DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Any zinc pest issues ever seen with NZG or YCC models? I assume not but I think its an interesting point Options · View
Uzair
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 5:41:23 AM

Groups: Member

I am starting to get more NZG and YCC cranes, and was wondering if there is any risk of these models developing zinc pest/zinc rot at some point in the future. The models are quite expensive, not cheap diecast models and hence I think this is an important question. From what I've been able to find here on DHS forums and elsewhere there is no recorded instance of a YCC model developing zinc pest. Of course that does not mean they will never get these but if a YCC model released say 10 years ago is still as good as new I'd hope chances are good that it will never develop zinc pest.

Zinc rot is said to be caused by impurities in the zamac used during manufacture, and hence is quite unavoidable and beyond the control of the model owner. Below are some links with discussions and examples afflicting diecast models:

https://liveandletdiecast.kinja.com/zinc-pest-and-other-defects-and-solutions-1753455683
https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-400-scale-model-aircraft/108215-zinc-rot.html
https://www.wings900.com/vb/general-squawk-talk/50644-report-your-zinc-rot-affected-models-please.html

I really hope YCC are aware of the potential problem and ensure in their manufacturing that they use high-quality zamac alloy mixture.

Thoughts from more experienced collectors here?
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 10:27:55 AM

All I can say is,based on models from Conrad,NZG,CCM,Motorart,FirstGear,Joal,Siku,and a few others.The only issue I have had,is when the models are subject to extreme temperature differences,some are stored in a building that gets hot when the sun shines,even if it is a cold day.So during that time,the parts might get warm,then at night,they get really cold.Which means some metal might expand,or contract,then some parts fall off,or become loose,or some tyres have split.Not a big problem,at all.In 20+ years of collecting NONE of my models have suffered any Zinc rot.I can still look at and,handle models from years ago,quite safely.They have been stored in the house,though,and only ever had very slight temperature differences.
Uzair
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 11:19:35 AM

That's excellent news modelmaniac, thank you for sharing your experience! I'm also leaning towards believing that was zinc pest a significant problem with construction models we'd have had a few discussions here on these forums, facebook etc.

It seems that so far construction models are safe from the kind of problems afflicting some models in the cars, trains, and aircraft side of the diecast hobby. And yes I agree with your point about temperature (and humidity) fluctuations are not good for any kind of model. A great reason to never store models in uninsulated basements or attic lofts.
SDBOB
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 12:15:46 PM

My old Toostie toys,Smith Miller,and Dinkys seem fine even rubber tires.First run of Peterbilt low boys from Towsleys seem ok other than trailer camber.
Paul R
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 12:56:59 PM

I’ve around 200 cranes and 300 model trucks in my collection, mostly from WSI, NZG, YCC and Conrad.

Over the last 20 years of collecting I have personally had only one zinc rot isssue and that was with a Lion Toys trailer. Competely fell apart!

I have heard of some WSI Hitachi ZX870’s with this issue but not one so far.

Thanks,

Paul R
dain555
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 1:15:33 PM

Of all the models I have I only had issue with one, it was a First Gear Mack Granite tractor from the first run of the lowboy model. Basically I had the doors disintegrate and fall off. Other than that I have not had any other issues with any of my models.

Oh, on a side note, First Gear made it right with me as well as the distributor where I got it from.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 3:04:30 PM

I have been collecting over 30 years and my only problem was also a First Gear issue like dain555. The front hood of two of the Mack’s have spider cracks on the top of the hood, and I also had a door that fell off which I just glued back on. The A Smith models I have don’t disintegrate they just bend in the middle of the frames, and that usually happens before the tires on them split. No problems at all with Sword, Conrad, NZG or CCM. I collect only construction equipment models.
Steve
Jamiescotland
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 6:53:55 PM

It's a terrible thing when you have it happen to your own models. I've had quite a few models disintegrate and have gone from being upset to angry to resigned. I have had two 1:18 cars affected, one of which is a high end CMC model - a Mercedes W196 race car - falling apart right now. Construction items, I've had a rare Holzner NZG O&K RH30E face shovel and an equally rare NZG Isarkies RH30E fall to pieces. NZG sent me a small promotional excavator model from a toy fair a few years ago as compensation. Nice of them, but doesn't get my beloved and rare face shovels back. Also had an Ertl CAT 988B loader fall to pieces.
So it can affect construction models, and it is a worry. CMC don't want to know, even though the W196 is an expensive model at around £200.
Has it ever happened to a Conrad model? I hope not - I love Conrad models.
I did have an issue with a Weise Toys tractor in 1:32 scale - some bubbling started to appear in the paint. It looked just like zinc rot and I got worried again. I wrote to Weise with photos, and was sent a replacement model immediately by Mr Weise himself. Wonderful customer service and total piece of mind in that brand. The replacement is perfect. Suffice to say I've bought many more tractors since!
Uzair
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 7:14:24 PM

