DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI VS Sword? Options · View
Claus
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 1:45:17 PM

Groups: Member

Sorry I have been away from the hobby for a while. I have several Sword Peterbilt trucks. I just ordered a WSI Pete with lowboy and a second lowboy, obviously have not received them yet. Is there any difference between WSI and the Sword models? I have noticed the skirts on the bottom of the cab and hood are chrome on the Sword Pete and not on the WSI. Thanks.
Quinella
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 4:16:22 PM

Claus: Which color did you buy? Some WSI versions have chrome, others like red, are matched to the same color as the cab. I liked the Sword models better. They were done by TWH for Sword. I think they have a crisper feel than WSI Petes. I know the WSI version has plastic wheels versus metal wheels by TWH. The TWH wheels get tarnished. My opinion. CAW
heavyload
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 5:09:09 PM

Same moulds different artworks. WSI use Chuck tools. Material may vary on some parts like CAW is telling

Luc.
Claus
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 5:24:13 PM

Trucks are Red. Bought a Red 379 with 3 axle Rogers and an additional Red 4 axle Rogers. Have to say the plastic parts are a huge bummer in my opinion. But luckily I have a bunch of the originals already on the shelf.
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 10:52:35 PM

Hi Claus. CAW pretty much summed it up. I have a Premay KW C500, it is fantastic. Not one flaw in it anywhere. Whistle Ken

mikebramel
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 12:37:03 AM

Not sure about the peterbilts, the WSI C500 are still really nice. But the T800 are sad compared to the swords
3406E
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:20:47 AM

I prefer the Sword versions as well. The chrome has a little more shine to it on the WSI versions and the paint used are different shades than the original Sword versions. It was also nice that the Sword versions came with an extra set of mirrors. For the most part when they're sitting on the shelf you won't notice most of the minor differences between them.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Claus
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:00:13 AM

mikebramel wrote:
Not sure about the peterbilts, the WSI C500 are still really nice. But the T800 are sad compared to the swords

What did they do to the T800W?
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:06:36 PM

Hi Claus, a couple differences I noticed between them were the way they are packaged, as soon as I saw this I was expecting the WSI models to be very cheap but they are not. (can’t judge a book by its cover)The extra mirrors and choice of air horns are not included with the WSI models which was already mentioned along with the tire rims being plastic as opposed to metal. The actual tires remind me of plastic as opposed to rubber. One thing I noticed on the WSI Lowbed’s is that the fifth wheel pin is thicker than the Sword pin. I noticed this after I built a Jeep for the Lowbed’s and I used a Sword Rogers Lowbed to fit the fifth wheel for the Jeep. I made it so the fifth wheel pin would snap in and when I tried to put a WSI Lowbed into and it would not fit. So when I put both goosenecks together I could actually see that the WSI was thicker, this is just an observation it really does not detract from the actual model. I have to say however that I am partial to the Sword models.
Steve
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 1:46:35 AM

Claus wrote:
mikebramel wrote:

What did they do to the T800W?

The red and white sets are completely different shades than the Sword versions. The white is almost gut wrenching, it's like a creamy white.
mikebramel
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 12:35:19 AM

That is the biggest dissapointment. The pictures you see posted on this web site for the red and white T800 s are very misleading. False advertising. The red is more like maroon and it really makes the wheels look cheap. The whole truck is really light compared to the old ones, not sure if the frames are plastic now? Honestly it isn't a whole lot better than a First Gear kenworth. Atleast these new ones brought down the Sword prices
3406E
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 1:31:20 AM

Here is a comparison of the two shades of white. Old Sword white on the left and new WSI white on the right.

Clifton
Claus
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 3:18:20 AM

3406E wrote:
Here is a comparison of the two shades of white. Old Sword white on the left and new WSI white on the right.

That looks like a detergent commercial, "Do your underwear look more yellow than white?".d'oh!
GC1
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 5:51:07 AM

One probably has a grey undercoat and the other white....??
Quinella
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 11:08:48 AM

I actually like the creamy white better. But the new red on the KWs is not really colorful. More like a persimmon. I'm not really a fan of the T-800 in either version. The only Sword T-800 I have is the Mammoet. The Petes were a much better model IMO. I guess to complete the KW series, we now need a W900. CAW
Brad
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 7:34:56 PM

I am with Quinella on the pearl white.I think it’s closer to most real trucks around here. As far as the Pete’s,the “chrome” on the WSI is definitely brighter. The wheels are plastic and could benefit from being drilled out like the old ASAM wheels And the skirt behind the front fender on the WSI is painted which I prefer over the chrome on the Sword. I think it sets the tanks off more. IMHO you can’t hardly tell them apart until you pick them up. PS the T800 is a T800W
3406E
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:19:25 AM

Brad wrote:
...And the skirt behind the front fender on the WSI is painted which I prefer over the chrome on the Sword. I think it sets the tanks off more.

That must vary depending on which one you buy. I have a Superior, a white and a blue Pete made by WSI and all three have the chrome behind the front fender.

Clifton
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:24:07 AM

3406E wrote:
Brad wrote:
...And the skirt behind the front fender on the WSI is painted which I prefer over the chrome on the Sword. I think it sets the tanks off more.

That must vary depending on which one you buy. I have a Superior, a white and a blue Pete made by WSI and all three have the chrome behind the front fender.

Claus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:26:13 AM

Looks like the lowboy is also missing the electrical and air hook ups between the neck and the deck, those were always a PIA anyways. Will know tomorrow when my models are delivered.
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:04:44 AM

Claus wrote:
Looks like the lowboy is also missing the electrical and air hook ups between the neck and the deck, those were always a PIA anyways. Will know tomorrow when my models are delivered.

No Claus, the holes for the lines are there in the new versions. Also, I have the original "Wendt", "Superior", "Mammoet", and red Sword Pete, and all have a chrome skirt. I happen to like the chrome so that preference varies. I don't know what the price was on the original Sword Petes. Someone mentioned that the newer versions were cheaper. I can understand that. They don't stack up to the older ones IMO. CAW