DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Disaster at Vermeer plant in Iowa!!! Options · View
dain555
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 9:53:27 AM

Groups: Member

Please send prayers to all at the Vermeer company. Apparently they had a direct hit by a tornado yesterday, Thursday 19 July 18. It was reported that at least 7 people were injured but thankfully no one died. According to their web site and news reports their plant 5 and 6 have significant structural damage and a couple others minor. Check here for story and some pictures.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 10:09:35 AM

Thank you I didnt know. Prayers sent.
dain555
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 4:11:25 PM

Fortunately no one died and there were several other places that got hit!! I hope that all who went through this are good and it will be a long road ahead for them to rebuild.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

dain555
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 1:31:25 PM

From information I found it is a confirmed EF-3 that hit the Vermeer company and 2 of the buildings are a complete loss as was their waste facility. They were extremely lucky that only 7 got minor injuries as there were over 400 visitors there along with all the normal employees!!

It just shows the destruction that can happen from a storm. Please if you live in an area where these storms happen don't take any warnings for granted!!!!๐ŸŒ€๐ŸŒ€โšกโšก

Dain

RFSALES
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 2:40:00 PM

I was Marion County Deputy Sheriff from 1972 to 1976 and lived in Pella, less than 1 miles south west of the Vermeer plant.
Marshalltown got hit worse tornado hit middle of town.
dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 11:40:23 AM

Heading down to Marshaltown in few days to help out as I'm a volunteer with the veteran based, disaster response group,Team Rubicon. Call went out yesterday morning for heavy equipment operators, sawyers, and the rest of the crews.

I"m in Wisconsin, but I know people down in the area, and am thankful that we have such a solid group that is able to respond so quickly. It's always hard to see this happen locally, but the Midwest has a solid community and history of taking care of our neighbors.

Everyone wants to help when these sorts of things happen and anyone really can. Not necessarily trying to recruit for my organization, but we are a hands on response group that is supported by Case Equipment, Stihl supports all our cutting crews, and a handful of other companies that get us what we need. Everyone has a place with us. If you feel like being of service to others and can respond to events like this, email me with any questions, or simply look into our organization. www.teamrubiconusa.org

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

dain555
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:20:34 PM

dirtboy wrote:
Heading down to Marshaltown in few days to help out as I'm a volunteer with the veteran based, disaster response group,Team Rubicon. Call went out yesterday morning for heavy equipment operators, sawyers, and the rest of the crews.

I"m in Wisconsin, but I know people down in the area, and am thankful that we have such a solid group that is able to respond so quickly. It's always hard to see this happen locally, but the Midwest has a solid community and history of taking care of our neighbors.

Everyone wants to help when these sorts of things happen and anyone really can. Not necessarily trying to recruit for my organization, but we are a hands on response group that is supported by Case Equipment, Stihl supports all our cutting crews, and a handful of other companies that get us what we need. Everyone has a place with us. If you feel like being of service to others and can respond to events like this, email me with any questions, or simply look into our organization. www.teamrubiconusa.org

As a Disabled Cold War Veteran who was a member of the USAF Prime BEEF team I would like to thank you for your service for this. The Prime BEEF team is a Base Emergency Engineering Force that comprises members of the Civil Engineering Squadrons of all different occupations, from the building maintenance occupations to the airfield maintenance occupations, I was in pavement maintenance so we would repair any runway or taxiway damage. The USAF also has what they call RED Horse teams who go in as combat engineers to establish new bases in places where there never was one.

Before my time in the USAF I was a volunteer firefighter (from 76 to 78) and was also a member of another department in 1984 to 86.

Again I hope that all are fine and that they can return to something like normal.

Dain

dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:52:06 PM

Also cut my teeth with the USAF years back as a P&G guy. Started out with the 56th Civil Engineers and later on 115th CES. It's been a good baseline as an operator over the years and ties into the training guidlines Team Rubicon has for it's own operators.

We're a pretty vast group. Upwards of 80,000 people now, but all are welcome to step into the arena and help.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

dain555
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 1:55:16 PM

dirtboy wrote:
Also cut my teeth with the USAF years back as a P&G guy. Started out with the 56th Civil Engineers and later on 115th CES. It's been a good baseline as an operator over the years and ties into the training guidlines Team Rubicon has for it's own operators.

We're a pretty vast group. Upwards of 80,000 people now, but all are welcome to step into the arena and help.

I was in the 42nd CES P&G at Loring AFB, Maine from 79 to 81, I also worked railroad maintenance too as it was part of P&G. I was even trained as a brakeman on the locomotive we had at Loring so we could run coal cars from Limestone to the base and back. During the winter months (November to April) I plowed snow. Unfortunately Loring closed down in 95 as part of Congress's base closing plans. Now it stands for the most part as a ghost town even though parts are still used.

Dain

BPMfore
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 3:26:26 PM

Dirt boy and Dain, thank you for your service then and what you guys do now.
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:14:20 PM

BPMfore wrote:
Dirt boy and Dain, thank you for your service then and what you guys do now.

Thank you, and where about in Upstate NY are you from BPMfore???

Dain