model) and 2-line Coder spine low bed semi-trailer with 1-line front jeep dolly (modified France Jouets model)

As a bonus, another picture of the semi-trailer, built by Coder in their Marseille manufacturing premises:

Regards.
Guy
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 1:53:41 PM

WOW Guy, this last posts are extremely interesting. What a crazy looking armored tractor. Thanks for more terrific models. Craig
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:42:09 PM

Craig,

Ex-Army Pacific tractors (both armored and soft cabs versions) dominated the French heavy haulage scene for many years, as they were powerful and cheap to buy second-hand.
Any reputable heavy haulage company had to have at least one of them, with Bourgey Montreuil (and later STSI) operating several of these:

I hope this helps.
Guy

Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:01:21 PM

Guy great pictures of heavy haul rigs, I really like that Diamond T tractor with that Lowbed.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:33:14 AM

For completeness, a few of the numerous Pacific/Coder combinations produced by France Jouets:

The model was declined by FJ in all sorts of versions, both military and civilian: I managed to get 2 of them, which trailers were modified into 1/50 models (I'll show the 2nd one soon).
Both tractors ended in Scotland, in the collection of a friend of mine focusing on 1/60 military models.

Pictures from "Titi83 Blog".

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:26:31 AM

GuyM wrote:
[...] The model was declined by France Jouets in all sorts of versions, both military and civilian: I managed to get 2 of them, which trailers were modified into 1/50 models (I'll show the 2nd one soon) [...]

Second modification of the France Jouets low bed semi-trailer, temporarily towed by the same STAG company Diamond T:

Diamond T M20-981 6x4/2 tractor (modified Corgi Heritage model) and Verdy(*) 2-line low bed semi-trailer (modified France Jouets model) loading a Caterpillar D9G bulldozer with ripper (Gescha model)

Note (*): Verdy was a small equipment manufacturer - disappeared today - building trailers and semi-trailers in the Pau region (SW of France) for the oil and gas industry, the French Army and for their own transport company TSP (Transports Speciaux Pyreneens).

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:46:21 AM

Born and living at that time in South-West of France, I had the opportunity to model some of Verdy's units, including their Berliet TBO15 and their 2+2-axle long load dolly, at a time when Solido was the only model company producing a French heavy haulage tractor (pity that the model was at a slightly smaller scale than 1/50):

Berliet TBO 15 6x4/2 tractor with bolster (modified Solido model) and Verdy 2+2-axle long load dolly, loaded with a John Zink Co refinery furnace exhaust built by CICS (homemade model and load)

The picture of a TSP combination that was at the (free) origin of both models. An ex-US Army Mack 6x6 truck can be seen towing a 2-line Verdy low loader (presented above) and a 2+2-axle Verdy long load dolly (shown here), carrying a 80 tonnes sulfur plant gas condenser unit in Lacq (France):

Regards.
Guy

Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:09:42 AM

Guy great heavy haul set up.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:10:05 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Guy great heavy haul set up.
Steve

Stevie Old Boy: Notice how the D9G is loaded?

Guy; Those are great looking models. The Diamond T with rear loading trailer is terrific. Thanks,Craig
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 1:37:19 PM

Q common sense prevails in that set up, because it wouldn’t fit if backed on. The ripper would hit the frame on the “T”. Remember the majority of weight over the axles. Who are you calling old, I think you were born before dirt, I may shrink your Freightliner after that comment and send a box trailer instead of a lowbed.
I heard there was a Silver Alert in Matthews, NC did you get lost on the way back to senior center. Don’t forget dinner time at 1:30pm, Gerber’s and Ensure and maybe if you finish that some banana pudding.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 3:44:06 PM

[quote=Exkvate3140]Q common sense prevails in that set up, because it wouldn’t fit if backed on. The ripper would hit the frame on the “T”. Remember the majority of weight over the axles. Who are you calling old, I think you were born before dirt, I may shrink your Freightliner after that comment and send a box trailer instead of a lowbed.
I heard there was a Silver Alert in Matthews, NC did you get lost on the way back to senior center. Don’t forget dinner time at 1:30pm, Gerber’s and Ensure and maybe if you finish that some banana pudding.
Steve[/quote

So smart guy, tell me how the weight is distributed on the above setup. The majority of the weight of the D9 is in the middle. I'll wait for your answer cause I know you have to haul some equipment after midnite.
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:17:29 PM

Quinella wrote:
[...] tell me how the weight is distributed on the above setup. The majority of the weight of the D9 is in the middle. [...]

Craig,

As far as I know, basic Cat D9G weight was around 35.5 tonnes: assuming that half of it was distributed on the 5th wheel and half on the 45 tonnes capacity semi-trailer 2-line rear bogie, I think that the Diamond T could easily handle it.
Heavy haulage contractors didn't care much about weight distribution in those days (there was no weighbridge on European road network at that time), which is not the case anymore today:

I hope this helps.
Guy
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 9:22:17 PM

Thanks Guy: Steve thinks every dozer should be backed onto a rear loading trailer. I realize that the weight should be over the axles, but in the case of a two axle rear loading trailer, it's difficult to do that. So why not drive it forward onto the trailer? He thinks you should back everything onto the trailer. What difference does that make? As you probably already know, he's weird!! Craig
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:26:13 AM

Modification in progress of a few Diecast Masters models issued recently.
If both tractors seem perfectly modeled (opening engine hoods and cab doors, sliding fifth wheels, etc), semi-trailers are far from being perfect:
- the container semi was fitted with folding standing legs and with a cyclist protection device (something which - as far as I know - is not commonly developed in USA),
- the reefer semi was equipped with folding legs as well, with an impressive chassis (partially hidden behind aerodynamics side spoilers) and rear tandem mudguards.

- Left: International LoneStar 270/550 6X4/2 tractor and Clark Trailer Combo 20-40 12-Pin container carrier 3-axle semi-trailer (modified Diecast Msters models) loaded with a 40' maritime container (Diecast Masters model),
- right: Freightliner Cascadia 126 Aerox 6X4/2 tractor and Stoughton PureBlue 53 CR 2-axle 53' reefer (modified Diecast Masters models).

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:31:04 AM

The Clark Trailer container carrier that could have inspired the Hong Kong model producer:

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:36:51 AM

The Stoughton 53' reefer used to improve the DM 1/50 model:

Regards.
Guy