Thank you all for the detailed replies! Sets my mind at ease. It appears as if zinc pest is more prevalent in the car and aviation (especially airliners) side than in construction. Sets my mind at ease about the NZG and YCC cranes I've got!

Jamie the W196 is well known in the CMC collector community as getting the zinc pest. Their earlier Mercedes Benz 300 SL almost all have the problem (they've recently done a new round of this model, see https://www.cmc-modelcars.de/en/products/models-118/mercedes-benz/, these should be safe). And unlike your experience with Weise Toys I've never heard of CMC replacing or giving any refund for zinc pest infected models.

I hope that all contemporary model manufacturers are well aware of how to avoid zinc pest and take active steps to ensure their models last a long time. Certainly don't want the uber-expensive YCC cranes in particular to go bad one day!
Jamiescotland
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:32:26 AM

That's interesting to know, thanks. Shame on CMC for not caring though! It seems to affect their W125 Mercedes as well, as I've just seen someone's post on Facebook showing the terminal rot.
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:48:52 PM

Uzair, you might want to consider another issue that NZG doesn't have a problem with but I think the YCC and any Conrad crane does. It's changing out the plastic pins in the booms!! I know most NZG cranes use small bolts and nuts for the boom connections and that is a good thing but Conrad and I believe YCC use plastic pins, what I do is change them. I use either 00-90 or 0-80 brass bolts and nuts or I also use 00 or 0 brass rod with each end threaded for the proper nuts. This way I don't have to worry about the pins shearing as they get older. I know one of our members had their, I believe it was, LG1750 go down in a heap because the boom pins broke!! I get my bolts and nuts from here and my brass rod from here. I've also got taps and dies for the 00-90, 0-80 and 1-72 sizes which are the 3 most popular sizes used in the 1:50 scale models.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:09:37 PM

dain555 wrote:
I know one of our members had their, I believe it was, LG1750 go down in a heap because the boom pins broke!

If it’s the same one (DeWoc19 aka Zach) then it wasn’t the pins but the old style plastic connection between the upper and lower structures. Conrad have since changed these to metal, thankfully!

I’ve most YCC cranes made and several fully rigged. Touch wood I’ve not had one break yet and some have been standing for 7yrs or so. Maybe I’ll regret this statement one day but I hope not!

Paul R
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:38:27 PM

Paul R wrote:
dain555 wrote:
I know one of our members had their, I believe it was, LG1750 go down in a heap because the boom pins broke!

If it’s the same one (DeWoc19 aka Zach) then it wasn’t the pins but the old style plastic connection between the upper and lower structures. Conrad have since changed these to metal, thankfully!

I’ve most YCC cranes made and several fully rigged. Touch wood I’ve not had one break yet and some have been standing for 7yrs or so. Maybe I’ll regret this statement one day but I hope not!

Paul R

I don't remember if it was Dewoc19 or the other Paul we have on here, the one from here in Jacksonville, Florida, I think. He was also the one that had most of his collection stolen too!!

Dain

Uzair
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:49:40 PM

dain555 wrote:
Uzair, you might want to consider another issue that NZG doesn't have a problem with but I think the YCC and any Conrad crane does. It's changing out the plastic pins in the booms!! I know most NZG cranes use small bolts and nuts for the boom connections and that is a good thing but Conrad and I believe YCC use plastic pins, what I do is change them. I use either 00-90 or 0-80 brass bolts and nuts or I also use 00 or 0 brass rod with each end threaded for the proper nuts. This way I don't have to worry about the pins shearing as they get older. I know one of our members had their, I believe it was, LG1750 go down in a heap because the boom pins broke!! I get my bolts and nuts from here and my brass rod from here. I've also got taps and dies for the 00-90, 0-80 and 1-72 sizes which are the 3 most popular sizes used in the 1:50 scale models.

