DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Conrad International truck models Options · View
RFSALES
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 4:37:39 PM
Groups: Member

In 1998 Roger Hull convinced me that I needed to make the trip to Germany for TOY FAIR to meet the folks at NZG and Conrad In person. While at Toy Fair I had discussions with Gunther Conrad about getting a newer American class 8 truck.
Mr. Conrad advised he would foot the tooling bill and charge me the tooling in each model produced. This was good for me but I was limited to using exiting Conrad bodies and trailers.
Mr. Conrad told me if I got the license he would make the truck. When I returned I called contacts I had at the International Truck design center in Fort Wayne, IN.
At the time there were no 1/50 International trucks being made. I told them about conversation with Mr. Conrad and I wanted to make a Paystar model. I was advised to call back in a couple hours and when I did I was given the name and phone number for the International patent attorney.
I called and with relative ease I was given a license and with the help of the folks of the design center was provided with drawings that I forwarded to Mr. Conrad.
In May 1998 my wife and I went to Germany and meet with Mr. Conrad to layout plans models.
I was able to spend ½ day in the model/casting shop with Mr. Conrad’s brother watching the die making progress and casting process.
My wife was with me and she was less than thrilled to be there !
The International models were a success as there were no other American trucks on the market.
The Talbert 3 axle lowboy was available and later Conrad tooled the Talbert drop deck trailer.
The Paystar was getting old so Conrad tooled the 5600i to replace it.
Mr. Conrad advised that during the course of production about 15,000 total models were produced.
RMS Models
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 6:08:22 PM

RFSALES,

Thanks for you efforts in getting the collector an American Class 8 truck in 1:50 at that time. As well as everything you else did for the hobby while proprietor of Roy Ferguson Sales.

Randy
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 8:53:52 PM

Hi Roy, thank you for the background information, and having the motivation to invest to have these International models produced. Although I do not own too many truck models in my collection, the Internationals 5600I's, and the 7000I's are by far my favorite ones. I am still looking for the 5600I and Talbert lowboy in White/Red though to complete my International White truck collection.

Ones I got. Going to get some in different colors now too.

5000 Dump Truck

5600I Tractor With Dump Trailer

7000I Trash Truck

This is one of the most recent International models made

And as a bonus, a Freightliner COE with Talbert Lowboy, I always thought you helped to get these trucks developed too.

Although I am not too big a fan of liveried models, I was always Anticipating to see someone do some of these trucks in City of Philadelphia Colors. They have always been huge International and Freightliner owners. They had a large fleet of 5000 Paystars as Trash Trucks, dump trucks and tractors to pull lowboys, live floor trailers, and dump trailers. They auctioned off a good amount of these trucks last year.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

Quinella
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 8:59:11 PM

So RFSALES, are you bragging or complaining, you old flatfoot? If I hadn't bought 5,000 trucks off of you, you wouldn't be in Las Vegas, retired and shooting BB guns at the carnival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Paystar is still one of the best trucks ever made!! Want to buy one from me? CAW
RFSALES
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 11:22:19 PM

The Freightliner and Mack models along with the 3 axle Talbert low boy were available when I started selling Conrad in 1982. The 3 axle Talbert lowboy was the work of Bob Knickerbocker, an agent for Dallas and Mavis operating from East Peoria, IL. Bob got Conrad to produce the lowboy and it was available with the Freightliner and Mack tractors. Conrad never had a license with Freightliner or Mack and this caused problems when Mack told U.S. customs to seize any incoming models from Conrad. I had a shipment seized and had a hard time convincing Mack that the load would be returned to Germany, Mack wanted the load crushed.
The dump body used on the Paystars was one Conrad had tooled for a Volvo model that never happened, I thought it looked like a coal body and I did not want to use it but I got over ruled.

I know Conrad has continued to issue a few International models after I let the license lapse and the Setter mixer shown above is one of those.
JoeE
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 8:16:42 AM

Cool and interesting backstories Roy!

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 3:07:33 PM

Roy very interesting history. How long was the the total process from the time Roger convinced you to build them until your first shipment arrived? Also I own 4 of the Mack’s and a couple of the Frieghtliners, will the Mack police arrive at my front door with a sledge hammer or am I safe. It is nice to know that you guys including Chuck put a lot of time and effort into a hooby a lot of us crazy people with understanding spouses Who put up with us, like.
Thank you very much.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 5:49:50 PM

Thanks Roy for the interesting model history. I have always like the Conrad trucks, especially for customizing. Here are some pictures of a Paystar house mover I built.

House Mover G by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

House Mover B by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

House Mover A by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

House Mover D by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

House Mover C by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

House Mover E by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 6:05:36 PM

More Conrad Mack, Freightliner, and a Paystar pictures.

IMG_0431 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0432 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0433 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0436 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0424 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0427 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0437 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 6:13:57 PM

This is one of my favorites. I owned a real Freightliner identical to the Conrad model. I pulled a Talbert 3 axle lowboy and hauled Barber Green equipment to and from their Service Center in Aurora, Illinois.

IMG_0428 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

IMG_0430 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Quinella
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 8:22:32 PM

Great pictures of the old Conrad haulers there Ken. If I could figure out Flickr, I would post mine. Most of mine are tricked out. I am a cabover freak, so the "Freightshaker" is my favorite. Maybe I could send my pics to you! Craig
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 8:41:21 PM

Nice trucksApplause Looking good.Like the house mover.Freightshaker,LOL.Always liked the look of cabovers,Whatever make.Would love to see Quinella's 'tricked out' trucks.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 8:53:39 PM

I customized a Paystar into a precast delivery truck with a Palfinger crane and built a remote for the crane operator. Also made a couple of them into tri axle tractors. I have a newer style International I made into a form truck with an old Conrad crane that was originally on a log truck. They are not to bad to tear down and paint and work on. The first Paystars they came out with have a real heavy duty look to them. I to am incapable of posting pictures on this forum.
Steve
Campmb
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 9:06:11 PM

Got to see Ken's Paystar housemover at a past openhouse. Great work on that rig, Ken. Mike
Quinella
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 11:24:40 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Nice trucksApplause Looking good.Like the house mover.Freightshaker,LOL.Always liked the look of cabovers,Whatever make.Would love to see Quinella's 'tricked out' trucks.

I am more than happy to post pictures if I can figure out Flickr. Just when I was getting up to snuff with Photobucket, they started charging mucho money. Then I got a new computer and I am trying to figure out Windows 10. I'm too old for this baloney. I'll try to get some help. CAW