DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI VS Sword? Options · View
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:09:31 AM

Groups: Member

Quinella wrote:
Claus wrote:
Looks like the lowboy is also missing the electrical and air hook ups between the neck and the deck, those were always a PIA anyways. Will know tomorrow when my models are delivered.

No Claus, the holes for the lines are there in the new versions. Also, I have the original "Wendt", "Superior", "Mammoet", and red Sword Pete, and all have a chrome skirt. I happen to like the chrome so that preference varies. I don't know what the price was on the original Sword Petes. Someone mentioned that the newer versions were cheaper. I can understand that. They don't stack up to the older ones IMO. CAW

I don't mean between the tractor and the trailer, I'm talking about between the lowboy neck and the lowboy deck. I don't see the lines in the photo above.
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:20:17 PM

Yes Claus they are there. I looked at all my WSI lowboys and the three lines and holes are there. Craig
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:21:49 PM

Quinella wrote:
Yes Claus they are there. I looked at all my WSI lowboys and the three lines and holes are there. Craig

Thank you Sir.
admin
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:56:15 PM
Groups: Administration

Interesting post. Here are a few facts...

- The original Sword Models were researched, designed. licensed and approved by Sword Models over 12 years ago. Sword Models is the manufacturing arm of DHS Diecast.

- DHS helped TWH get into the model business and they researched where and how to get the models made.

- TWH was Sword Models original broker and their engineers (guys who have since started Fire Replicas and Weiss Brothers) were very dedicated to our high-end, all metal diecast, exquisitely detailed over-the-top design. I think we drove them crazy with what we wanted to build, but they were game and we came out with what I believe were some of the best models available.

- Note that at the time, Alan Smith was the only model manufacturer making US Truck Models (they were 1:48 scale). And Alan was not making as many models as he was slowing production. That is why we chose to focus on USA truck models.

- First Gear had never ventured into the 1:50 scale arena or had opening doors and hoods until we came out with our Mack Granite.

- When TWH went broke, the Sword Model Tooling was mixed in with the TWH model tooling and, because TWH owed the factory a lot of money, all of the tooling stayed with the factory.

- As WSI is partially owned by this factory and wanted to create a WSI USA line of models, we started to work with them to bring the Sword Models back out in various new colors.

- We never tried to match the old colors or decorations as this was a new line of trucks and trailers.

- The WSI/Sword models are made from the same tooling.

- The WSI/Sword models are made in the same factory.

- Packaging is different to fit into the WSI Model Boxes.

- We believe only the wheels have been changed from metal to plastic. (This was not by our choice but lowered the cost of the models - and we were not informed of this change).

- Otherwise, the models should be identical.

Chuck
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:35:46 PM

No No Chuckie. Uncle Roy was making the Conrad International trucks back then. I do believe Corgi was still making the Kenworth W900A and the International Transtar. And Tonkin was making American trucks in 1:53. If the year was 2006, you were not the only one making American trucks. Remember, I taught you everything about trucks! CAW

But remember, no one has come close to your original Sword trucks. They are still the best ever made IMO. Highest quality, most detail, and right price.
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:09:42 PM

I got my new truck and lowboys today. I am very pleased. The first one is a Red Pete and three axle lowboy. It is very nice, after seeing it I kind of like the red cab skirts just to have a subtle difference on a truck. As for the plastic wheels, they are very bright and look very nice, really can't complain. The other lowboy is a Red 4 axle flip, I didn't understand when I made the purchase but the seller split a 4 axle lowboy/tractor combo up, even cut the box in half. That lowboy is the almost Rust Red Color. I understand now that Sword/WSI wasn't really trying to match all the reds but unfortunately for me it looks ugly behind a Red truck.
Claus
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:16:11 AM

New in front, old in back. That brings me to 13 Sword Petes and 1 WSI/Sword Pete.. None of the Macks or Kenworths. I sold off 4 Sword Petes 9 years ago to support another hobby.

admin
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:42:52 PM
Groups: Administration

Quin,

Of course I forgot what you taught me - it was so long ago! My apologies as Roy was getting the International's made and there was some Corgi still being sold. You are correct sir!

Chuck