Great point dain. I have been told before (when I joined these forums last year) about Conrad using plastic pins, as has also been reported in several Cranes Etc reviews. However I'd be surprised if YCC use plastic pins in their models. Don't they use metal only?

As to Conrad damage prevention I don't have any Conrad cranes and am not intending on adding any - simply not enough space for all but the best models Shame on you But thanks for your advise on the replacement bolts and nuts! Teeth
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:02:27 PM

The only construction models I seen that are known for zinc pest are from Grip Zechin and some Shinsei pieces, both brands are from Japan circa mid to late 70's. I have one Grip Zechin Cat loader and a Anson 1/43 (closer to 1/50) Chevrolet 3500 which has minor Zinc Pest on the hood, but it is still sealed in the package. I heard many stories about what causes Zinc Pest it but I think it is caused by the climate where the models are stored, and the overall quality of the diecast itself.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

gbarnewall
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:27:58 PM

Jamiescotland wrote:
It's a terrible thing when you have it happen to your own models. I've had quite a few models disintegrate and have gone from being upset to angry to resigned. I have had two 1:18 cars affected, one of which is a high end CMC model - a Mercedes W196 race car - falling apart right now. Construction items, I've had a rare Holzner NZG O&K RH30E face shovel and an equally rare NZG Isarkies RH30E fall to pieces. NZG sent me a small promotional excavator model from a toy fair a few years ago as compensation. Nice of them, but doesn't get my beloved and rare face shovels back. Also had an Ertl CAT 988B loader fall to pieces.
So it can affect construction models, and it is a worry. CMC don't want to know, even though the W196 is an expensive model at around £200.
Has it ever happened to a Conrad model? I hope not - I love Conrad models.
I did have an issue with a Weise Toys tractor in 1:32 scale - some bubbling started to appear in the paint. It looked just like zinc rot and I got worried again. I wrote to Weise with photos, and was sent a replacement model immediately by Mr Weise himself. Wonderful customer service and total piece of mind in that brand. The replacement is perfect. Suffice to say I've bought many more tractors since!

I had it happen to one of my 1/18 cars too, a Kyosho BMW E46 M3, on a shelf with several others unaffected,took it down during a cleaning session and noticed the doors didn't quite fit right,the paint had gotten a turtle shell pattern to it "crack like", the doors and hood just fell off in my fingers and I could break them like a chocolate easter egg,nothing of my 1/50 or 1/48 stuff has developed this thankfully,I have heard before the Corgi stuff is highly prone to it happening

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 3:43:19 AM

All we can really do as collectors is to share information about which older models are affected. That way we can avoid buying them in the future.
If you look on some of the 1:18 model car forums, zinc pest is talked about a lot, and we now have lists of models that are known to be susceptible. The Kyosho BMW E46 is one of them I'm afraid, as is my Merc W196 (but only particular variants I'm told). The WSI Hitachi 870s can also be affected.
dain555
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 11:28:59 AM

In actuality any diecast model can be affected by the deterioration. In large part it is due to the diecast metal either not being up to full temperature when they start the casting process or from impurities in the mold, molten metal line to the mold or in the melting pot. I've collected diecast models for over 50 years and even the ones I collected as a kid (Matchbox, Hot Wheels and Corgi) would have issues with them as they aged some.

Unfortunately with the models we are collecting today and the cost of them it makes the issues with the deterioration a bit more concerning.

Dain

modelmaniac
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 1:33:19 PM

Fully agree with dain555.He has hit the nail right on the head by saying the models we are collecting today,and the cost,of buying,and producing,will undoubtedly cause issues,in the future.We can only wait 20-30 years to tell if they are good quality castings.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:07:34 AM

Ressurecting an old thread here, but it's a useful one that highlights some models that are know to be affected by zinc rot.
I can add a new one to the list unfortunately, and it's the very lovely 1:25 Allis Chalmers HD41 bulldozer by First Gear.
I found the following listing on Ebay recently. The photos by the seller are excellent and show crumbling ripper assembly, crumbling tracks and possibly the beginnings of the blade having issues. What a disaster as this model really is a beauty.

Here is the ebay listing -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allis-Chalmers-HD-41-Bulldozer-/123653462649?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=5var5R24KReq9JJ%252F%252FmHTG0tu7e4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I also bought a Legest 1:40 Sumitomo SH210 excavator recently, and the bucket is crumbling with zinc rot. I bought it for the tracks so not really a problem, providing they aren't affected too! Time will tell.